Jump to content

Companies closing down


LightBulb
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Yes, I know it for a fact. The census shows over 50% of the island was not even born here. If they're spending the money online, it's from websites that are not located on the island.

But the inference you make is that Manx people avoid buying sensibly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

So attracting HNWI here, isn`t helping our ecconomy then ?

The threshold for being deemed a HNW isnt actually that high. Its the VH and UH that are the dilemma. Whereas they will pay their tax cap, and employ local gardeners etc to keep the house on point, family office, handling fees for a/c there is actually very little to spend money on. Cars will go across for servicing, and we dont even have a high end jewellers.

Money drains off the rock in some tune.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Yesterday at the tin baths I bought two pints of beer and two cokes cost in the region of 11 quid.

If you're worried about that then I strongly recommend that you don't make any purchases from the tearoom at Cregneash.....

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Money drains off the rock in some tune.

Precisely. Think of anything, anything that you buy (except local spuds and carrots) that isn't imported here.

It's everything. Clothes, shoes, food other than the above, cars, fuel, leisure and work products. The lot. And it all has to be paid for. To UK and beyond suppliers. Think how much that is over 80k people daily. 

Then think about what we have that would bring an equivalent amount in. Er.....

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Yes, I know it for a fact. The census shows over 50% of the island was not even born here. If they're spending the money online, it's from websites that are not located on the island.

Stop being a nob. You don’t know it for a fact merely guessing...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Precisely. Think of anything, anything that you buy (except local spuds and carrots) that isn't imported here.

It's everything. Clothes, shoes, food other than the above, cars, fuel, leisure and work products. The lot. And it all has to be paid for. To UK and beyond suppliers. Think how much that is over 80k people daily. 

Then think about what we have that would bring an equivalent amount in. Er.....

Then an import tax may be the answer to this imbalance? What do you suggest? 10%, 20%??

There are ongoing attempts by the EU and ENGLAND to tax these online giants at the point of the sale, rather than its headquarters location,  presumably, the Island would get its share of this tax through the 'agreement'?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Then an import tax may be the answer to this imbalance? What do you suggest? 10%, 20%??

There are ongoing attempts by the EU and ENGLAND to tax these online giants at the point of the sale, rather than its headquarters location,  presumably, the Island would get its share of this tax through the 'agreement'?

Lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

Then an import tax may be the answer to this imbalance? What do you suggest? 10%, 20%??

There are ongoing attempts by the EU and ENGLAND to tax these online giants at the point of the sale, rather than its headquarters location,  presumably, the Island would get its share of this tax through the 'agreement'?

Why? The Government would only squander the money on the bloated civil service and the pensions blackhole. 

It wouldn't actually help local traders. It would only make things more difficult for the low to middle income local residents, many of whom rely on the likes or Amazon and eBay to be able to afford some of the more luxury items like new TVs and things. 

The answer is to reduce the tax burden on local  bricks and mortar retailers by cutting the extortionate business rates charged by the likes of Douglas Borough Council. Rates that are then spent/pissed away on ridiculous vanity projects and keeping an army of pen pushers in employment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Precisely. Think of anything, anything that you buy (except local spuds and carrots) that isn't imported here.

It's everything. Clothes, shoes, food other than the above, cars, fuel, leisure and work products. The lot. And it all has to be paid for. To UK and beyond suppliers. Think how much that is over 80k people daily. 

Then think about what we have that would bring an equivalent amount in. Er.....

manx meat,  you forgot manx meat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

manx meat,  you forgot manx meat.

That's cos it's unaffordable :lol:  so that's another imported product to add to the list...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...