Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
piebaps

Privatise the Airport

15 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

thanks john, so smoke and mirrors really saying that the airport is operationally "loss making" as it wasn't clear at all in that redacted report if APD was included in the airports income.

Looks like in 17/18 Government raked in £7.5m from APD according to this fella discussing a slash in APD.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-government-can-decide-on-passenger-tax-cut/

Bit of a farce if they don't include APD, as without an airport, NO APD!!! :) I think the issue rather is that APD goes into the general government pot, rather than being specifically allocated for airport matters, which in any sensible world it should be....

Just like any revenue generated by the harbours should go directly back into the harbours.

York do point out that in U.K. APD doesn’t go to the operating airport. Here it, and ports departure tax, go to the treasury, which, again unlike U.K., funds the capital infrastructure spend.

So, really, they’re saying it needs to be run commercially, so that income and expenditure is properly identified and maximising income is prioritised.

To save between £300,000 and £900,000 a year, best guess, York acknowledge it’ll cost £350,000 to £1 million to introduce and manage and deliver change.

Realistically can the airport attract more rent paying, revenue sharing, shops/cafes? I doubt. I’ve not bought more than a can of pop or water in 5 years. I don’t drink Costa.

So, it’s parking, barriers and pick up/drop off charges and fees to taxis. User pays.

The tables in York show that yield is down £1million over 5 years with passengers increasing. But that’s down to fewer aircraft movements.

Interesting that EasyJet and Flybe are level pegging at 40% passenger traffic each, approx.

Ah, found in the audited 2017/18 govt accounts included in Customs & Excise Treasury income Air Passenger Duty receipts 2017/18  £5.054m (page 63)
Also in those accounts, the DoI's operating losses from "ports" was £4.6m (page 54)

Yes, fair enough, the capital spend also has to be funded, so APD and ports departure tax go to Treasury who then allocate the capital spend.

Agree it's difficult to attract more shops/retail on departure, as people don't spend long enough in the airport awaiting departure as it's not a transfer hub!

pickup/drop off charges/fees to taxi's cause more aggravation and ill will than they're worth. Would rather losses were made than additional £150k revenue and all the ill will that creates.

4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I saw a reference to an FOi response Buster has apparently posted up on FB which states that the airport has something like 110 full time employees. With about 40 police and fire people on top of that. That’s why this stuff happens because some crappy airport at the arse end of nowhere with really low passenger throughput can justify employing over 100 to provide an almost third world service to our residents and visitors.  

There have never been 40 odd Airport Police, the highest number was 13 but now just 12 plus 4 warranted airport duty officers. The York report stated that some of the security functions these airport police/Avsec officers do could be out sourced, but rather than looking at doing just that the director wanted 250K off them, which obviously they couldn't so 10 off them are becoming redundant in 9 weeks and the others hoping for redeployment.

The current private security contractor has been asked to take on board some of their duties, some just won't get done and some they are off loading to other depts in the airport. Unfortunately for the tax payer and travelling public, the current security contractor who will be doing this new work is the same company that report shows was bailed out with lots off ££ by the airport in Jan 2018, they struggle to have enough staff now and have no staff as yet to start the Avsec work whilst using greater staff numbers than what the DOI used!!

If after all this they save a fiver, it'd be a miracle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Interesting that EasyJet and Flybe are level pegging at 40% passenger traffic each, approx.

But how much of that is hospital traffic?

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But how much of that is hospital traffic?

It’s in the report it’s about 11,000. So if EZY Flybe carry 300,000 each in round terms, it’s a very small percentage. However flybe get £155 per single ( transferable ) ticket for patient transfers, so it’s higher in revenue terms.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes, first post in this topic, pages 10-14 and 30 onwards in the first appendix.

Thanks John.

31 minutes ago, MrPB said:

The FOi output posted above by Roger Mexico confirms 31 fire fighters and the poster seemed to refer to police and fire fighters. So that’s a figure Government seems to have confirmed itself. Are there any airport police? More like airport traffic wardens. 

Yep 31 fire fighters that Roger stated is correct, however the sultanofsheight stated 40 airport police. Having worked there myself a few years ago, I can confirm the maximum has ever been 13 warranted constables (24hr coverage) carrying out various security functions, using their warrants and other mundane duties. Then 4 Airport duty officers.

I am grateful for the link from JW, and having read it pleased that the York report roughly mirrors the report government were given in 2006 and which that intellectual colossus, the then CM referred to as an academic document of no value ! particularly regarding the effects of low cost carriers !

The passenger numbers have not risen as predicted by Government, again alliterated in the 2006 document !

Perhaps it is time government learned to listen a little to clever academic people on the island free gratis, who have nothing to gain ! before jumping with both feet and then having to commission a report later to find out the problems !

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scarbunny said:

I read that as meaning the Fire and Rescue salary is in addition to the Airport staff figure so an average of 61,327 per person based on 110 employees.

Considering ATCO are on up to £80k with at least one on £90k according to current vacancies that'll skew everything higher.

That's what I thought would skew the figures. Are those figures comparable to a UK airport with similar very low pax rates?

If so not really any savings to be made from salaries then....

11 minutes ago, snowman said:

the answer is to increase the population

Hi Chris!

• Haha 3

Buster is totally mental, but good on him for asking the questions. Imagine what someone with a correctly functioning brain could achieve if they could be bothered. 

2 hours ago, P.K. said:
8 hours ago, scarbunny said:

Considering ATCO are on up to £80k with at least one on £90k according to current vacancies that'll skew everything higher.

That's what I thought would skew the figures. Are those figures comparable to a UK airport with similar very low pax rates?

If so not really any savings to be made from salaries then....

The figures you get from searching for ATCO salaries seem to vary quite a lot, but the York report seems to suggest that the ones on the Island are a bit higher than standard (maybe 15% I saw elsewhere) but that might be needed to attract qualified people to a more out of the way location.  What they did highlight however was the way the basic salaries (not just ATCO) were bumped up massively by additional payments.  

3 hours ago, MrPB said:

I’m not sure it did. That’s not how I read it. The post you refer to seems to refer to 40 police and fire fighters. So that would be 31 plus 4 if your numbers are correct. 

Whenever the word " Buster" is mentioned, the topic needs to end.

That man has very serious issues and the DHSC has failed in it's duty, if he is free to post shite 24/7