Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Rushen Spy

Douglas Prom bus stops / construction: a case study in compartmentalised stupidity

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Walked through the street between Woolworths and Ron Smith's over to the Promenade and thought I might jump on a bus to visit Onchan. The bus stop is not available as it has been taken over by fencing for the construction works. Okay, fair enough. I'll just walk over to the main (first) bus stop about five minutes walk away. No problem, that is no big inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Five minutes later, I discover that bus stop, also, has been closed off and is unavailable. Would it be asking for too much for them to put up a sign in the area of the middle bus stop actually telling people that the other bus stop is also not available? I imagine a lot of elderly and disabled people would appreciate that more than I. At neither bus stop area was there any information for people wanting to get the buses, as to where they should go to get the usual buses that go that way. I gave up in the end and decided to stay in Douglas.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Walked through the street between Woolworths and Ron Smith's over to the Promenade and thought I might jump on a bus to visit Onchan. The bus stop is not available as it has been taken over by fencing for the construction works. Okay, fair enough. I'll just walk over to the main (first) bus stop about five minutes walk away. No problem, that is no big inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Five minutes later, I discover that bus stop, also, has been closed off and is unavailable. Would it be asking for too much for them to put up a sign in the area of the middle bus stop actually telling people that the other bus stop is also not available? I imagine a lot of elderly and disabled people would appreciate that more than I. At neither bus stop area was there any information for people wanting to get the buses, as to where they should go to get the usual buses that go that way. I gave up in the end and decided to stay in Douglas.

You made a wise decision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I gave up in the end and decided to stay in Douglas.

It's a conspiracy with the Corpy to keep people in Strand St. Seems to work too. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Did you not try the bus stop outside jaks?

You mean, did I walk 5 minutes to my right, then walk 10 minutes back to my left? No.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Walked through the street between Woolworths and Ron Smith's over to the Promenade and thought I might jump on a bus to visit Onchan.

That was your first mistake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

You mean, did I walk 5 minutes to my right, then walk 10 minutes back to my left? No.

Why didn't you just walk 30 seconds to your left when you got onto the prom? Looking to your right you could quite easily see that the road was being dug up and the bus stop wasn't there.

Suppose that wouldn't have gave you much to whinge about

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Why didn't you just walk 30 seconds to your left when you got onto the prom? Looking to your right you could quite easily see that the road was being dug up and the bus stop wasn't there.

Suppose that wouldn't have gave you much to whinge about

Why would I walk left, when I thought the bus stop to the right would be available? I have no reason to believe the bus stop on the left was available either, because ---- and this is the POINT of my "whinge" here ----- there was no PUBLIC NOTICE providing guidance. Also, it's a bit rich telling me to "just walk 30 seconds" when I could be in crutches or using dependent on a walking stick for all you know.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rushen Spy said:

Why would I walk left, when I thought the bus stop to the right would be available? I have no reason to believe the bus stop on the left was available either, because ---- and this is the POINT of my "whinge" here ----- there was no PUBLIC NOTICE providing guidance. Also, it's a bit rich telling me to "just walk 30 seconds" when I could be in crutches or using dependent on a walking stick for all you know.

Why would you need a public notice when you can look probably 50 yards and see the road is being dug up and therefore make the decision that the liklihood is the bus stop isn't going to be there? Also looking left would show the bus stop outside jaks was still in use and even if you were on crutches using a stick or in a wheelchair is probably a shorter distance than going to where the bus stops were down by Villiers square.

 

Like I say you are literally moaning about nothing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrong. From the angle at the Methodist Church, you cannot see how far the construction barriers go, either to the left or the right, enough to determine whether the respective bus stops are inside or outside of the construction zone, which is why I had to walk to go and find out.  A public notice SHOULD be on display.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Why didn't you just walk 30 seconds to your left when you got onto the prom? Looking to your right you could quite easily see that the road was being dug up and the bus stop wasn't there.

Suppose that wouldn't have gave you much to whinge about

He right I did the same the other week. It isn’t clear at all and it’s a fair old walk down to Jaks on the off chance that you know that bus stop is still operational. If you’re in the street it’s actually easier to just walk to the bus station and get the bus there than be bothered working it out. Which isn’t good for pensioners or the disabled. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MrPB said:

He right I did the same the other week. It isn’t clear at all and it’s a fair old walk down to Jaks on the off chance that you know that bus stop is still operational. If you’re in the street it’s actually easier to just walk to the bus station and get the bus there than be bothered working it out. Which isn’t good for pensioners or the disabled. 

But you can't even do that if you want to get to Onchan or along the Prom, because the South buses that mostly do those routes don't go via Lord Street in that direction.  You'd have to wait in Victoria Street where there's no shelter.  Also under normal service you're better catching those buses at the Villiers stop because they can often be stood there for some minutes if they have got ahead of timetable.

Edited to add: When you see any bus stops out of action in say London, there's usually full information as near to where they were as possible explaining the situation and directing to the nearest alternative(s) in operation.  It's a mystery that the DoI can't do the same when it's actually the same Department running the buses and doing the roadworks.  But not perhaps a surprise.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I gave up in the end and decided to stay in Douglas.

Lol, as if you even left Onchan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...