Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Rushen Spy

Facebook's new "fact-checking" feature for news articles/sources

Posted (edited)

Has anybody else noticed that when they see articles from news websites, Facebook is now adding a "Related Articles" section which is a link to a site which purports to confirm or debunk the veracity of the article?

I appreciate that there are fake news articles or outright biased and untrue articles. However, it seems the "Related Articles" for news articles from US pages/groups are themselves what I'd categorise as biased sources. For example, Snopes is often one of the sites used to "fact check" yet they are well known to be a biased and unreliable source.

Why am I posting this in the "Local News" section"?  I want to know if the Isle of Man's news and online content sharing is or is expected to come under the remit of this kind of weird biased "fact checking"? Who will get to decide? I'm interested in what kind of communications or conversations have been had between Isle of Man "media stakeholders"  and social media giants. It concerns me that people like James Corrin or Rob Callister might jump on the bandwagon (and have already shown indications of having done so) and be first to start pushing for this kind of dystopic censorship of free and open discourse so they get a major say in it all. It's frightening to think about.

Personally, I think none of this is necessary. What is necessary is better education or awareness of checking sources. Let's encourage more critical independent thought in the schools instead of brainwashing children to become future drones of corporations.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 1

I wonder what fact checking (actually fantasy checking) Facebook links will show against Callister’s blog this week? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

I wonder what fact checking (actually fantasy checking) Facebook links will show against Callister’s blog this week? 

I'm worried that a sociopath blog poster in government might pre-emptively position themselves (as a cry baby "victim" of "fake news", meaning the recipient of legitimate criticism) to become the decider of "fact" and set their blog up as a fact-checking outlet. This may be why he's made references to this forum and to so-called "trolls" (the new bogie man).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I'm worried that a sociopath blog poster in government might pre-emptively position themselves (as a cry baby "victim" of "fake news", meaning the recipient of legitimate criticism) to become the decider of "fact" and set their blog up as a fact-checking outlet. This may be why he's made references to this forum and to so-called "trolls" (the new bogie man).

Hmm, an interesting theory. I’m sure that pathetic man-child who does his internet and social media work for him has already given that sort of thing a cursory thought. 

Posted (edited)

I think there really is something to this though. It was about the same time Julie Edge MHK for Onchan had liaised with or attended a lecture or meeting regarding social media trolls that she was was mysteriously permanently banned from James Corrin's group, when he then cowardly proceeded to post slanderous garbage about her, which her colleague Rob Callister did not comment on and still refuses to comment on; just as he refuses to defend or comment on the bans against his own constituents who voted for him, which kind of raises questions as to who exactly is pulling the strings on that FB group. I think these two men -- James Corrin and Rob Callister -- constitute the gravest threat to democracy and freedom of speech this island has seen in decades.

Edited by Rushen Spy

20 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Rob Callister did not comment on and still refuses to comment on; just as he refuses to defend or comment on the bans against his own constituents who voted for him, which kind of raises questions as to who exactly is pulling the strings on that FB group.

I’d say it’s very clear who pulls the strings on that group and it isn’t Corrin. He’s too stupid for one. 

• Thanks 1

No, James turned on Julie because he approached him in Shoprite, or another store, and had a bit of a hissy fit because according to him, she was responsible for putting his rent up.    I think she gave him short shrift for tackling her, verbally, in public and the spat went on from there.   She is now the bad fairy.  I do not think she will be getting his vote at the next election, I do not think she will give a flying f..k.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

No, James turned on Julie because he approached him in Shoprite, or another store, and had a bit of a hissy fit because according to him, she was responsible for putting his rent up.    I think she gave him short shrift for tackling her, verbally, in public and the spat went on from there.   She is now the bad fairy.  I do not think she will be getting his vote at the next election, I do not think she will give a flying f..k.

James had been harassing Julie Edge MHK long before he harassed (stalked) her in the Shoprite in Onchan. He was obsessed over rent price increases which were going to affect him. I imagine she probably did reply but he didn't agree with the response and decided to hone in on her while she was shopping for groceries to attack her. Is he retarded or something? He may be retarded but should know full well that political members don't determine the policy of a department. He's lucky she didn't report him to the Police for harassment. To then "de-person" her from his group (which, let's be honest here, has below 50 people active on it, not the 8,000 + that it says and who never see its content because they've never interacted with it) is pretty orwellian.  People really shouldn't 'look at "total members" on here or on Facebook. What matters is who engages and who reads. I assure everyone, 8,000+ people are not reading that site.

• Like 2

Back to the original topic...I had exactly this concern over Theresa May's resignation speech (remember her? - seems a long time ago...)  Before she got to the teary eyed bit which attracted all the attention, she said, and I quote:

"The deficit is almost eliminated, our national debt is falling and we are bringing an end to austerity."

Now that cannot possibly be true, not because it's my opinion, but because of basic mathematics.  Mathematically, the national debt is the sum total of all of the accumulated deficits over the years.  Therefore, for the national debt to start falling, the annual budget deficit needs to be first reduced, then brought down to zero, then made negative, .ie. a budget surplus is produced.  Then you use the budget surplus to start paying off the debt.  It is mathematically impossible to maintain a budget deficit, however small, and pay off the debt at the same time. 

So I did a bit of independent research and found this from FullFact, "the UK's independent fact checking charity":

https://fullfact.org/news/theresa-mays-resignation-speech-factchecked/

They say that May's speech is correct, and the justification they give for saying this is to use a sort of economic magical sleight-of-hand and say that the national debt isn't really the debt at all, it should be looked at as more like a ratio between the debt and the GDP, and if you do this, why, hey presto, the debt falls without you actually having to pay any of it back!  Marvellous!

So the point I'm making is that I agree, fact-checking is only as good as the fact-checkers, and if you put garbage in you will get garbage out. 

• Like 3

This issue will be quite a struggle for some locals who like to post on Facebook

To clarify facts on here James Corrin has continued to attack me even so much as challenging me again in Shoprite recently stating “thought you were ill you weren’t in House of Keys today”  I had just come back from a hospital appointment that day having just had a cancer operation a few days before and advised him I was ill but did need supplies. 

He then turned and aggressively walked towards me “ranting at me stating why aren’t you at home in bed keeping warm then”  how shallow minded to think he knew the reason I wasn’t in the House of Keys. 

A couple of weeks later rumours around the Tynwald chambers were “Julie Edge attacked a constituent at Shoprite and used the F word”. For one I never use language like that but more interesting who was it that was spreading this rumour around Tynwald. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

To clarify facts on here James Corrin has continued to attack me even so much as challenging me again in Shoprite recently stating “thought you were ill you weren’t in House of Keys today”  I had just come back from a hospital appointment that day having just had a cancer operation a few days before and advised him I was ill but did need supplies. 

He then turned and aggressively walked towards me “ranting at me stating why aren’t you at home in bed keeping warm then”  how shallow minded to think he knew the reason I wasn’t in the House of Keys. 

A couple of weeks later rumours around the Tynwald chambers were “Julie Edge attacked a constituent at Shoprite and used the F word”. For one I never use language like that but more interesting who was it that was spreading this rumour around Tynwald. 

You need to ask??

It's just not safe to go shopping in onchan. Were I to like generally dull weather enough to choose to live there then I would most certainly make use of the Tesco home delivery service.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, Julie. None of it surprises anybody, except the part about a cancer operation: I hope you are well and making a recovery.

• Like 1