Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Discussion on MR

Recommended Posts

There was an interesting discussion on MR at 5.30pm today about the cabinets plans to give planning permission to build over two thousand dwellings on the Island.   Shimmins spoke well citing the number of empty properties there were at the last census, and pointed out in Castletown whilst plans had been put forward for the green field sites the brown field sites had sparked no interest.  I am not a fan but he spoke well and put his point over he reckoned it was stupid when the correct calculations had been nearer just over 1000.   Defending the plan was waffler Thomas who reckons we must plan for the future etc, etc..  Funnily the question of keeping building firms happy was not brought up !!!Unfortunately I could only listen piecemeal to the whole discussion but it makes me wonder just what the illustrious Cabinet Office will come up with next. Making wrong calculations, then amending them but still going ahead with the plans based on the first, incorrect, set of figures is bothering Shimmins it is bothering me too.   Makes you wonder who really calls the shots in this green and pleasant land.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There was an interesting discussion on MR at 5.30pm today about the cabinets plans to give planning permission to build over two thousand dwellings on the Island.   Shimmins spoke well citing the number of empty properties there were at the last census, and pointed out in Castletown whilst plans had been put forward for the green field sites the brown field sites had sparked no interest.  I am not a fan but he spoke well and put his point over he reckoned it was stupid when the correct calculations had been nearer just over 1000.   Defending the plan was waffler Thomas who reckons we must plan for the future etc, etc..  Funnily the question of keeping building firms happy was not brought up !!!Unfortunately I could only listen piecemeal to the whole discussion but it makes me wonder just what the illustrious Cabinet Office will come up with next. Making wrong calculations, then amending them but still going ahead with the plans based on the first, incorrect, set of figures is bothering Shimmins it is bothering me too.   Makes you wonder who really calls the shots in this green and pleasant land.

Shimmins is a lot better an MHK than he comes across to many. I think he gets the silliness of the situation as the plans totally fly in the face of reality. However, this place is now totally on its arse. We probably do need to start looking at bringing in more people (provided they’re not the same sad old pensioners we’ve been bringing in for years) to grow jobs and to grow the economy. But surely they need to offer grants first so that all the crap property that’s hung around for years can be cheaply done up by local people. Otherwise new builds are just going to devalue those properties further and nobody is still going to be able to get a mortgage on them to even move them on. Let’s face it nobody is coming here on a salary of £150k a year to buy a £500k new build in Balla Wanker Heights anymore. They’re generally working people on lower incomes put off moving here by high property values and property ownership costs. Or e-gaming people renting as they know they won’t be here long enough to make buying an option. So i’m not sure what Thomas thinks he’s trying to achieve. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If those same sad old pensioners bring their pensions with them and by so doing cover the costs of imports that they create then they could well be a saving grace.  

Because unless every person can by their efforts not earn in exports more than they add to the cost of imports raising the population numbers will just reduce he time untill it's game over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rog said:

If those same sad old pensioners bring their pensions with them and by so doing cover the costs of imports that they create then they could well be a saving grace.  

They don’t anymore. UK pensions are paid from the UK yet we meet the full cost of all their healthcare and other needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPB said:

They don’t anymore. UK pensions are paid from the UK yet we meet the full cost of all their healthcare and other needs. 

So what about the Manxies living in the UK then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

So what about the Manxies living in the UK then...

Now state pension paid from here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Now state pension paid from here. 

Who pays their healthcare and other needs while living in the UK then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Now state pension paid from here. 

Would that include any pension supplement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, forestboy said:

Would that include any pension supplement?

No as they wouldn’t be Manx resident anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MrPB said:

They don’t anymore. UK pensions are paid from the UK yet we meet the full cost of all their healthcare and other needs. 

A lot of people now have private pensions and / or wok related pensions - I do myself.  Likewise private healthcare, I have as part of my "works" pension and I am far from being alone in this respect.

I remember how as tourism rapidly tailed off the "when I's" came in.  Then it was mostly people repatriating from the colonies that were being granted their independence but today there's a whole lot of people who are retiring with good to very good pensions and UK property that will be at risk when, not if, when Labour gain office.  It's something that could be a market well worth exploring.

Me?  I'll not return to the island. Too many sad memories but it it were not so it's a thing that I would have considered very seriously when I retired.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think that Shimmings made much sense. "Don't build on fields build in town" was his rant. Essentially he thinks people should be cramped together in ever smaller and smaller flats  with no outside space whilst land outside town is left to rot as a mucky farmers' fields only occupied by a few sheep and mud.

I bet he lives in an "executive home" built on a greenfield site in the country. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Declan said:

I didn't think that Shimmings made much sense. "Don't build on fields build in town" was his rant. Essentially he thinks people should be cramped together in ever smaller and smaller flats  with no outside space whilst land outside town is left to rot as a mucky farmers' fields only occupied by a few sheep and mud.

I bet he lives in an "executive home" built on a greenfield site in the country. 

Left to rot?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rog said:

Me?  I'll not return to the island. Too many sad memories but it it were not so it's a thing that I would have considered very seriously when I retired.

I’m not seeing many down sides in that statement. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’m not seeing many down sides in that statement. 

No, you probably don't.  But then what you've never had you'll never miss. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MrPB said:

Shimmins is a lot better an MHK than he comes across to many. I think he gets the silliness of the situation as the plans totally fly in the face of reality. However, this place is now totally on its arse. We probably do need to start looking at bringing in more people (provided they’re not the same sad old pensioners we’ve been bringing in for years) to grow jobs and to grow the economy. But surely they need to offer grants first so that all the crap property that’s hung around for years can be cheaply done up by local people. Otherwise new builds are just going to devalue those properties further and nobody is still going to be able to get a mortgage on them to even move them on. Let’s face it nobody is coming here on a salary of £150k a year to buy a £500k new build in Balla Wanker Heights anymore. They’re generally working people on lower incomes put off moving here by high property values and property ownership costs. Or e-gaming people renting as they know they won’t be here long enough to make buying an option. So i’m not sure what Thomas thinks he’s trying to achieve. 

My view IOMG should initiate a 'deep retrofit' scheme on the island to counter carbon release in new builds & help initiate a green economy

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/deep-retrofit-grant/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...