No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite.  But that shouldn't stop us keeping on pointing out all the people going "It was nothing to do with me, guv!  I was only the person in charge".

Nothing is more characteristic of the Isle of Man than the 'irreplaceable' person who turns out to be literally that.  Rather than being vital to how things are run, they simply don't need to be replaced.  But you can't help wondering if a lot of the failings of mental health services are linked to people at the top who didn't want to do much.

But it's still a puzzle what is actually going on with this GMC case.  As I said in previous comments, to have cases being deferred for long without quick rescheduling is extremely unusual - and it will be a year since the adjourned hearing by the time of the scheduled July one.  The GMC are normally quite happy to continue with cases in the absence of the doctor accused if they feel they are being strung along. 

I can only assume that the defence kept on saying they needed more time and the GMC got fed up and suspended Byrne because of lack of cooperation.  Tactics that may work in Manx courts may not be as productive elsewhere, but it's a surprise the GMC allowed them to get away with it for so long.

Unless there were new complaints?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only at NoBalls Hospital eh?

The addition or a comma after Hurley, would make that read better. Just saying, not criticising.

Because I’m too old and wouldn’t effectively contribute to turning Tynwald into a modern, forward looking 21st Century Parliament. And by trotting out the tired and irrelevant ‘Why don’t you stan

Good on you Patient Centred. You were the one that came on here to tell us what happened and you were ridiculed and put down. I didn’t contribute to that but I do remember thinking you were a bit hysterical about the whole business but then that’s what happens to a person who has an unbelievable story to tell the unbelieving. It’s often them that are labelled hysterical and unbelievable. I know this well and have been in the sNe situation myself which is why, in my case, I decided to say nothing to anyone. You put yourself out there and that deserves some recognition. So, yes, well done. From me anyway. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:08 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite.  But that shouldn't stop us keeping on pointing out all the people going "It was nothing to do with me, guv!  I was only the person in charge".

Nothing is more characteristic of the Isle of Man than the 'irreplaceable' person who turns out to be literally that.  Rather than being vital to how things are run, they simply don't need to be replaced.  But you can't help wondering if a lot of the failings of mental health services are linked to people at the top who didn't want to do much.

But it's still a puzzle what is actually going on with this GMC case.  As I said in previous comments, to have cases being deferred for long without quick rescheduling is extremely unusual - and it will be a year since the adjourned hearing by the time of the scheduled July one.  The GMC are normally quite happy to continue with cases in the absence of the doctor accused if they feel they are being strung along. 

I can only assume that the defence kept on saying they needed more time and the GMC got fed up and suspended Byrne because of lack of cooperation.  Tactics that may work in Manx courts may not be as productive elsewhere, but it's a surprise the GMC allowed them to get away with it for so long.

Looking at the listings it maybe there’s a more straightforward explanation. Next hearing is for decision whether to strike off.

So there have been hearings. Evidence all given. Adjourned for Tribunal members to consult between themselves and draft the findings. Tribunal has now decided he is guilty, so he must now be suspended. Awaiting sentence.

They've set aside 4 days as to outcome. Here’s the summary to date

The Tribunal found that between 2007 and 2016, Dr Byrne acted as Patient A’s treating psychiatrist and/or care coordinator, during which time he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with Patient A, including on one occasion entering Patient A’s house unannounced and also giving Patient A gifts.

The Tribunal found that between June 2012 and June 2013 Dr Byrne engaged in a sexual relationship with Patient A. It found that he failed to record any intimacy in her medical records; report any intimacy to his employer and/or colleagues and record accurate and appropriate details of consultations with Patient A in her medical records. It also found that at all material times Patient A was vulnerable as a result of her mental health. 

The Tribunal will reconvene to consider whether, as a result of the facts found proved, Dr Byrne’s fitness to practise is impaired.

10 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

Apparently he is still going into work here. 

He shouldn’t be undertaking any patient facing work. He’s no longer on the register. Only admin?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

How can the press get it so wrong. They aren’t allegations anymore.

Well it's manx radio.

The thing I don't get is how he's had time to resign. Why wasn't he sacked?

On 5/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, John Wright said:

Looking at the listings it maybe there’s a more straightforward explanation. Next hearing is for decision whether to strike off.

So there have been hearings. Evidence all given. Adjourned for Tribunal members to consult between themselves and draft the findings. Tribunal has now decided he is guilty, so he must now be suspended. Awaiting sentence.

They've set aside 4 days as to outcome. Here’s the summary to date

The Tribunal found that between 2007 and 2016, Dr Byrne acted as Patient A’s treating psychiatrist and/or care coordinator, during which time he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with Patient A, including on one occasion entering Patient A’s house unannounced and also giving Patient A gifts.

The Tribunal found that between June 2012 and June 2013 Dr Byrne engaged in a sexual relationship with Patient A. It found that he failed to record any intimacy in her medical records; report any intimacy to his employer and/or colleagues and record accurate and appropriate details of consultations with Patient A in her medical records. It also found that at all material times Patient A was vulnerable as a result of her mental health. 

The Tribunal will reconvene to consider whether, as a result of the facts found proved, Dr Byrne’s fitness to practise is impaired.

???

25 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Have the panel reached a decision then? I didn't know that.

From BMA website. It’s made findings of fact of inappropriate relationship. The next hearing is fitness to practice ( sentencing ) on those findings

The Tribunal found that between 2007 and 2016, Dr Byrne acted as Patient A’s treating psychiatrist and/or care coordinator, during which time he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with Patient A, including on one occasion entering Patient A’s house unannounced and also giving Patient A gifts.

The Tribunal found that between June 2012 and June 2013 Dr Byrne engaged in a sexual relationship with Patient A. It found that he failed to record any intimacy in her medical records; report any intimacy to his employer and/or colleagues and record accurate and appropriate details of consultations with Patient A in her medical records. It also found that at all material times Patient A was vulnerable as a result of her mental health. 

• Thanks 1