No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only at NoBalls Hospital eh?

The addition or a comma after Hurley, would make that read better. Just saying, not criticising.

Because I’m too old and wouldn’t effectively contribute to turning Tynwald into a modern, forward looking 21st Century Parliament. And by trotting out the tired and irrelevant ‘Why don’t you stan

On 10/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, Uhtred said:

Because I’m too old and wouldn’t effectively contribute to turning Tynwald into a modern, forward looking 21st Century Parliament.

And by trotting out the tired and irrelevant ‘Why don’t you stand then’ response you’re letting the current incumbents off the hook. They stood, declared they’d make effective public representatives, and it’s absolutely legitimate for the rest of us to hold them to account, whether we choose to stand or not.

We used to be a proud nation, led by inspired people willing to tackle real issues. Rising up and getting slaughtered by foreign invaders....but rising up again and again, still getting beaten but, ending up getting at least a modicom of respect from those we faught against.

Nowadays we don't have to die anymore, probably just as well with the lack of backbone and leadership qualities amongst 'most' of those elected to serve and take care of us.

Mostly, too busy looking after themselves, not all, but even those with the desire to 'do the right thing' seemingly overpowered by the old boys club....don't rock the boat.

Having said all that, personally, I am really quite surprised at how well they've handled this current Covid version.

Seriously gang, very well done. Praise where it's due after all.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Having said all that, personally, I am really quite surprised at how well they've handled this current Covid version.

Seriously gang, very well done. Praise where it's due after all.

I fully agree with that. They need to sort the economy out equally well and that part of it isn’t looking so good. But it is hard to fault how they have handled the medical crisis so far. 

Edited by Grayson
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I wonder if we have to pay him during the suspension?  I heard he was in the old mafia group that patted each other on the backs when they reached a quarter of as mil per year!

Yup. Old mafia. And yup. Deafening silence. I hear no one needs to replace him as he didn’t do much anyway - except sleep with a patient and see private ones in NHS time and premises. 

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I wonder if we have to pay him during the suspension?  I heard he was in the old mafia group that patted each other on the backs when they reached a quarter of as mil per year!

We keep on being told this about the 'old mafia', but they can't have got into that position entirely due to their own efforts.  If they had ridiculously advantageous contracts, those must have been agreed to by a long list of past senior civil servants, ministers, HR people, government lawyers and so on and left to continue in that state.  There must have been plenty of times to catch them out if they were abusing their position.  As usual everyone is now reacting as if the situation was a complete surprise but there's a lot of complicity going on here.

• Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

We keep on being told this about the 'old mafia', but they can't have got into that position entirely due to their own efforts.  If they had ridiculously advantageous contracts, those must have been agreed to by a long list of past senior civil servants, ministers, HR people, government lawyers and so on and left to continue in that state.  There must have been plenty of times to catch them out if they were abusing their position.  As usual everyone is now reacting as if the situation was a complete surprise but there's a lot of complicity going on here.

How else did you think the island "ticked"?

17 minutes ago, finlo said:

And the COVID situation now is the ideal opportunity to put an end to it. Just need the right people to stand up.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Patient centred said:

Yup. Old mafia. And yup. Deafening silence. I hear no one needs to replace him as he didn’t do much anyway - except sleep with a patient and see private ones in NHS time and premises. 

let it go, you'll feel better

. I hear no one needs to replace him as he didn’t do much anyway - except sleep with a patient and see private ones in NHS time and premises. 

Yep,if you must sleep with a nutjob floozy,always avoid the blabbermouth type

2 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Yep,if you must sleep with a nutjob floozy,always avoid the blabbermouth type

Doesn't leave much choice in Ramsey... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

there will always a bad apple to drag the rest of the barrel down to their level and so it continues with each government protecting vested interests and sticking shit to the new cleaner folks.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, finlo said:

Well quite.  But that shouldn't stop us keeping on pointing out all the people going "It was nothing to do with me, guv!  I was only the person in charge".

Nothing is more characteristic of the Isle of Man than the 'irreplaceable' person who turns out to be literally that.  Rather than being vital to how things are run, they simply don't need to be replaced.  But you can't help wondering if a lot of the failings of mental health services are linked to people at the top who didn't want to do much.

But it's still a puzzle what is actually going on with this GMC case.  As I said in previous comments, to have cases being deferred for long without quick rescheduling is extremely unusual - and it will be a year since the adjourned hearing by the time of the scheduled July one.  The GMC are normally quite happy to continue with cases in the absence of the doctor accused if they feel they are being strung along. 

I can only assume that the defence kept on saying they needed more time and the GMC got fed up and suspended Byrne because of lack of cooperation.  Tactics that may work in Manx courts may not be as productive elsewhere, but it's a surprise the GMC allowed them to get away with it for so long.