Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Statutory Boards and their composition

Posted (edited)

Am I right to feel that despite government's claims to have committees made up from members of the 'public', they are a refuge for retired public service workers. It seems that no matter what your qualifications, you will always be trumped by a former Chief Executive, police officer, teacher, probation officer etc etc? 

Is this because they really feel that anyone from outside of their circle is likely to be stupid or a trouble maker? This seems to also be the case when taking people into other voluntary positions or retirement type jobs such as ushers etc. 

If you keep taking on the same kind of people, you perpetuate the same kind of results, is this the intention? If so, why are these positions even advertised?  

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Am I right to feel that despite government's claims to have committees made up from members of the 'public', they are a refuge for retired public service workers. It seems that no matter what your qualifications, you will always be trumped by a former Chief Executive, police officer, teacher, probation officer etc etc? 

Is this because they really feel that anyone from outside of their circle is likely to be stupid or a trouble maker? This seems to also be the case when taking people into other voluntary positions or retirement type jobs such as ushers etc. 

If you keep taking on the same kind of people, you perpetuate the same kind of results, is this the intention? If so, why are these positions even advertised?  

I made the very same point to CT about there not being an independent unaligned member on the CS Pension Authority Board (I think that's what it's called). Frankly it's an insult to the taxpayer that this kind of thing should happen.

• Like 2

Really, a lot of 'ordinary' people steer clear of any sort of committee sponsored by government as they're never truly independent

If they did involve ordinary members of the public, it would only to be the fall guy when the shit hits the fans

The untapped knowledge ,experience and quality of individuals on the Isle of Man has always been ignored by the executive and the civil service who pull the strings.

Our society has payed a heavy price for this ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It’s happened to me too. They don’t want anyone with any wider experience of anything which might raise issues that need to be dealt with or which might make anyone look bad. They’d much prefer the same sort of brain dead individuals who all know each other and who are just chuffed to be asked to be there so as not to rock the boat. Can you imagine if a commercial board acted like that when it came to appointing non executive directors? The whole point of a non executive is to bring a different perspective to a board so that they don’t get tunnel vision. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It’s happened to me too. They don’t want anyone with any wider experience of anything which might raise issues that need to be dealt with or which might make anyone look bad. They’d much prefer the same sort of brain dead individuals who all know each other and who are just chuffed to be asked to be there so as not to rock the boat. Can you imagine if a commercial board acted like that when it came to appointing non executive directors? The whole point of a non executive is to bring a different perspective to a board so that they don’t get tunnel vision. 

+1.

• Like 1

All government departments staunchly refuse to employ persons of intelligence for fear of being rumbled!  

I don't know if titles of threads can be edited, but it could help if the OP did that.  Standing committees are almost always used to describe the very important (in their own eyes) groups of Tynwald members who scrutinise the IOMG - example - Public Accounts Committee chaired by the incomparable genius in military uniform that is Spuan Juan.

Then there are the select committees - very important (in their own eyes) groups of Tynwald members who look into particular topics - one of those will shortly fix everything about homelessness.

Beyond that, there are so many other committees, boards and what not that you can get lost in the mess.  A former bish (Graeme Knowles) made a farewell speech in which he said that the Isle of Man is 'grossly over-governed'.  Yes.

At the heart of the problem that the OP may have experienced is the shadowy Appointments Commission, which finds people to sit on the multiple bodies which are all over the place.  It is chaired by an ex-civil servant of course, and she no doubt looks after old mates as much as she can.

I also understand that many people in public positions are simply given the job.  I have heard that there was no recruitment process for the health service review - Sir Jonathan Michael was just a good type recommended by one of the government directors (old mates), and Alfredo and the Boy Vampire liked the cut of his jib.

We aren't served well by any of these processes, and it must be true that masses of experience and talent are simply ignored to allow the old girls and boys network to roll on.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

It is chaired by an ex-civil servant of course, and she no doubt looks after old mates as much as she can.

Who is this?

Also, good point about the thread title - “Standing Committees” is very much a Tynwald term and not what the OP actually then refers to.

• Like 1

Think @Max Power means quangos. Helen Booth is chair of the appointments commission.

• Like 1

I've never understood why they have to stand during these specific committees. Surely it is against the Equality Act?

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Who is this?

Also, good point about the thread title - “Standing Committees” is very much a Tynwald term and not what the OP actually then refers to.

It's a UK Parliamentary term.

There's a Report listing all the Quangos, Tribunals etc, with membership, how appointed etc as they were back in July 2016. Some of them are so obscure that people haven't been appointed, but presumably there if you're going to regulate (for example) riding establishments, there is a legal requirement that people can appeal if they disagree with something.

You do see the same names again and again though - 'John Wright' appears five times.  Though it's possibly because he is the only lawyer on the Island that would do stuff for the fairly low allowances that you get for attending many of these groups (and more time -consuming) going through all the paperwork involved).  The name 'Booth' seems to crop up a lot as well.

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I don't know if titles of threads can be edited, but it could help if the OP did that.  Standing committees are almost always used to describe the very important (in their own eyes) groups of Tynwald members who scrutinise the IOMG - example - Public Accounts Committee chaired by the incomparable genius in military uniform that is Spuan Juan.

Yes, I meant Statutory Boards rather than Standing Committees.