Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Last Ten

Fynoderee Manx Gin

Try the new Beefeater Blood Orange gin. Very nice.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, Rushen Spy said:

I read somewhere that gin is good for weight loss. Not sure if it's true or not though; you know how they're always changing their minds about these things.

When they say this is Manx gin, is it literally all grown and produced here, or is it just bottled here?

As with 99% of craft gin, it starts as neutral grain spirit, which is shipped in. After that, they use as much local stuff for botanicals as they can, and it’s all done on three open-flame stills up at Jurby. Their distiller, Gerard, is ex-Tanqueray and Masons. Knows his craft.

What they’ve achieved from a standing start is remarkable - not just in product quality, but branding and placement as well.  A real IOM success story in what is a very saturated market

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, Max Power said:

We seem to have a few spirit distilleries now, this one plus Seven Kingdom, Cronk y Voddy Vodka and Manx Spirit. 

I bought a bottle of Liverpool gin as a present, £34 in Shoprite, £40 in Liverpool Airport Duty Free???

It is a massively under exploited sector. I looked for an opportunity to create a malt whisky distillery for about 4 years, but after losing out earlier this year on the Bungalow museum site, I’ve drawn a line under it. It was fun, but after a rough 2018 I’ve taken a position on what the rest of my life looks like and whether I wanted to be working 80 hours a week.

It is simple enough to set up in a warehouse somewhere, but one of the big problems is finding a 5000 sq ft building, or space to build one, with a decent aesthetic where you can do all the nice periphery like a visitor centre, which helps tourism, and adds another attraction to the fold. I know Fynoderee are really in need of another move, and have similarly struggled to find the right place.

I really do believe that there is potential growth in this sector, to create some really unique, world-beating spirits across gin, whisky and particularly rum, which is the new emerging ‘thing’.

They can all be exported, create a VAT and Excise return too. Surprisingly I found little appetite from Government. 

Big opportunities to be had for the right people.

PS - if anyone does know of any premises that might fit the bill, esp. up north, give Fynoderee a shout. I’m sure there will be a drink in it for you!

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It is a massively under exploited sector. I looked for an opportunity to create a malt whisky distillery for about 4 years, but after losing out earlier this year on the Bungalow museum site, I’ve drawn a line under it. It was fun, but after a rough 2018 I’ve taken a position on what the rest of my life looks like and whether I wanted to be working 80 hours a week.

It is simple enough to set up in a warehouse somewhere, but one of the big problems is finding a 5000 sq ft building, or space to build one, with a decent aesthetic where you can do all the nice periphery like a visitor centre, which helps tourism, and adds another attraction to the fold. I know Fynoderee are really in need of another move, and have similarly struggled to find the right place.

I really do believe that there is potential growth in this sector, to create some really unique, world-beating spirits across gin, whisky and particularly rum, which is the new emerging ‘thing’.

They can all be exported, create a VAT and Excise return too. Surprisingly I found little appetite from Government. 

Big opportunities to be had for the right people.

PS - if anyone does know of any premises that might fit the bill, esp. up north, give Fynoderee a shout. I’m sure there will be a drink in it for you!

Didn't somebody try (and fail) to produce a Manx whiskey a few years back? Tried it once then used the rest of it to clean my paint brushes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Didn't somebody try (and fail) to produce a Manx whiskey a few years back? Tried it once then used the rest of it to clean my paint brushes

I believe he ran into trouble in calling it whiskey or whisky? It was also clear and so it is now marketed as Manx Spirit!

http://www.manx-spirit.com/manx.htm

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Are there not even larger Govt industrial units and premises available to rent on the Jurby Industrial Estate? I thought there was a major push to develop up there?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

On 7/5/2019 at 9:24 PM, finlo said:

No such thing as duty free!:whistling:

Depends where you’re flying to. There is if it’s outside the EU/EEA/Single Market/Customs Union.

Liverpool has a few such flights.

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Depends where you’re flying to. There is if it’s outside the EU/EEA/Single Market/Customs Union.

Liverpool has a few such flights.

What happens after Brexit though.:(

6 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

What happens after Brexit though.:(

The only thing we know for certain is that the UK economy will suffer for about a generation.  Apart from that, who knows...

31 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

The only thing we know for certain is that the UK economy will suffer for about a generation.  Apart from that, who knows...

Do you have anything concrete to back that up?

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 8:18 AM, Neil Down said:

And before that, Leslie Salts (he of the beautiful Ramsey redevelopment scheme and other such matters) had an instant whisky operation in mind.

From 1974, as posted on MF in February:

241572608_19740628IMEp05LeslieSalts-LucianLandauWhisky-FinancialTalks.thumb.jpg.ba4e7647acc02da440788360994c9b96.jpg

Now that stuff @Neil Down would have cleaned those paint brushes in seconds.

Edited by gettafa

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

And before that, Leslie Salts (he of the beautiful Ramsey redevelopment scheme and other such matters) had an instant whisky operation in mind.

From 1974, as posted on MF in February:

241572608_19740628IMEp05LeslieSalts-LucianLandauWhisky-FinancialTalks.thumb.jpg.ba4e7647acc02da440788360994c9b96.jpg

Now that stuff @Neil Down would have cleaned those paint brushes in seconds.

:lol: I couldn't even begin to imagine the horrors that would impart on your palate...

On 7/15/2019 at 8:18 AM, Neil Down said:

No.

It was, and still is, re-distilled scotch whisky. The SWA took them to court and they had to stop calling it whisky.

It is now Manx Spirit