No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only at NoBalls Hospital eh?

The addition or a comma after Hurley, would make that read better. Just saying, not criticising.

Because I’m too old and wouldn’t effectively contribute to turning Tynwald into a modern, forward looking 21st Century Parliament. And by trotting out the tired and irrelevant ‘Why don’t you stan

Just now, Patient centred said:

https://www.ukaan.org/what-is-adhd.htm
don’t be silly. The Isle of Man doesn’t collect information like that !!

I know what ADHD is. I was working on 84K population *3% would result in 2,520 people with ADHD. Is that true? That's an awful lot of people, in which case the DHSC certainly wouldn't be able to cope. A little more perspective might help the cause.

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I know what ADHD is. I was working on 84K population *3% would result in 2,520 people with ADHD. Is that true? That's an awful lot of people, in which case the DHSC certainly wouldn't be able to cope. A little more perspective might help the cause.

It may well be right but of course everyone is very keem these days to label people.  Look at that link.

I would say many people have some of those traits and just go about their day to day lives with no impact at all.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It may well be right but of course everyone is very keem these days to label people.  Look at that link.

I would say many people have some of those traits and just go about their day to day lives with no impact at all.

Yes, I have viewed that website before now.

I think the issue is that ADHD covers a whole range of illnesses (if they are indeed an illness) such as autism, asperger's etc. Once diagnosed there is surprising support network Island-wide and beyond for the various disorders. ADHD is too general a term to start quoting percentages when in reality when it's broken down the 'problem' is already being dealt with out in the community.

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

If you read the link it suggests that whilst 3% are affected/diagnosed, but I think that refers to under 18’s and is from mildest to most severe.

The link also says that ( and I’m putting this loosely ) by age 25 all but 15% have grown out of it. 15% of 3% is 0.45% of adults. Adult population is about 70,000, so that’s about 300 adults max. And again they’re on a spectrum.

Those requiring treatment is impossible to say.

Im not decrying ADHD as a diagnosis, but there’s some odd cultural differences and diagnosis rates. Higher in USA, high in UK, virtually non existent in France, at least as an illness to throw medicine at. It’s seen more as a social psychological thing to resolve with family therapy and counselling. It’s treated as learned misbehaviour. The French are generally much firmer about control and structure in the lives of their children. Fixed meal, crying out.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes, I have viewed that website before now.

I think the issue is that ADHD covers a whole range of illnesses (if they are indeed an illness) such as autism, asperger's etc. Once diagnosed there is surprising support network Island-wide and beyond for the various disorders. ADHD is too general a term to start quoting percentages when in reality when it's broken down the 'problem' is already being dealt with out in the community.

No it doesn’t that isn’t true. ADHD has actually very clear criteria and is different to ASD and Aspergers although they can co exist. 

31 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

absolutely. Some may have traits but some are very severely affected and is the underlying cause for depression and anxiety. 

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If you read the link it suggests that whilst 3% are affected/diagnosed, but I think that refers to under 18’s and is from mildest to most severe.

The link also says that ( and I’m putting this loosely ) by age 25 all but 15% have grown out of it. 15% of 3% is 0.45% of adults. Adult population is about 70,000, so that’s about 300 adults max. And again they’re on a spectrum.

Those requiring treatment is impossible to say.

Im not decrying ADHD as a diagnosis, but there’s some odd cultural differences and diagnosis rates. Higher in USA, high in UK, virtually non existent in France, at least as an illness to throw medicine at. It’s seen more as a social psychological thing to resolve with family therapy and counselling. It’s treated as learned misbehaviour. The French are generally much firmer about control and structure in the lives of their children. Fixed meal, crying out.

No evidence it resolves with family therapy. Good evidence it resolves with drug treatment. 
brain changes seen pre treatment turn to normal looking brain after treatment. 

2 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

No evidence it resolves with family therapy. Good evidence it resolves with drug treatment. 
brain changes seen pre treatment turn to normal looking brain after treatment. 

I’m sure French psychiatrists would disagree.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/do-french-kids-have-adhd

1 minute ago, Patient centred said:

ADHD is NOT naughty behaviour. 
total myth. It’s a biological problem with internal regulation of attention/ emotions/ and impulse control

And the French pathway is that misregulation can be treated by structure and discipline and reinforcement, and not drugs.

Just now, Patient centred said:

God. Do you have children?

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And the French pathway is that misregulation can be treated by structure and discipline and reinforcement, and not drugs.

This is true but doesn’t work for kids with ADHD. Thus they get labelled as naughty. 
many how. This veers from the point that the Isle of Man psychiatry service simply refuse to see them. 

32 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

ADHD is NOT naughty behaviour. 
total myth. It’s a biological problem with internal regulation of attention/ emotions/ and impulse control

I never suggested it was. The US/UK tradition is to throw drugs at it. The French tradition is to enforce internal self control mechanisms by structure, counselling and therapy.

Im pointing out the difference. It’s an interesting conundrum.

Ive fostered. So I have some parenting experience.

This started out about adults from IOM and then it’s prevalence. Are you saying IoM CAMHS won’t see and treat children with ADHD?