Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
piebaps

Privatise the Airport

21 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

There never used to be.

50ED226D-FE02-47F8-9960-A1D0E27BD90E.png

Why is there a Manx Airlines plane at the airport? Not the little one by the museum, something larger over by the hangers?

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:12 PM, hissingsid said:

Yes Manx Airlines were great at that if there was a flight going earlier than yours and there was room they would swap your ticket with a smile, makes sense there was more chance of selling the ticket for the later flight.   Customers on airlines used to be treated really well now they are like cattle wagons, they seem to they they are doing us a favour letting us fly on their crappy planes with little leg room, crap food and the air hostess's are not what they used to be either.   And security well...they are ok over here but across you are treated like a criminal.

The problem is sid that the prices these days haven't increased in line with inflation. I have an old ticket from 1987 for a Manx flight to Liverpool for £78. With that price came assorted rights. I can still have those rights now, however I have to pay for it. I can't reasonably expect a 1987 price in 2019 without compromising somewhere. The expectation to hop on an earlier flight without paying extra is simply unreasonable. You have the option at the time of booking to select the earlier flight or pay a flexible fare on the later one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Why is there a Manx Airlines plane at the airport? Not the little one by the museum, something larger over by the hangers?

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, John Wright said:

50ED226D-FE02-47F8-9960-A1D0E27BD90E.png

The 'small change fee' never used to be there. We caught an early flight back from Rome a few years ago and didn't get charged anything as I had look at the website in the hotel room beforehand and decided to go down to the airport as it never mentioned a charge. Nor did we get charged one either.

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

The 'small change fee' never used to be there. We caught an early flight back from Rome a few years ago and didn't get charged anything as I had look at the website in the hotel room beforehand and decided to go down to the airport as it never mentioned a charge. Nor did we get charged one either.

I think they use discretion at some airports, but as most people now use the app, the computer it say no!

It's the same with assistance, I'm allowed my wheelchair and one other piece of equipment in the hold FoC. I normally travel with a medium sized day sack and a small one with phone, wallet and ID. IoM, Sofia and Barcelona will put the medium day sack in the hold free, Gatwick won't; I do explain that there is (genuinely) essential medical equipment ( not of the Steve England variety) inside.

Gatwick charge £7, for bag drop, which is still less than paying on line.

Its my fault, belt and braces job, but after recent cancellations, delays and stop overs I feel the need to take a change of clothes, three days medicine, and things that keep me alive.

Another fine mess at the airport this week .....

There are those of us who need access to the airport, both on the North Side of the airport and some on the South Side of the airport for various reasons, air ambulance, private aviation, small jets, postal services, etc etc area M and W are non critical areas and a number of us have keys to those areas which we filled in application forms for and signed for numbered security keys.

This week the CAA have been here looking at management of airside. The airport have been unable to locate the records of the key holders, so extra chains and padlocks have been put on access gates and pedestrian gates etc ! a number of people who have access for a living have been unable to go about their business !

Meanwhile the head of security has gone off sick !

Remind me again how much the combined salary is for the three stooges who are in charge of this sad portal !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I've just read on an aviation rumor website that flyBe is closing the IOM base again - with Stobart resuming services.

As I said, a 'rumour' - anyone else hearing anything, hopefully to refute it.

57 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

I've just read on an aviation rumor website that flyBe is closing the IOM base again - with Stobart resuming services.

Nothing would surprise me anymore in connection with the omnishambles that is the airport !

4 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

Maybe to coincide with the end of the Heathrow flights on the 12th October?

46 minutes ago, Hillside said:

Maybe to coincide with the end of the Heathrow flights on the 12th October?

Remember we established that the LHR route was a slot sitting exercise, for Delta, a substantial shareholder in Virgin - which owns 30% of Connect, the new owner of flybe since January 2019. So it’s withdrawal unlikely to make a difference.

Its also unlikely that Stobart would be flying under their own flag on a flybe wetlease arrangement.

Stobart had, as I understand, put their airline assets into the new flybe owner, Connect,  they jointly purchased as to 30% with Virgin, 30% and venture capitalists, 40%.

Isnt it about time the the flybe operation was rebranded, as virgin Europe or something similar, and that may be the source of the rumour? That was certainly the plan.

• Like 2

Flybe are currently suffering from crippling crew shortages across their network. 

The Isle of Man base is being closed so they can reinforce their other more profitable bases and core routes. 

Stobart will be supplying aircraft and crew to operate the Isle of Man routes on behalf of Flybe from some time in the winter. The closure date for the Isle of Man base had yet to be finalised  

The Virgin rebranding will happen in the coming months, once the excesses of the current operation have been cut away. 

Separately, Harmer seems to be claiming in his latest interview with Paul Moulton on MTV that the airport "actually makes a profit" he mumbled something about APD taxes. 

So is it the case that gross revenue is higher than gross expenditure at Ronaldsway? It seems highly unlikely. 

5 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Separately, Harmer seems to be claiming in his latest interview with Paul Moulton on MTV that the airport "actually makes a profit" he mumbled something about APD taxes. 

So is it the case that gross revenue is higher than gross expenditure at Ronaldsway? It seems highly unlikely. 

Me thinks Harmless Harmer is telling porkies.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Me thinks Harmless Harmer is telling porkies.

He wouldn't know whether he was or wasn't. He'll just be regurgitating what his DOI CS have told him to.