Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
piebaps

Privatise the Airport

48 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They are truly the most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever been on in bad weather, even the mildest of turbulence in an ATR is torture. I hate them with a passion.

The narrow track undercarriage in our crosswinds is a challenge to say the least !!

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

They are truly the most uncomfortable aircraft I have ever been on in bad weather, even the mildest of turbulence in an ATR is torture. I hate them with a passion.

French y’see.

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I thought they were built by Eye Tiddley Eye Ties!

Both actually, in the sense that ATR is jointly French-Italian owned, but their base is in Toulouse.

2 hours ago, Hillside said:

You could read the article to mean that Flybe will continue to use its own Q400s, they just won’t be based here? 

You could - but you would be wrong.

This from IOM Airport's twitter feed

FLYBE OUTLINES FUTURE PLAN FOR ISLE OF MAN ROUTES •Routes to Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester to continue •Two Q400 aircraft to be replaced by two ATRs operated by Stobart Air •Flybe base to close under phased and managed programme

I wish Loganair would consider routes for IOM, other than the current EDI service. Great airline, good service and good people.   

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not a fan at all, they seem very nervous in the air and the rear loading seems awkward. I hate drawing the front row backward facing seat too, quite uncomfortable. They remind me of French cars, crap!

It’s an aircraft with a good safety record and gets me on and off the island with very short flying times, what more does one need ??

Between December 2017 and July 2018 I flew on the ATR twice a week, day returns, hospital trips. Total single flights well over 100. They, and Stobart, got me there and back, every time, no cancellations.

Im happy with the ATR, and Stobart, who were kindness personified.

• Like 1

Pardon my ignorance but which ATR version is to be used? 

26 minutes ago, quilp said:

Pardon my ignorance but which ATR version is to be used? 

72-600. They’ve got several, plus 5 on order. They’ve only one of the 48-600.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cypman said:

It’s an aircraft with a good safety record and gets me on and off the island with very short flying times, what more does one need ??

Hmmmmm  it doesn't like icing !!