Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Patient centred

No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

Some of the comments above seem to stack up sadly when you look at the news. I see this report says that this poor sod was waiting 5 months for mental health support and in the meantime ended up getting done for cannabis possession instead which he was using to get over anxiety (which presumably he’d sought but not actually secured legitimate treatment for). 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=53091

I think it’s incredibly sad that people in this Island seem to have a higher chance of getting their collar felt by the cops in a stop and search than obtaining proper support to help them deal with their mental health. What on earth is going on? 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

What indeed

Wrong person as clinical lead, no real oversight of clinical lead or service, reliance on cut and pasted policy documents and care pathways as marker of quality and competence; staff working well outside their competence; two way lack of consultant (Doctor) engagement.

oh and patients not being in the centre of or primary focus of care; instead money, power and external stigma. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I think it’s incredibly sad that people in this Island seem to have a higher chance of getting their collar felt by the cops in a stop and search than obtaining proper support to help them deal with their mental health. What on earth is going on? 

It's quite easy to work out if you try. Most people don't care,but hey ho.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

Wrong person as clinical lead, no real oversight of clinical lead or service, reliance on cut and pasted policy documents and care pathways as marker of quality and competence; staff working well outside their competence; two way lack of consultant (Doctor) engagement.

oh and patients not being in the centre of or primary focus of care; instead money, power and external stigma. 

All this and more . Above is all totally true. Lack of credible good staff ! Some are not fit even to draw dole . Terrible and dishonest and will do anything to sign someone off or give out meds to reduce  their case load . Nationwide problem for  health staff though so a certain level of understanding there . However Government are on record from around 2010 ,  maybe a little later , as committing to make Mental health on parity with physical health ...Not even remotely close still !!!! And most people will tell you who've had to use service it's far worse and getting even more unacceptable by each day that goes by . And more worrying no sign of any attempt to sort it. . 

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

All this and more . Above is all totally true. Lack of credible good staff ! Some are not fit even to draw dole . Terrible and dishonest and will do anything to sign someone off or give out meds to reduce  their case load . Nationwide problem for  health staff though so a certain level of understanding there . However Government are on record from around 2010 ,  maybe a little later , as committing to make Mental health on parity with physical health ...Not even remotely close still !!!! And most people will tell you who've had to use service it's far worse and getting even more unacceptable by each day that goes by . And more worrying no sign of any attempt to sort it. . 

It pays well though.....

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

It pays well though.....

Yes your so right . But sadly as lots of CS and goverment jobs on the Island too much for incompetent staff and dishonest staff . But hey not the people making the appointments money right !!??? All I know it's  clearly costing  lives . And one of these days it will blow up and show up the service for what it is .. disgraceful .. but then we will get lessons have been learned blah blah as some poor soul is buried because of a lack of help ,  There's already been to many ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, display name said:

It's quite easy to work out if you try. Most people don't care,but hey ho.

Sometimes you learn something new on these boards and I’m pretty much flabbergasted reading that report to be honest. I can’t believe someone can’t get help but can get arrested for self medicating in the face of getting no help. Amazing we’re still trying to cut the DHSC budgets in this context. Never mind, let’s have another 67 new minibuses and pretend how wealthy the IOM government is! 

• Like 5

I would try cannabis myself for medical purposes if I could figure out a way to get hold of any. All the prescription drugs I've tried have been a disaster, most making things even worse. :crying:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I would try cannabis myself for medical purposes if I could figure out a way to get hold of any. All the prescription drugs I've tried have been a disaster, most making things even worse. :crying:

You must be the only person in the IOM who doesn’t know anyone who could sort them out with some weed :lol:

34 minutes ago, MrPB said:

You must be the only person in the IOM who doesn’t know anyone who could sort them out with some weed :lol:

Make that two..I wouldn't have a clue either 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Me neither. I guess you have to ask around

;) 

I've asked but then I don't trust the suppliers. How am I to know it wasn't smuggled here by a chav hiding it up their ass? I'll wait until a properly regulated source can be found.

• Like 1