Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Rushen Spy

Douglas Prom bus stops / construction: a case study in compartmentalised stupidity

You could just walk to Onchan, I do every day.

5 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Walked through the street between Woolworths and Ron Smith's over to the Promenade and thought I might jump on a bus to visit Onchan. The bus stop is not available as it has been taken over by fencing for the construction works. Okay, fair enough. I'll just walk over to the main (first) bus stop about five minutes walk away. No problem, that is no big inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Five minutes later, I discover that bus stop, also, has been closed off and is unavailable. Would it be asking for too much for them to put up a sign in the area of the middle bus stop actually telling people that the other bus stop is also not available? I imagine a lot of elderly and disabled people would appreciate that more than I. At neither bus stop area was there any information for people wanting to get the buses, as to where they should go to get the usual buses that go that way. I gave up in the end and decided to stay in Douglas.

It’s a carefully contrived plan to keep you out of Onchan. Nobody wants you here...

2 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Lol, as if you even left Onchan.

I don't know why you think I live in Onchan. I don't. The place if a third world shit hole .

43 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It’s a carefully contrived plan to keep you out of Onchan. Nobody wants you here...

You're wrong, Mr Corrin. Nobody wants YOU there.

2 hours ago, NoTail said:

Yeh, fair enough if A) you can walk and B) you actually live in Onchan.

I don't live in Onchan. I just have a few relatives there. I was only going to pay them a visit.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrPB said:

He right I did the same the other week. It isn’t clear at all and it’s a fair old walk down to Jaks on the off chance that you know that bus stop is still operational. If you’re in the street it’s actually easier to just walk to the bus station and get the bus there than be bothered working it out. Which isn’t good for pensioners or the disabled. 

Indeed. It would take them about five minutes to type up a piece of paper, print it on a laminator printer, and stick it somewhere visible. I know thommo  works for the DOI but he could at least acknowledge his own departmental failings and rectify them rather than abusing members of the public for calling them out.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Walked through the street between Woolworths and Ron Smith's over to the Promenade and thought I might jump on a bus to visit Onchan. 

Funnily enough I was walking between Flossie Cowin's and Todhunter & Elliott and had the same problem catching the cable tramway 

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Indeed. It would take them about five minutes to type up a piece of paper, print it on a laminator printer, and stick it somewhere visible. I know thommo  works for the DOI but he could at least acknowledge his own departmental failings and rectify them rather than abusing members of the public for calling them out.

Plod actually, same thing really though!

19 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Or you could just quit your whining... wonder which will happen first... :whistling:

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Or you could just quit your whining... wonder which will happen first... :whistling:

I expect I'll quit whining and die of old age before the DOI employ management with at least an ounce of common sense.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Who's abusing you. I'm quite simply saying take some personal responsibility. 

29 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Who's abusing you. I'm quite simply saying take some personal responsibility. 

And I'm saying, a bit of common sense, like putting up a notice sign, wouldn't go amiss. These are frequently used bus stops, largely used by elderly people. Saying "just walk 30 seconds" is a bit of a joke to some dude with a walking stick who fought for your freedom at Normandy.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Walked through the street between Woolworths and Ron Smith's

Where did you get your time machine? Wouldn't mind a trip back to Woolworths. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:
4 hours ago, NoTail said:

Yeh, fair enough if A) you can walk and B) you actually live in Onchan.

I don't live in Onchan. I just have a few relatives there. I was only going to pay them a visit.

TJ lives in Onchan. Is that your aunt or uncle ?

edit to add,

(or both ?)

Edited by dilligaf

I’m positive there is a sign on the back of stop 2 on the shelter with stop suspension and a direction arrow pointing to the nearest available stop which is Jaks which can be seen with a clear eye where you would have been stood. Isle Of Moan.