Hey, Let's Grow The Population

It's a nice thought. Step up from 2.2 kids to 3, maybe 4 or more? But that isn't what growing the population is about just now.

It's about building a couple of thousand more houses and finding people to put in them.

Thomas defends need to plan for 2,400 homes in east

That is what the politicians want and so one has to assume that is what you want.

(crossed topic but hey)

Edited by gettafa
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you remember when you could get a doctors appointment? A&E didn't involve a 5 hour time write off? And all children went to the dentist? Fuckin progressive society my arse. Like has been said,

Got told off by a politician by email today during the show for saying that 'growing our economically active population' is gubmint speak for 'needing more taxpayers'. In my robust reply I asked said

Last week I rang for a Doctor appointment and was offered one just short of a month away. So, if we make it Government Policy to increase the population we are going to need more Doctors..  So, w

Posted Images

Yep, let's get them up and sold off to Chinese-backed buy to rent consortiums. Just like a good few around my bijoux.

Which then lie empty for months on end waiting for tenants who never seem to stay for very long either for some reason (maybe it's the neighbours :lol: ). Along with the other 2500+ empty properties on the Island. But hey, we don't really cherish those green fields, do we? And the landowners are all on their uppers.

But here's an idea. How about putting the roads, sewerage, health and other societal-necessary infrastructure in place first before we put these vast numbers of extra people into our society. How long could the Island currently sustain a TT-sized population for without meltdown?

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Yep, let's get them up and sold off to Chinese-backed buy to rent consortiums. Just like a good few around my bijoux.

Which then lie empty for months on end waiting for tenants who never seem to stay for very long either for some reason (maybe it's the neighbours :lol: ). Along with the other 2500+ empty properties on the Island. But hey, we don't really cherish those green fields, do we? And the landowners are all on their uppers.

But here's an idea. How about putting the roads, sewerage, health and other societal-necessary infrastructure in place first before we put these vast numbers of extra people into our society. How long could the Island currently sustain a TT-sized population for without meltdown?

Couldn't agree more NB. The powers that be decided it would be a good idea to let them build about 20 or so houses where I live. No thought about sewerage etc. Result - modern housing area trying to survive with 1940's style sewers. Then they wonder why there is problems

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Nail & head.

IOM (Douglas in particular) looks, feels like any other town in the North West of England with roads, pavements and smells all being very familiar.

• Like 1

Unless every new member of the population increases the invisible exports more than they increase the cost of the imports that they consume growing the population is a VERY bad idea.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rog said:

Unless every new member of the population increases the invisible exports more than they increase the cost of the imports that they consume growing the population is a VERY bad idea.

Have to say someone should pin Thomas down and give him the 5 x Why? treatment...

• Like 2

Do you remember when you could get a doctors appointment? A&E didn't involve a 5 hour time write off? And all children went to the dentist? Fuckin progressive society my arse. Like has been said, we do not have the infrastructure to support the current population - shut up waffle boy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, gettafa said:

It's a nice thought. Step up from 2.2 kids to 3, maybe 4 or more? But that isn't what growing the population is about just now.

It's about building a couple of thousand more houses and finding people to put in them.

Thomas defends need to plan for 2,400 homes in east

That is what the politicians want and so one has to assume that is what you want.

It has striking parallels with the building of the too big incinerator energy from waste plant, and then having to import waste to put into it. They don't learn.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, woolley said:

It has striking parallels with the building of the too big incinerator energy from waste plant, and then having to import waste to put into it. They don't learn.

Huge facilities with huge pricetags dreamed up by huge egos.

Who will be parading round a huge mound of earth tomorrow.

• Like 1

But to be fair, if the incinerator needs a population of say 110,000 or more so that it runs properly, then why don't we grow the population to allow it to do so.

I think Chris Thomas is onto something here.

I do not think he is on to something, I think he is on something . All this to try and keep the defective pension scheme going, Do they get a pension for just one term in office. I hope not, And I hope they get stuffed as they should at the next election.

4 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I do not think he is on to something, I think he is on something . All this to try and keep the defective pension scheme going, Do they get a pension for just one term in office. I hope not, And I hope they get stuffed as they should at the next election.

Me neither, Its a bit like the constant push to grow the population to match the size of government!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, woolley said:

Maybe "they" should just burn all our rubbish, instead of pretending that recycling paper, plastic and wood is making money. It isn't and never can be when it has to be shipped out. Full stop. I doubt that any of the recycling set ups make anything but a big loss. ( and no, it is not saving anybody's planet ) 

Edited by dilligaf