Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
piebaps

Privatise the Airport

2 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I don't want to start a scrap with you PK, but your post is a bit of a duffer.  The classification you get as an airport, and so the type of activity you can have there, depends on a variety of factors being in place, plus adherence to a raft of international agreements and blah de blah.

If we only want to fly paper planes to the Calf, then we can ignore everything, but in the real world, things like the grade of perimeter security and 'runway extension safety areas' are bloody important.

Absolutely agree.

But do you honestly think that not having a pathetic fence around the place that my grandmother could probably have got over is going to make any difference to who flies to Ronaldsway?

Me neither.

23 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I don't want to start a scrap with you PK, but your post is a bit of a duffer.  The classification you get as an airport, and so the type of activity you can have there, depends on a variety of factors being in place, plus adherence to a raft of international agreements and blah de blah.

If we only want to fly paper planes to the Calf, then we can ignore everything, but in the real world, things like the grade of perimeter security and 'runway extension safety areas' are bloody important.

Posted this on the Where is Reynolds? thread...

On 6/16/2019 at 8:19 PM, yorik said:

Sumburgh Airport’s “security” fence - a 4 string wire fence

A39E9BA2-A5D5-449D-990B-8CC8CF4F9B6F.jpeg

And that’s a Google Streetview shot from the main road to the airport, not some random back road at the arse end of the airport

How long before UN armed guards patrol the place?

Keep the place public owned and keep the UN out

On 2/3/2020 at 11:14 PM, manxy said:

How long before UN armed guards patrol the place?

Keep the place public owned and keep the UN out

Eh?

They have found a way of keeping out all the small business owners from the airport, just raised the ground rent 49.5% !!

The IOM where you can !!! LOL   

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, asitis said:

They have found a way of keeping out all the small business owners from the airport, just raised the ground rent 49.5% !!

Clearly, we need to keep the riff-raff out of the British Island's aviation jewel...the fence was the physical first step, now we've moved on to the economic measures. The unwashed have had it far too good, being associated with the place when they haven't got private jets to land and park. The boat's good enough for them.

Signed, A Reynolds

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, asitis said:

What?

so is that for the car hire companies, the desks, shop and the catering outlets?

Just now, Derek Flint said:

What?

so is that for the car hire companies, the desks, shop and the catering outlets?

I have no idea who it involves but it certainly applies to our ground rent !

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

I have no idea who it involves but it certainly applies to our ground rent !

Which bit are you out of interest? Drop me a DM if better. 

Does anyone have an e-mail addr for Spake?

I have an issue to raise.

16 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Does anyone have an e-mail addr for Spake?

I have an issue to raise.

Try jez.spake@gov.im. ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Ah... so the article about IOM airport being one of the cheapest in the British Isles is about to change then?

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Ah... so the article about IOM airport being one of the cheapest in the British Isles is about to change then?

So many things are compared to airports in the Home Counties when it comes to justifying financial matters ! which we are not FFS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Laurence is about to announce that Cartier and Versace are to open outlets at Ronaldsway. We need to make floor space to accommodate them.

• Haha 5