Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Patient centred

No wonder the psychiatric service is a shambles

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

You misunderstand me Sultan (possibly deliberately).  There are establishments and establishments - defined, as I said by vested interests.  For example, the senior doctors in Noble's/mental health/GP land are an establishment, and act together to protect their vested interests.

I accept that your views about hospital management are clear enough!

I think you will find that there are two very separate group of doctors. Those that are in and run the medical society to their own vested interests and all the others who are trying so hard to blast them apart.  

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

You misunderstand me Sultan (possibly deliberately).  There are establishments and establishments - defined, as I said by vested interests.  For example, the senior doctors in Noble's/mental health/GP land are an establishment, and act together to protect their vested interests.

I accept that your views about hospital management are clear enough!

Concerted action by Consultants for Consultants to protect their interests is certainly consistent with what my cardiac Consultant relative (by marriage) regularly reports in the context of large London teaching hospitals.

13 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Concerted action by Consultants for Consultants to protect their interests is certainly consistent with what my cardiac Consultant relative (by marriage) regularly reports in the context of large London teaching hospitals.

We aren’t a large London Teaching hospital. 

14 hours ago, Uhtred said:

As Aneurin Bevan said, you have to stuff their mouths with gold

2 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

As Aneurin Bevan said, you have to stuff their mouths with gold

I suppose it depends upon where your financial priorities lie.

1. My Lawyer - £300+ per hour.

2. At least one (to my certain knowledge) Douglas based Tax adviser £500 per hour.

3. Alexis Sanchez, UK Footballer - £18,200,000 per annum.

4. UK NHS Top Consultant Locum cap - £110 per hour (often exceeded).

5. IOM Bank Staff Consultant Cap - £85 per hour

Just saying....

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Patient centred said:

We aren’t a large London Teaching hospital. 

You’re on the ball eh?

On 10/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, Manximus Aururaneus said:

2. At least one (to my certain knowledge) Douglas based Tax adviser £500 per hour.

Just saying....

I know one very senior London hospital consultant who expressed utter astonishment that a colleague earned over £750,000  from the NHS in one single year

"It can't be done" he exclaimed "it can't be done"

But it was dear reader, it was

Edited by Donald Trumps
facking spellin agane

On 10/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Just saying....

I suspect many will be working via agencies for much more than that .

I know a doctor who has been working through a UK agency as the rates he gets are far higher than local rates..

On local rates he said that would only  get just over half of what he gets via agency. This makes me wonder if they are being paid £160 or £170 per hour through agency .

PS: assuming that the Isle of man cap is the £85 in the post above..

Edited by mad_manx

6 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I suspect many will be working via agencies for much more than that .

I know a doctor who has been working through a UK agency as the rates he gets are far higher than local rates..

On local rates he said that would only  get just over half of what he gets via agency. This makes me wonder if they are being paid £160 or £170 per hour through agency .

PS: assuming that the Isle of man cap is the £85 in the post above..

The 'bank' of doctors, nurses etc. is made of of local people who will do additional shifts on a zero hours basis.  Very many of them are also working full time for the DHSC, from what I have been told.  Agency is completely different and far more expensive, and so the £85 is a bit of a red herring.

Going back to bank doctors, either some fantastic scam is being run (taking extra payments when you work full time??) and/or it must make for very tired and therefore dangerous medics.  I don't think that such a system is possible across.

8 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

The 'bank' of doctors, nurses etc. is made of of local people who will do additional shifts on a zero hours basis.  Very many of them are also working full time for the DHSC, from what I have been told.  Agency is completely different and far more expensive, and so the £85 is a bit of a red herring.

Going back to bank doctors, either some fantastic scam is being run (taking extra payments when you work full time??) and/or it must make for very tired and therefore dangerous medics.  I don't think that such a system is possible across.

It is no red herring - I'm looking at a Nobles pay packet as I type.

The bank system is the standard system across the UK. Agency makes up the deficit (when it can get the people that is).

3 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

It is no red herring - I'm looking at a Nobles pay packet as I type.

The bank system is the standard system across the UK. Agency makes up the deficit (when it can get the people that is).

Basic supply and demand. The supply of doctors and nurses is poor so costs get pushed up. Working on the bank does not make sense as you get paid less and with no protections. Working via an agency gives you more money and more support but still no holiday, educational opportunities, appraisal or sick pay ( unlike in permanent post). 
When staff are employed from the bank they are basically filling the gaps on the cheap. Only those on permanent contracts will do this as they won’t be allowed to work extra locally, via an agency. How else can you fill gaps? Expect them to do it for free? Expect there to be a local pot of unemployed staff who will fill in gaps on the Bank?

Sorry, going back a bit. I witnessed medical Consultants trying to be heard against the Psychiatric Consultants' opinion in Noble's.  The Hospital etc. was siding with the mental health as medics were giving their honest opinion....we don't know what is wrong. Woe betide someone with integrity and honesty. Honest Consultants are banging their heads against a brick wall. The Doctor who signed the death certificate of the patient, as "Dementia",  (which was queried at Registrar's office), who is NOT a dementia expert, and must have based his assumption on the said Psychiatrist (as said before, who went from "early dementia" to "advanced dementia" to fit the symptoms, in one month's time span), went on, just before completion of the contrived IRB hearing in 2016, to become a politician. Coincidence or a player ????? A Government full of players seems the best solution to the abundant problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VixenTheViking said:

(as said before, who went from "early dementia" to "advanced dementia" to fit the symptoms, in one month's time span)

Possibly incorrect diagnosis first time around?