Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
piebaps

Privatise the Airport

The strange disembarkation procedure of ATR's is interesting! I seem to remember passengers in rows 1-10 being told to remain in their seats until the passengers in rows 11 on wards have disembarked. Seems that a tail stand is usually used to guard against the nose lifting off the ground! Quaint.

Edited by dreamon

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Pilots don’t seem big fans. 

They aren't, the Q400 is far superior and even that is thought of as an accountants aircraft !

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Pilots don’t seem big fans. 

You’re not wrong there. I’ve heard one wax long and lyrical about the ATRs many and various failings.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, Manx Mole said:

Stobart had their noses put out of joint when Flybe kicked them off the route last year. In order to get their shitty ATRs back here, they cozied up to Virgin and got themselves a portion of Connect Airways. From that point the writing was on the wall.

From what I’ve been told, Stobart do not have the crews to fly these two extra ATRs which are coming from Flybe’s Scandinavian SAS wet lease operation. They are reliant on the local Flybe Dash 8 Pilots coming to work for them and expect them to take massive pay cuts for the privilege of doing so. Again, I’ve been told by one of those Flybe pilots that this just isn’t going to happen.

What is a "wet lease" ?

6 hours ago, LightBulb said:

What is a "wet lease" ?

Another company supplies the aircraft itself, the crew, insures and maintains the aircraft. A wet lease is typically used for shortish periods of time. A dry lease is just the aircraft and the company which is taking out the lease must include it on their Air Operators Certificate.

7 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Another company supplies the aircraft itself, the crew, insures and maintains the aircraft. A wet lease is typically used for shortish periods of time. A dry lease is just the aircraft and the company which is taking out the lease must include it on their Air Operators Certificate.

Bring back Manx airlines 

Edited by jabba1990

On 9/10/2019 at 6:02 PM, John Wright said:

Remember we established that the LHR route was a slot sitting exercise, for Delta, a substantial shareholder in Virgin - which owns 30% of Connect, the new owner of flybe since January 2019. So it’s withdrawal unlikely to make a difference.

Its also unlikely that Stobart would be flying under their own flag on a flybe wetlease arrangement.

Stobart had, as I understand, put their airline assets into the new flybe owner, Connect,  they jointly purchased as to 30% with Virgin, 30% and venture capitalists, 40%.

Isnt it about time the the flybe operation was rebranded, as virgin Europe or something similar, and that may be the source of the rumour? That was certainly the plan.

It was obviously slot sitting, no matter if it did well or not, it would be the same result.

I imagine the susidised Guernsey route won't last after next summer either -

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2019/02/22/heathrow-link-re-established--via-guernsey/

"At present though, there is still a question mark over next summer's services." -

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2019-09-02/guernsey-to-heathrow-route-extended-to-run-over-winter/

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 5:22 PM, LightBulb said:

They are a flying box ?

The 330 perhaps but not the 360, shirley?

There was discussion earlier about Heathrow, slot sitting and comparing IOM with Guernsey. 

Heathrow - Guernsey Flybe has been extended through the winter. The government are underwriting the route

5 hours ago, snowman said:

There was discussion earlier about Heathrow, slot sitting and comparing IOM with Guernsey. 

Heathrow - Guernsey Flybe has been extended through the winter. The government are underwriting the route

Obviously the powers that be over here don't see it as such a key asset that requires underwriting. Also the current slot being used by Flybe has a turnaround time at Heathrow of around 2 1/2 hours which I believe is what is normally used by a very large aircraft such as a 777. The rumours were that the slot belonged to Delta AIrlines and was only spare for the Summer so no matter how great the passenger figures were, it would be going back to them for the Winter season

43 minutes ago, Giggleberrys said:

Obviously the powers that be over here don't see it as such a key asset that requires underwriting. Also the current slot being used by Flybe has a turnaround time at Heathrow of around 2 1/2 hours which I believe is what is normally used by a very large aircraft such as a 777. The rumours were that the slot belonged to Delta AIrlines and was only spare for the Summer so no matter how great the passenger figures were, it would be going back to them for the Winter season

Its not a rumour. Its fact

• Like 1