Jump to content

Privatise the Airport


piebaps
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Or worse the mooted Longworth - right after demonstrating such operational competence over the horse tram clusterfuck on the prom. 

Does transferring ownership/operations to a private company owned by treasury necessarily mean a change of managing personnel?

Arms length just means that politicians in a department don’t/shouldn’t be exercising control, but a board of directors.

It may, or may not, improve operational efficiency. May improve financial transparency. It won’t mean an immediate management change.

What it does do, in part, is insulate politicians and civil servants from back lash from unpopular decisions, because “ its at arms length” - not their direct responsibility.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Does transferring ownership/operations to a private company owned by treasury necessarily mean a change of managing personnel?

Arms length just means that politicians in a department don’t/shouldn’t be exercising control, but a board of directors.

It may, or may not, improve operational efficiency. May improve financial transparency. It won’t mean an immediate management change.

What it does do, in part, is insulate politicians and civil servants from back lash from unpopular decisions, because “ its at arms length” - not their direct responsibility.

Exactly what I was getting at, if rumour is to be believed, those responsible for it being a balls up may well continue in the role, but the politicos have insulated themselves from the aforementioned shambles ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

What it does do, in part, is insulate politicians and civil servants from back lash from unpopular decisions, because “ its at arms length” - not their direct responsibility.

Unpopular decisions being cutting staffing levels, putting up prices and inventing new charges.

Pick up and drop off charges have become all the rage in the UK. Literally:

A senior judge dubbed new Manchester Airport drop-off fees 'unjust' and an 'absolute disgrace' as he freed a teacher who left a parking official fearing for his life during a road rage row over the charges.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-45599295

At Manchester Terminal 3, which always seems to me to be too small, pick up, especially by taxi, adds another £4 onto your fare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, asitis said:

Exactly what I was getting at, if rumour is to be believed, those responsible for it being a balls up may well continue in the role, but the politicos have insulated themselves from the aforementioned shambles ! 

I’m sure that will happen. Arms length is pretty much a way of giving the lunatics the keys to the asylum. Then turning round and politically claiming that they aren’t our lunatics anymore. They’re now someone else’s lunatics and you’ll have to complain to them. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Does transferring ownership/operations to a private company owned by treasury necessarily mean a change of managing personnel?

Arms length just means that politicians in a department don’t/shouldn’t be exercising control, but a board of directors.

It may, or may not, improve operational efficiency. May improve financial transparency. It won’t mean an immediate management change.

But it worked so well when we tried it with the MEA!

Luckily the current management of the Airport have absolutely no record of capital projects that go massively over budget, are years late in delivery and were completely unnecessary in the first place.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m sure that will happen. Arms length is pretty much a way of giving the lunatics the keys to the asylum. Then turning round and politically claiming that they aren’t our lunatics anymore. They’re now someone else’s lunatics and you’ll have to complain to them. 

Yep, but remember when it does happen, they are the mhks who voted now for approval of an arms length company without any clue of the subject and trusting in a bunch of consultants only interested in claiming their cream, who only say there Might be some savings possible. So they are 100% accountable for the upcoming fiasco. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, lcd said:

Yep, but remember when it does happen, they are the mhks who voted now for approval of an arms length company without any clue of the subject and trusting in a bunch of consultants only interested in claiming their cream, who only say there Might be some savings possible. So they are 100% accountable for the upcoming fiasco. 

Every "Consultancy" output I ever read was a set of obvious generalities strung together with words like "leveraging synergies" with vague allusions to having "realistic pricing setting the expectation" and so forth.

You can be certain of one thing - the new "umbrella" organisation will come at a cost.

So the first task they will give themselves is to make sure they recoup enough to cover their own hit to the current bottom line......

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went through the airport on Friday night, nice to see they've "done up the security area" but the staff.............the guy there on Friday, what a moody, scruffy individual.

Zero manners "HANDS", when doing that wipe thing, couldn't crack a smile if he tried.

4 of them by the scanners stood around chatting, x-ray boxes pulled to the side for checking and the blonde one with a face like a slapped ass when someone asked to come down and check them..............my god quite possibly the worst airport experience of my life!!!!

 

Sell it to a company who'll not only replace the moody staff but invest some money in the place improving the experience, if they're the lasting faces when people leave the IOM.........god help IOM PLC.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Knoxville said:

Sell it to a company who'll not only replace the moody staff but invest some money in the place improving the experience, if they're the lasting faces when people leave the IOM.........god help IOM PLC.

Um ... you do realise that those security staff are the part that has already been privatised? 

So consider yourself lucky - you're already getting what you asked for.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Knoxville said:

 

Sell it to a company who'll not only replace the moody staff but invest some money in the place improving the experience, if they're the lasting faces when people leave the IOM.........god help IOM PLC.

 

 

There’s a very subtle difference to arms lengthing between a successful commercial business, like the Steam Packet or MEA ( ignoring the cable loan ), which make money, and the Meat Plant, public transport, Flour Mill, Manx Radio and Airport, which don’t.

The arms length for the latter is illusory as soon as investment is needed, that’s still politically controlled.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is that the current management are to continue in post I cannot understand why you would want that to happen. An arms length operation does not suddenly explain why they have no idea what the losses are or indeed where they are and why ?  The situation has festered for years where public money is the backstop for management failings and accountability !

The skill set required to run any business when every problem and service failing is solved with cash is entirely different to the set required to change and improve when no cash is available. IMO the current management posses neither skill set !

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...