Jump to content

Privatise the Airport


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Giggleberrys said:

If that is the case then where are the "savings" in privatising the place?

You really need to read the consultants report, I guess. I haven't as yet read through all of it.

Having said that, I might suggest that IOMG is looking at something similar to MAG. But I can't really see it working due to lack of volume/passengers.

I'm  more interested to hear/read what IOM Governments Policy is in securing 'strategic' routes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They aren’t “losses”! The thing is, you can’t run this airport as a commercial entity. It is an essential component of an island - especially one that struts around trying to be something it isn’t. It

lets hope he fucks off somewhere else and we get someone in who just for a change knows what they are doing.

Of course the point about the Airport is that it has already undergone significant privatisation[1] and as numerous threads on MF will attest, the public aren't always impressed with the results with

Posted Images

I wonder where the revenue to make the 'opportunity' viable to a private concern will be coming from, a subvention perhaps? Or are we looking at a huge increase in travel costs to and from the island?

How will this affect the viability of our rumoured direct flights to New York?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I wonder where the revenue to make the 'opportunity' viable to a private concern will be coming from, a subvention perhaps? Or are we looking at a huge increase in travel costs to and from the island?

How will this affect the viability of our rumoured direct flights to New York?

Wrong Max. It's not NEW York...... it's YORK with Yorkshire Airlines!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Giggleberrys said:

The report states that the Fire Section and ATC are already being paid the going rate when compared to other airports

Giggleberrys, help me out - where does it say that?  I see that section 3.3 mentions

“ payroll costs account for around two thirds of overall expenditure, which is relatively high.  This may result, to some degree, from the difficulty of recruiting to some of the more skilled positions such as Air Traffic Control and Rescue & Firefighting Services, requiring relatively high rates of pay.  However, the historical rates and allowances applicable to Government employees have also been and continue to be relatively generous compared to the norms in the commercial airport sector.”   

 Section 6.23 adds that

“Allowing for the premium that may have to be paid to recruit to specialist or skilled jobs on the island, the basic rates of pay do not seem excessive.  However, it is notable from this analysis that on-costs are quite high, in some cases almost doubling the basic pay rates.  These on-costs include what is referred to as ‘overtime’, which we understand is defined as including shift working premiums, weekend and bank holidays premiums, first aid payments, as well as additional hours worked.”

Most of the relevant numbers have been redacted but my reading of the above is that base salaries attract a premium, possibly due to the limited universe of candidates, but perhaps not excessively.  However, overtime and other add-ons are out of line and overall, ‘rates and allowances’ are ‘relatively generous compared to the norms in the commercial airport sector”. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Max Power said:

...our rumoured direct flights to New York?

Surely you jest. How could that ever be economically realistic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Surely you jest. How could that ever be economically realistic?

A380s. Stopovers from Dubai. The runway extension sees use at last.

All to be recorded as visitors too. Happy days. :lol:

Edited by Non-Believer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bankerboy said:

Giggleberrys, help me out - where does it say that?  I see that section 3.3 mentions

“ payroll costs account for around two thirds of overall expenditure, which is relatively high.  This may result, to some degree, from the difficulty of recruiting to some of the more skilled positions such as Air Traffic Control and Rescue & Firefighting Services, requiring relatively high rates of pay.  However, the historical rates and allowances applicable to Government employees have also been and continue to be relatively generous compared to the norms in the commercial airport sector.”   

 

there are never any shortage of applicants for ATC positions at ronaldsway,  the hard part down there is staying awake between planes and remembering whose turn roll it is on the monopoly.,

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told that the airport fireman with there add ons are one of the highest paid in Europe any truth in that or old wives tales?

 I kind of think they could be something in it as there seem to be a few ex cops down there and apparently lots of applicants when vacancies come up.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

I was told that the airport fireman with there add ons are the highest paid in Europe any truth in that or old wives tales?

 I kind of think they could be something in it as there seem to be a few ex cops down there and apparently lots of applicants when vacancies come up.

I've fixed that for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that there was a bit of a Police exodus recently to Airport Fire Service positions, I know one and I'm sure Derek Flint has alluded to it on here in the recent past...?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...