No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

Please read the findings. The most concerning thing for me was the positive testimonials from his cronies that all still work there. 
https://www.mpts-uk.org/-/media/mpts-rod-files/dr-timothy-byrne-30-july-2020.pdf

They knew dodgy things were going on. However, they all benefited from him agreeing their wages and leave. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only at NoBalls Hospital eh?

The addition or a comma after Hurley, would make that read better. Just saying, not criticising.

Because I’m too old and wouldn’t effectively contribute to turning Tynwald into a modern, forward looking 21st Century Parliament. And by trotting out the tired and irrelevant ‘Why don’t you stan

9 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

Please read the findings. The most concerning thing for me was the positive testimonials from his cronies that all still work there. 
https://www.mpts-uk.org/-/media/mpts-rod-files/dr-timothy-byrne-30-july-2020.pdf

They knew dodgy things were going on. However, they all benefited from him agreeing their wages and leave. 

This paragraph struck me:

24. The Tribunal had sight of the testimonials before it. They clearly portray Dr Byrne as someone who is highly regarded by his professional colleagues. However, the Tribunal was concerned that they do not speak to the serious issues of boundary violation and sexual misconduct at the heart of this hearing.  [my bold]

The local testimonials were from (p 5-6):

• Dr C, Consultant Psychiatrist and Responsible Officer, in person.

• Dr D, Consultant in Old Age Psychiatry at the Older Persons Mental Health Service, Isle of Man;

• Dr E, Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry in the Community Mental Health Team, Isle of Man;

• Dr F, Consultant Psychiatrist in the Community Mental Health Team, Isle of Man;

• Dr G, Consultant Psychiatrist in Substance Misuse in the Drug and Alcohol Team, Isle of Man;

• Dr H, Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry in the Community Mental Health Team for Adults, Isle of Man;

And like dilligaf I was struck by the similarity to grooming.  In some ways the manipulativeness is more worrying that the sexual misconduct.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This paragraph struck me:

The local testimonials were from (p 5-6):

• Dr C, Consultant Psychiatrist and Responsible Officer, in person.

• Dr D, Consultant in Old Age Psychiatry at the Older Persons Mental Health Service, Isle of Man;

• Dr E, Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry in the Community Mental Health Team, Isle of Man;

• Dr F, Consultant Psychiatrist in the Community Mental Health Team, Isle of Man;

• Dr G, Consultant Psychiatrist in Substance Misuse in the Drug and Alcohol Team, Isle of Man;

• Dr H, Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry in the Community Mental Health Team for Adults, Isle of Man;

And like dilligaf I was struck by the similarity to grooming.  In some ways the manipulativeness is more worrying that the sexual misconduct.

The job titles enable identification of each one of them by Manxies, which is unfortunate. For a disciplinary body that’s trying so carefully to anonymise its judgment to not realise that in a small community each of those titles is readily identifiable.

Its a worrying error  by Dr Byrne and his legal team of things taught in Mitigation 101. If the facts are established ( and they were way back in May ) make sure any one you ask to provide a reference is fully briefed as to what has happened, so they can properly decide what to write, and whether their glowing testimonial is justified.

By the time they were written he was suspended from practice and no longer able to determine pay, holidays, conditions, if he ever was.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The job titles enable identification of each one of them by Manxies, which is unfortunate. For a disciplinary body that’s trying so carefully to anonymise its judgment to not realise that in a small community each of those titles is readily identifiable.

Its a worrying error  by Dr Byrne and his legal team of things taught in Mitigation 101. If the facts are established ( and they were way back in May ) make sure any one you ask to provide a reference is fully briefed as to what has happened, so they can properly decide what to write, and whether their glowing testimonial is justified.

By the time they were written he was suspended from practice and no longer able to determine pay, holidays, conditions, if he ever was.

They don't really seem that worried about identification of professionals in practice - if you look at the following paragraph the expert witness Dr J is easily identifiable.  Those witness statements seem to refer to the original hearings in July 2019 when Byrne was still in his managerial position, though not clinically practising.

On 8/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, Patient centred said:

Glad you all think that this serious matter is so trivial. Clearly you have never tried to access local mental health services which have been a shambles for years. 

Shambles??  It can’t be, the director of mental health then became the interim CEO and then on to a new post running the hospital, surely if she was a shambles manager of mental health services whilst all this was going on she would have been held accountable.  Shambles, surely not.

• Confused 1

From the report to is right to have been deregistered, without doubt. 

Edited by Apple
makes more sense
20 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Shambles??  It can’t be, the director of mental health then became the interim CEO and then on to a new post running the hospital, surely if she was a shambles manager of mental health services whilst all this was going on she would have been held accountable.  Shambles, surely not.

