Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
WilDDog

HP Gen 8 server vs Synology DS418 Play

Hi all,

long time no type :)

I have a HP generation 8 nas 16tb  that I use for running plex with xpenology. I'm running out of space. I need the forums expert knowledge  on whether to get another HP or a Synology DS418 Play? Or would you recommend something else such as Qnap? 

Thanks

WD

My DS214Play works fine as a fileserver but doesn't have the chops for the transcoding work of a media server.  I'm sure you're more than capable of checking the 218 vs. 418 processor specs. :)

So I keep the media files on the DS and use my desktop machine as the media server and that setup seems to work grand.

I've, in the last couple of months, replaced the 3Tb disks in the DS with 6Tb ones in a seamless upgrade.

If you have the disk(s) in the HP running as a RAID and can hot swap them I'd be inclined to go for that.  If it ain't broke...

I like QNAP. 

Another option. You could mount a Synology/QNAP as an iSCSI target in xpenology. Thus - keeping your HP server as the head-end, but backing the storage off to a NAS.