Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rushen Spy

Tynwald Day 2019

Recommended Posts

Do we have a list of Royals et al coming over this year yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should not be any English Royals present as we 'celebrate' what is left of our once proud independent Nation.

While we are at it, what on earth are we doing putting the English crown and orb? designs on the back of our 50p piece? There should be Manx symbols on our coins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Do we have a list of Royals et al coming over this year yet?

Yes - the King of Comedy Howard Quayle has pledged to turn up in an ill-fitting suit. Again.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Howard be wearing his blue shirt with the white collar.

 

Edited by gettafa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, display name said:

Is someone planning to bomb Tynwald?

i hope so.     :D

Edited by WTF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Do we have a list of Royals et al coming over this year yet?

Yup - it's on the Tynwald website. I was going to link to it but if you can't be arsed looking in the obvious place, I can't be arsed linking it:D

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kopek said:

There should not be any English Royals present as we 'celebrate' what is left of our once proud independent Nation.

While we are at it, what on earth are we doing putting the English crown and orb? designs on the back of our 50p piece? There should be Manx symbols on our coins.

Tynwald Day is not a celebration of independence. It's an exercise of parliamentary sovereignty. In the UK, sovereignty resides jointly between the monarch and the parliament: it's called "Queen-in-Parliament" as it requires an assembly of Parliament and the monarch in Parliament to give Royal Assent.

If the Isle of Man is ever to progress from a feudal monarchical system into a real parliamentary democracy, we need to retain Tynwald Day and the Monarch's attendance (or a representative of the Monarch) as a way to follow the UK model of sovereignty. Without a Royal representative, it may as well be a teddy bear picnic because it wouldn't be worth a dime as far as parliamentary sovereignty is concerned.

Edited by Rushen Spy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kopek said:

There should not be any English Royals present as we 'celebrate' what is left of our once proud independent Nation.

 

Was there ever anything to be proud of. Really.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Was there ever anything to be proud of. Really.

Yes, I think so. I have happy memories of the 70s over here, of course we were all a lot younger then and life seemed simpler without the now obligatory devices and gadgets. But there was more "community" and neighbourliness. Less greed and self centredness. No drugs and less violence.

And people in charge SEEMED to know what they were doing anyway. And there was certainly a lot less of them. There seemed to be fewer financial disasters to be covered up too. Maybe it's just my rosy glasses though....

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I am very proud of our significant involvement in smuggling and evading unjust customs and immoral taxes of the British Empire.

That took a lot of guts and cunning. We really stuck it to the man back then.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, I think so. I have happy memories of the 70s over here, 

.

There seemed to be fewer financial disasters to be covered up too. Maybe it's just my rosy glasses though....

Rosie glasses syndrome.

The biggest and most far-reaching financial 'disaster' of which, the grand-daddy of all so-called financial disasters (it wasn't a disaster at all, it was a scam from the start, backed by Isle of Man Government) the Savings & Investment Bank (SIB) - collapsed June 1976. although of course those in the know, including the Bishop and the church, had special insider knowledge and took their money out 6 months before the doors were closed and just after 'someone' spilt the beans to the Isle of Man government treasury who pretended nothing had happened and it would all go away.

They all got off with it too, trial collapsed and they went on to carry on their 'little ways'. Even today they are at it, them that haven't died yet.

The 70s. Even better than the 60s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Rosie glasses syndrome.

The biggest and most far-reaching financial 'disaster' of which, the grand-daddy of all so-called financial disasters (it wasn't a disaster at all, it was a scam from the start, backed by Isle of Man Government) the Savings & Investment Bank (SIB) - collapsed June 1976. although of course those in the know, including the Bishop and the church, had special insider knowledge and took their money out 6 months before the doors were closed and just after 'someone' spilt the beans to the Isle of Man government treasury who pretended nothing had happened and it would all go away.

They all got off with it too, trial collapsed and they went on to carry on their 'little ways'. Even today they are at it, them that haven't died yet.

The 70s. Even better than the 60s.

76, thought it was 82?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...