Shambles I am absolutely sure. I’m afraid the rot goes right through and to the core. 

• Sad 1
20 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes he was. He agreed all sorts of things that just wouldN’t have been able to happen in England due to checks and balances. Up until very recently psychiatry was left out on a limb managerially. Dr Byrne was able  to pull the wool over all the peoples eyes because a) psychiatry is stigmatised and so are it’s patients ( see previous comments disbelieving and blaming the patient for Dr Byrne’s behaviour) and because b) he was a liar ( proven in the court case) with a charming exterior. I know of other serious complaints made against him, investigated and white washed. 
Anyway. I hope that the senior management ( Med Director and above) will now look hard at what has been going on, not take superficial platitudes and make improvements to the service but with all of those very, very misguided senior clinicians who have had a very cosy relationship with him and still working there I am not holding my breath. I hope they hold their heads in shame. Bad people only thrive when good people look the other way. 

On 8/8/2020 at 2:24 AM, 2bees said:

That’s nothing compared to the doctor who was nicking NHS smak for her mate and then got herself caught driving while off her head on some other drink and drugs she’d acquired and another one who shagged a goat (a goat... wtf? How did they even know this? Goatbook?) if I hadn’t seen that link I’d never have looked )and I partially wish I hadn’t)  - I mean, at what point in your career as a doctor do you think you’re going to be ok nicking drugs and shagging goats - Seriously! 

Post of the year, so far!

• Like 2

Forgive me but I am still trying to find my way around this system....

I was looking at the mental health site earlier and the policies that need updating / changing lead me to suspect things are not well there, which is very worrying given the nature of Mannanan Court. Do they come under Noble's management? Also, the Dr Dickenson reports last year seem to have been left off Mr Ashford's recent Tynwald answer about DHSC reports.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Patient centred said:

Yes he was. He agreed all sorts of things that just wouldN’t have been able to happen in England due to checks and balances. Up until very recently psychiatry was left out on a limb managerially. Dr Byrne was able  to pull the wool over all the peoples eyes because a) psychiatry is stigmatised and so are it’s patients ( see previous comments disbelieving and blaming the patient for Dr Byrne’s behaviour) and because b) he was a liar ( proven in the court case) with a charming exterior. I know of other serious complaints made against him, investigated and white washed. 
Anyway. I hope that the senior management ( Med Director and above) will now look hard at what has been going on, not take superficial platitudes and make improvements to the service but with all of those very, very misguided senior clinicians who have had a very cosy relationship with him and still working there I am not holding my breath. I hope they hold their heads in shame. Bad people only thrive when good people look the other way. 

That’s the problem, they are so bonded, propping up each others inadequacy, there is no chance of any change.  Each leader is soon shown the door names ‘family or personal reasons’ to leave.   Crap managers don’t leave they just sit on the same salary in another made up post, but in reality they are still propping up the crap management ways.  Must be bloody awful for the workers working under them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Apple said:

I was looking at the mental health site earlier and the policies that need updating / changing lead me to suspect things are not well there, which is very worrying given the nature of Mannanan Court. Do they come under Noble's management? Also, the Dr Dickenson reports last year seem to have been left off Mr Ashford's recent Tynwald answer about DHSC reports.

There was some discussion on here about the Dickinson reports last year and they are also mentioned earlier in this topic.  The most notable thing about them was the lack of discussion of any medical input to the care of patients.

Roger Mexico - thank you for the links. I am beginning to appreciate the depth of the problems. Presumably there has been a further inspection as suggested by Patient Centred (Royal College of Psychiatrists or similar professional body) as I am sure the current management and the Minister for DHSC would not for a second allow sub standard care for such a potentially vulnerable group of people. 

I read now in the Manx Care transformation reports that the postmen and post women can be be trained to provide first line health care in the community. Shambles is not the right word I'm. afraid. 

3 hours ago, Apple said:

Roger Mexico - thank you for the links. I am beginning to appreciate the depth of the problems. Presumably there has been a further inspection as suggested by Patient Centred (Royal College of Psychiatrists or similar professional body) as I am sure the current management and the Minister for DHSC would not for a second allow sub standard care for such a potentially vulnerable group of people. 

I read now in the Manx Care transformation reports that the postmen and post women can be be trained to provide first line health care in the community. Shambles is not the right word I'm. afraid. 

I’m afraid there has been no external review by any external body Specific to or knowledgeable in psychiatry despite some calling for it ( for years)

I see from todays Tynwald questions that the terms of reference for the various DHSC Covid groups involved Tim Byrne. (sorry can't link yet).

Presumably these events may come up in response to the Speakers question No 19. Is there more to come or that we are not yet aware of I ask myself.