Duke street plans

The plans for shops and apartments have been approved with the usual conditions i.e. four years to commence building, sufficient garage space to accommodate apartments plus bike room, six stories high.   Surrounding buildings four stories high,.  Objections from the Villiers plot owners...how very dare they..the state of their plot and it it has been like that for years !!!!Now this sounds fairly reasonable to me except for the four year clause, why four years if they have the plans and permission why not start now ?   It will cause great disruption as they are knocking down from the fried chicken shop to Fenton next to the lane, have we not had enough disruption with the main shopping center being dug up and relaid, the promenade ongoing etc..  I am not against progress but why hang about.   The premier inn caused some disruption but fair to them they got on with it and it was completed in good time and seems to be an asset to Douglas.   What do you all think ?

Re-development of this area is long overdue. For what it’s worth, they can tell the Villiers owners to f*ck off. Reduce the time scale to 18 months maximum then just get on with it

• Thanks 2

I like the artist's impressions of how it will look on iomtoday.

Umbrellas, wet paving and pissing rain. :lol:

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The plans for shops and apartments have been approved with the usual conditions i.e. four years to commence building, sufficient garage space to accommodate apartments plus bike room, six stories high.   Surrounding buildings four stories high,.  Objections from the Villiers plot owners...how very dare they..the state of their plot and it it has been like that for years !!!!Now this sounds fairly reasonable to me except for the four year clause, why four years if they have the plans and permission why not start now ?   It will cause great disruption as they are knocking down from the fried chicken shop to Fenton next to the lane, have we not had enough disruption with the main shopping center being dug up and relaid, the promenade ongoing etc..  I am not against progress but why hang about.   The premier inn caused some disruption but fair to them they got on with it and it was completed in good time and seems to be an asset to Douglas.   What do you all think ?

Could it be that it raises its value because it has planning permission so enabling it to be sold at a profit without a stone being turned?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Rog said:

Could it be that it raises its value because it has planning permission so enabling it to be sold at a profit without a stone being turned?

and once sold to someone not in the clique the planning per mission gets revoked

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, WTF said:

and once sold to someone not in the clique the planning per mission gets revoked

Revoked? That can't happen. It lapses after 5 years if the development doesn't start, but once granted and all the appeal processes are exhausted, it can't be revoked.

17 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Surely it willbe happening fairly soon otherwise it wouldnt have made sense to clear out the tenants. Carshop have moved and the butty shop closed. Is Fentons still open there? 

Fenton's have moved in the last few days, to a new shop just around the corner in Victoria Street, so the developers now have vacant possession of the whole block. 

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Love the way the artist has managed to merge 6 floors down to 4 so it looks the same height all the way through. wonder if he can shrink the pension deficit so as it looks like a small blip on the accounts

basement and attic?

The impression the write up gave was the two extra stories would tower above the four storey buildings..heading in rag said only way is up.   However, knowing the half stories and inaccuracies in same you could well be right.

14 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

If it happens I will show my arse in the new and improved Burtons window.

So you are a bit of a snob then  ?

It was always Woollies window, so must surely be Poundland that is the venue.;)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1
On 6/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, Non-Believer said:

I like the artist's impressions of how it will look on iomtoday.

Umbrellas, wet paving and pissing rain. :lol:

That’s no impression!!

• Haha 1
On 6/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, Derek Flint said:

If it happens I will show my arse in the new and improved Burtons window.

Only if you similarly have a new and improved arse please.

• Haha 1