DOI Says To Hell With Local Business

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

well as suggested above, it makes sense to get the middle section down during the summer so that can become a carriageway during the winter. that way the landward services can get finished with 'minimum' *** disruption to the hoteliers and businesses. most of what's going on at present seems to be fact finding for the big dig. if i'm right, then the seaward side would be tackled next spring / summer. 

this is only my guesswork as a former civil* engineer 

* i swore too much to stay in that business 

*** this isn't a joke honest, what is going on now is nothing compared to what it can become :(

What intrigues me is why DOI didn't plan to blitz one section at a time, ie from Jubilee clock to the Gaiety. Finish that first, then move on from the Gaiety to Broadway, Broadway to Empress Drive/Castle Mona etc etc.

Deal with all the problems in one area before moving on to the next.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed and it's strange. When the redevelopment was first proposed (and the sky was going to cave in if it wasn't done?) it was at least partly on account of the promenade foundations having been unde

That’s not the reason it happens. It happens because it comes out of a different purse.  This happens all the time.  Take the Laxey sea wall as an example. For years the commissioners paid f

There was a quote from Mr Harmer in the past month that work was being majorly delayed on account of encountering "uncharted services". On a Victorian promenade. Who'd have guessed?

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

The middle bit is only being prioritised so that the DOI can play trains/trams with their expensive toy set. 

All the tram lines should have been left until right at the very end horse trams should have been suspended for 3 or 4 years (or even better scrapped altogether) - they're the least important and only non-essential bit of the whole project. But no, somebody in DOI had to prioritise them so they could fuck around pulling an empty tram up and down 500 yards of road. 

You don’t think cars will drive along it during winter then? Where will they go otherwise? 

41 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What intrigues me is why DOI didn't plan to blitz one section at a time, ie from Jubilee clock to the Gaiety. Finish that first, then move on from the Gaiety to Broadway, Broadway to Empress Drive/Castle Mona etc etc.

Nor me. 

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

You don’t think cars will drive along it during winter then? Where will they go otherwise? 

They could have just left the old road surface until it was time to replace it. Then lay the tracks once the road was finished. 

There was no need for it to be priority. Someone in DOI knew if there was no horse trams there would be no reduction in tourist and they wouldn't be able to defend their little pet project by saying it's an 'essential' visitor attraction! 

9 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

They could have just left the old road surface until it was time to replace it. Then lay the tracks once the road was finished. 

There was no need for it to be priority. Someone in DOI knew if there was no horse trams there would be no reduction in tourist and they wouldn't be able to defend their little pet project by saying it's an 'essential' visitor attraction! 

With respect that takes no account of the engineering practicalities 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

It’s the same with all roadworks. Too many on the go at once. 

Surely it is a good thing the trams have been running. Had they cancelled them we wouldnt have discovered the surface was unsuitable until the job was complete. Now they are only going to have to dig up and redo a short portion of the track. 

Longworth has saved us a fortune! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

At least English has some experience in these matters, it is refreshing to have a civil engineer's opinion instead of all the experts who know sod all.   

I have a friend who in a well respected engineer. He isn't involved with the prom refurb scheme, but recently came to visit the island. 

He said it's "absolutely mental" that they've put the track down first. He said it is good form to sort out the utilities first, then proper foundations for the road then the track... he was a senior engineer on the Chunnel, HS2, and the Second City Crossing in Manchester. The latter involved making new tram tracks through a city centre that's even more complicated than Douglas prom. 

I'll take his view, rather than that of some armchair supporters who are probably employed by DOI anyway! 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I have a friend who in a well respected engineer. He isn't involved with the prom refurb scheme, but recently came to visit the island. 

He said it's "absolutely mental" that they've put the track down first. He said it is good form to sort out the utilities first, then proper foundations for the road then the track... he was a senior engineer on the Chunnel, HS2, and the Second City Crossing in Manchester. The latter involved making new tram tracks through a city centre that's even more complicated than Douglas prom. 

I'll take his view, rather than that of some armchair supporters who are probably employed by DOI anyway! 

i would echo your friends comments.

the problem lies with no ONE person in charge of the job,  you have subcontractors getting contradicting information and instructions.  it is going to end up one giant goat fuck of a tarmac patchwork quilt.  the  when it's 'finished'  bits will get dug up again to fix the underground fuck ups  they are painting over.   the days of a guy in charge that knows what they're doing and is responsible for everything are long gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1