Privatise the Airport

6 minutes ago, Giggleberrys said:

The current security team are at the airport 24/7

What! An entire prime time shift?

Surely not.

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What! An entire prime time shift?

Surely not.

??? DOI security team off 12 cover 24/7, 3 staff in day and 2 staff at night. Contractor covers airport opening doing staff and passenger screening, team off around 60+

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I noticed that various "must have" ancillary services were not only paid somewhat above the market rate but were also costing more than average due to overtime erc. So for example how many shifts are they running and how? I had to delve into a secure data facility one time to find that security were essentially running themselves.

Well for someone with good fire service experience I’m sure there’s a solution. 

12 hours ago, snowman said:

@madmanxpilot

Go to 4.32pm

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/u2457#2159ea2d

457 comes up from Bristol, no hold, straight in to land

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/u2635#2159d52b

635 comes from LPL, goes in to the hold, in the meantime 457 goes past it and lands. 635 continues in the hold whilst 457 lands. 635 is facing northwards when 457 lands and yet it still diverts

It may have been pointing northwards - but from FL160 its at least 10 minutes to landing - you can't just dive straight in even if you were the only aircraft in the sky. Stobart DUB went around, giving an indication to other aircraft that conditions were still not good enough. The visibility was above minima, but the minimal approach lights here meant that at decision altitude of 200 feet above the runway, they obviously didn't have the required visual references to legally land. Once the Flybe BHX landed, the other aircraft would most likely be chomping at the bit to make an approach realising things had improved. The BRS was beneath the LPL at this time, meaning it would have been ahead of it in the queue. Multiple factors and considerations in play, most of which we'll never be aware of, but  nothing sinister as far as I can see.

• Thanks 1

Latest from the airport .....

The road outside the airport where pick ups are allowed now is going to be closed and everyone will pick up in the car park ! Apparently they already have the signage !

The inside lane will remain open for taxis and buses and clients visiting the private jet centre !

Apparently it has been kept under wraps because of the negative public view of the blacked out windows !

It seems a good idea to make a failing business even more unfriendly !

You cannot be serious, man!

But silly me, I'm sure that you forgot to mention the construction of a covered walk-way from the front door to the under-cover pick-up area in the car park.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

You cannot be serious, man!

But silly me, I'm sure that you forgot to mention the construction of a covered walk-way from the front door to the under-cover pick-up area in the car park.

Wasn't told that bit ! doesn't alter more folly imo.

50 minutes ago, asitis said:

Latest from the airport .....

The inside lane will remain open for taxis and buses and clients visiting the private jet centre !

Is the outside lane going to allow through traffic for access to the staff/reserved space car park, those visiting the valet parking business and others wishing to exit the airport via the southern roundabout?

it will all get fucked up in a most useless manner as usual.

• Like 4

It will only lead to people stopping at entrance roundabout to drop off, which will lead to more traffic police being employed to move people on, leading to bollards and barriers being installed to stop people stopping where their not meant to stop.......usual bollocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonatti said:

It will only lead to people stopping at entrance roundabout to drop off, which will lead to more traffic police being employed to move people on, leading to bollards and barriers being installed to stop people stopping where their not meant to stop.......usual bollocks.

Yes it’s as clear as day to non civil servants isn’t it. 

I spent most of my service trying to make things easier. Accountable always, but easier. Some of this was predicated on me being an idle bugger at heart, but also the easy way is usually the more straightforward way.

we seem to have a civil service that will always look for the most difficult pathway, and then fuck it up some more. 

Peoople do not want to be traipsing around a bloody car park looking for their pick up, especially in a 30knot westerly with accompanying stair rods. The Airport management just seem hell-bent on making air travel as unpleasant as possible. You’d think that there had recently  been an appointment of someone who had been working in UK airports, the way they are carrying on.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

You can set of for a destination even if the weather is not good enough to land there provided you have at least destination alternates available. The weather in the IOM can be so variable that the place to be is often in the holding pattern to the south east of the airport rather than sat on the deck in the UK. This will allow you to take advantage of any short duration improvement. Experience and good judgement is used to decide whether this is a viable plan.

The only difference between your take off weight and your landing weight is the fuel you've burned (unless bits of the plane have fallen off or someone has jumped out), so, as we know the weight we took off at, and exactly what we've burned, we know what weight we are landing at.

Every aircraft has a maximum authorised landing weight - it's called the structural limit. Invariably it is less than the maximum take off weight because of technical reasons you can google. You need to consider how much fuel you are going to put on to make sure you use enough of it getting where you are going to be at or below max landing weight.

In the main, it is the structural limit which is limiting, but when you come to a short runway like the IOM, particularly the secondary runway, 03-21, you need to take the other factors into account. As those factors such as wind, temperature, runway state and air pressure are variable, we do this calculations in the air prior to landing.

So, just out of interest, what has temperature, and air pressure have to do with it ?

3 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

So, just out of interest, what has temperature, and air pressure have to do with it ?

Air pressure and tempetature affect the density of the air. Aircraft performance decreases with lowering air density. You need to consider this for take off, and for the missed approach climb gradient when landing.

6 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Air pressure and tempetature affect the density of the air. Aircraft performance decreases with lowering air density. You need to consider this for take off, and for the missed approach climb gradient when landing.

I assume you have an on-board computer to make all of those calculations / decisions ?

• Haha 2