Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Patient centred

No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

Patient Centred seems to be on a crusade against this man, nothing has been proven, one person's word against another who was troubled at the time.    I would treat all allegations with caution unless proved without doubt.   If accused are named so should accusers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BallaDoc said:

Maybe it's time for both parties to move on rather than throwing more taxpayers money at this.

The problem here is that the way this seems to have been handled by department has prolonged and complicated matters. Then they’ve tried to say that the matter is time barred. This seems to have been thrown out in this preliminary hearing. 

Quite right dec. The substance of her complaint hasn't yet been revealed in any detail, save for a few references to concern for patient safety.

“One particular problem in healthcare is not just the capacity to learn from mistakes, but also that even when mistakes are detected, the learning opportunities do not flow through the system” Matthew Syed

It strikes me that a group of senior doctors in the Isle of Man - over a good few years - have run things for themselves, and have become so immune to management direction that 'anything goes'. Obscene salaries based on job plans and appraisals signed off by each other, unknown quality of care (think bowel surgery, endoscopy, breasts etc) and absent moral compasses have led to many of the problems we have had and still face.

A combination of public sector 'terms and conditions' and a ferociously protective union - the BMA (also run locally by the same group of senior doctors) - have stalled any attempts at improvement.

It is correct to say that we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the Byrne case, but it would be truly appalling to try to disregard the complainant because she was under psychiatric care - even though I am sure that this is exactly what Dr Byrne's defence team will try to do.

All the Michael reforms will do - at great expense - is rearrange the deckchairs.  What is needed is a clear out of the bad and a reboot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I think it is disgusting that this man's name has been plastered all over the media without a shred of evidence, just one disturbed woman's word and a bit of tittle tattle.   Here we go again, if the accused is to be named so should the accuser, level playing fields please.

It's a bit different from an alleged sexual sexual assault or rape though.  No one is saying that the alleged relationship was non-consensual (in so far as a relationship between someone with mental health problems and a person treating them can ever be consensual).  What the accusation is is that it is unprofessional and that he behaved unprofessionally in other ways as well.  If you look at the actual formal allegations:

The tribunal will inquire into the allegation that between 2007 and 2016, Dr Byrne acted as Patient A’s treating psychiatrist and/or care coordinator, during which time he engaged in an inappropriate relationship with Patient A, including on one occasion entering Patient A’s house unannounced and also giving Patient A gifts. It is alleged that Dr Byrne’s actions were sexually motivated.

It is further alleged that between June 2012 and June 2013 Dr Byrne engaged in a sexual relationship with Patient A. It is alleged that he failed to record any intimacy in her medical records; report any intimacy to his employer and/or colleagues and record accurate and appropriate details of consultations with Patient A in her medical records. It is alleged that at all material times Patient A was vulnerable as a result of her mental health.

most of them don't even relate to sexual nature of the relationship, though they may arise from it.  It's possible that the tribunal could find that no sex took place but still punish him for other things.

People don't realise that medical rules are a bit more relaxed about relationships between doctors and patients than they once were.  But there must be no element of exploitation involved (difficult if mental health is involved) and the doctor must be open about recording that there is involvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patient centred said:

Problem is the individual departments are incapable of managing these things appropriately. Many many people have walked away after being broken. 

Including patient complaints.

My experience is that the creatures in the self-styled management suite exist to allow wrongdoers to wriggle off hooks, blank complainants and to bask in their own self-satisfied smug highly-paid existence

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patient centred said:

Problem is the individual departments are incapable of managing these things appropriately. Many many people have walked away after being broken. 

Just ask what the turnover of staff is in the psychology department. 

Im glad someone has decided to fight. Good on them. 

5 hours ago, Patient centred said:

I think it is well known by staff from that time that he was meeting this patient three times a week over a very extended period and these were home visits. People were wondering why as this level of personal attention is never required  unless you are a home treatment team with a very ill person  trying to prevent admission and even then you can only keep it up for short period of time due to workforce. I hope they have the work diaries. 

interesting question that though  what does he normally do in his day job? Is there a match with his paper job plan? Is there a job plan at all?  

PC you seem to know a lot about these issues, 

are you an ex member of the mental health department? 

do you have a personal grudge? 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Maire said:

PC you seem to know a lot about these issues, 

are you an ex member of the mental health department? 

do you have a personal grudge? 

I’m in a queue with others who have raised quite legitimate concerns via correct procedures and been completely ignored. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

It strikes me that a group of senior doctors in the Isle of Man - over a good few years - have run things for themselves, and have become so immune to management direction that 'anything goes'. 

This is true but it has been allowed to happen because those senior to them in the dept of health have done nothing about it. Even when other senior doctors have raised concerns. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Interesting that Beacroft refused to assist and act on her responsibilities, worrying that the current CEO of DHSC Angela Murray seems incapable of managing her own department and is now able to take that mindset and lack of skill base to oversee DHSC.   Forget the boat in the morning...run for the hills, we are sinking!!  She is steering  the ship

Edited by buncha wankas

6 hours ago, Patient centred said:

I think it is well known by staff from that time that he was meeting this patient three times a week over a very extended period and these were home visits. People were wondering why as this level of personal attention is never required  unless you are a home treatment team with a very ill person  trying to prevent admission and even then you can only keep it up for short period of time due to workforce. I hope they have the work diaries. 

interesting question that though  what does he normally do in his day job? Is there a match with his paper job plan? Is there a job plan at all?  

I have to say that my first reaction on reading the Daily Mail report was: THREE times a week!  We have constantly been told over the last decade that there is a tremendous shortage of mental health treatments and waiting lists for even the most serious cases are long.  And yet here is someone getting three sessions a week over a long period and in their own home (which in itself should raise all sort of warning flags except in exceptional circumstances).   

As ever it's the lack of any sort of management control that's shocking.  Even if nothing was 'going on' this was a clear misuse of resources and time and very unwise to boot.  In the mental health field managers should be extra-aware of the stresses that their staff could be under and monitoring them accordingly and sympathetically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gettafa said:

A slight change of subject but when I was at school one of the teachers ended up leaving his wife and family and marrying one of his former pupils who he had taught since she was 11.

It might have raised a few eyebrows generally but the establishment were clearly ok with it all as he remained in his teaching post and was continually promoted and lauded.

she was well built.

• Like 1

It has been known for a patient to become starry eyed putting it mildly about a doctor who has been kind to them.    Bearing this in mind it could be in this case a matter of wishful thinking on behalf of the patient wh was not in a good state of mind and has mistaken kindness for romantic interest.    I think there is a certain amount of hearsay and gossip surrounding this case and I do hope these allegations come to nothing, the accuser should be named as well as the accused .    I am sure this would cut down the number of cases like this.

Why, how many are there?

One is one too many.

• Like 1