No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I never suggested it was. The US/UK tradition is to throw drugs at it. The French tradition is to enforce internal self control mechanisms by structure, counselling and therapy.

Im pointing out the difference. It’s an interesting conundrum.

Ive fostered. So I have some parenting experience.

This started out about adults from IOM and then it’s prevalence. Are you saying IoM CAMHS won’t see and treat children with ADHD?

No Adults with ADHD. They see kids but then discharge them as adults and won’t see adults with ADHD even if they have significant social problems as a result

• Like 1
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only at NoBalls Hospital eh?

The addition or a comma after Hurley, would make that read better. Just saying, not criticising.

Because I’m too old and wouldn’t effectively contribute to turning Tynwald into a modern, forward looking 21st Century Parliament. And by trotting out the tired and irrelevant ‘Why don’t you stan

10 hours ago, quilp said:

I found a sound thrashing 3 times a day had enormous results... 

....In crushing their Spirit, triggering depression, low self esteem , feelings of failure, turning them to drink and drug addiction. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

....In crushing their Spirit, triggering depression, low self esteem , feelings of failure, turning them to drink and drug addiction. 

No, @quilp enjoyed being thrashed. 

• Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Regarding these comments about the Dr Byrne it has left me feeling worse in myself as i have confined in him for many years as PD.

This is wrong am i am the victim aswell in this mess as nobody did anything to let him still practise - why did it take so long for the system to pick this up? if the service was run good he should of been suspended straight away and not take any new clients on inwhich he did so. This has made my mental health drop even worsen. Also take note that the other Doctors are not from the UK here they are all foreign. WHY is THIS? I feel very insecure now what has happened recently and to me even with the COVID19. LIFE IS SHIT

On 6/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, Patient centred said:

This is true but doesn’t work for kids with ADHD. Thus they get labelled as naughty. 
many how. This veers from the point that the Isle of Man psychiatry service simply refuse to see them. 

It is possible for psychiatrists not to see ADHD as an illness but as a neurological condition outside of their training & - perhaps - remit

On 7/18/2020 at 2:56 PM, Donald Trumps said:

It is possible for psychiatrists not to see ADHD as an illness but as a neurological condition outside of their training & - perhaps - remit

No it isn’t. It is squarely in the psychiatrist remit

On 7/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, macker123 said:

Regarding these comments about the Dr Byrne it has left me feeling worse in myself as i have confined in him for many years as PD.

This is wrong am i am the victim aswell in this mess as nobody did anything to let him still practise - why did it take so long for the system to pick this up? if the service was run good he should of been suspended straight away and not take any new clients on inwhich he did so. This has made my mental health drop even worsen. Also take note that the other Doctors are not from the UK here they are all foreign. WHY is THIS? I feel very insecure now what has happened recently and to me even with the COVID19. LIFE IS SHIT

I am so sorry for you. I hope that all of his patients have been contacted by the service to let them know what has happened and to provide a contact for any concerns. 
Many people had raised concerns about this doctor for years. They were dismissed as he had a charming facade and there was absolutely no oversight as to what he was actually doing. He literally wrote his own paycheck and surrounded himself with those who looked the other way or benefitted financially from him ( as he decided the pay for doctors working in psychiatry) I suspect that a lot of tax payers money fraudulently lost and unrecoverable. 

9 hours ago, Patient centred said:

No it isn’t. It is squarely in the psychiatrist remit

Only where medicinal intervention is considered a necessity surely?

On 7/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, macker123 said:

Also take note that the other Doctors are not from the UK here they are all foreign. WHY is THIS? I feel very insecure now what has happened recently and to me even with the COVID19. LIFE IS SHIT

I’d maybe take a cue from the BLM thread and suggest that the level of psychiatric support you will receive from a “foreign” Doctor is the exact same as the level of support you will receive from a “UK” Doctor. Perhaps you’re exhibiting classic symptoms of undiagnosed Xenophobia? 

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

I’d maybe take a cue from the BLM thread and suggest that the level of psychiatric support you will receive from a “foreign” Doctor is the exact same as the level of support you will receive from a “UK” Doctor. Perhaps you’re exhibiting classic symptoms of undiagnosed Xenophobia? 

That's not a very sympathetic response to someone who is clearly suffering from severe mental health difficulties.  You shouldn't really be trying to make political points out of someone else's misery.

It's worth pointing out that there is a problem particularly in psychiatry because so much of how psychiatric problems are expressed are culturally-mediated.  So a doctor who may be well-qualified and competent in another location may not be able to have the same understanding of patients in a new place.  It's not about race but how much experience people have in the particular cultural situations of a particular place - and not just at country level as well.

This is particularly true if the only available medical help is coming from locums who have not been there long and may only be there for a short time.  Especially as continuity of care is especially important is psychiatry - it's not helpful if you have a new doctor every time and have to spend the entire session explaining everything from scratch every time.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's not a very sympathetic response to someone who is clearly suffering from severe mental health difficulties.  You shouldn't really be trying to make political points out of someone else's misery.

Is the poster clearly suffering mental health difficulties? It’s a first post and could be a complete spoof to be honest and really I thought the subtext as I read it sounded quite xenophobic. I’d be interested to know more about who these “foreigners” are and where they are “foreign” from. Also how their “foreign-ness” affects their clinical outcomes according to the poster. That’s all. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Is the poster clearly suffering mental health difficulties? It’s a first post and could be a complete spoof to be honest and really I thought the subtext as I read it sounded quite xenophobic. I’d be interested to know more about who these “foreigners” are and where they are “foreign” from. Also how their “foreign-ness” affects their clinical outcomes according to the poster. That’s all. 

It could be, but I tend to assume that new posters are genuine[1] unless subsequent posts suggest otherwise.  I took it as being genuinely confused and the complaints about foreignness being caused by a train of locums (which I have heard remarked on by others). 

[1]  May not apply if they have the name of a Dead President.

• Haha 1

My psychiatrist was from portugal so definately foreign but was lovely but sadly went back to UK due in main the difficulties in getting back to Portugal to see family etc . I didnt mind where they came from as tbh along as they cared .  Lots  of mental health staff working here leave alot to be desired . Crisis Team included sadly. Take the Meds and sign you off. Bye . Some CMHS team also as bad if they even turn up to appointment or dont cancel 

Edited by Numbnuts