Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
foxdaleliberationfront

DOI Says To Hell With Local Business

Mrs Andy's observation is: "only a man could have organised this crap, one thing goes wrong and the whole lot grinds to a halt. Men can't multi-task!"

As usual, she's right. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

the problem lies with no ONE person in charge of the job,  you have subcontractors getting contradicting information and instructions.  it is going to end up one giant goat fuck of a tarmac patchwork quilt.  the  when it's 'finished'  bits will get dug up again to fix the underground fuck ups  they are painting over.   the days of a guy in charge that knows what they're doing and is responsible for everything are long gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks as though they are getting ready to put down some more of the red concrete this time with steel reinforcement built into it. 

Posted (edited)

'they' do know how to build a proper road. look at the tt course.

everything else is fucked or a fuck up. that's the most annoying thing !

Edited by snowman
edited
  • Like 1

Just now, snowman said:

'they' do know how to build a proper road. look at the tt course.

everything else is fucked or a fuck up

Ah yes, the beloved TT course. Everything else is a mere inconvenience.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

What intrigues me is why DOI didn't plan to blitz one section at a time, ie from Jubilee clock to the Gaiety. Finish that first, then move on from the Gaiety to Broadway, Broadway to Empress Drive/Castle Mona etc etc.

Deal with all the problems in one area before moving on to the next.

It makes more sense to have one bit being prepared - old surface and substructure being dug up - and then getting the surface done while the prep work moves onto the next section

1 minute ago, kevster said:

It makes more sense to have one bit being prepared - old surface and substructure being dug up - and then getting the surface done while the prep work moves onto the next section

I understand what you're saying but in reality would it actually work that way? There are too any unknowns below the surface. That's not me saying that, it's the main man himself.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I understand what you're saying but in reality would it actually work that way? There are too any unknowns below the surface. That's not me saying that, it's the main man himself.

My impression is that he doesn't know what's going on above the surface either 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, NoTail said:

My impression is that he doesn't know what's going on above the surface either 

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment!

4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

If they don't know what's going on beneath the surface, how could they know it's going to cost £25M and take yay long?

Walked past there this morning, on Loch Promenade. Utter bombsite. And gonna be like that for a good while yet too. But they only seem to be scraping the surface off. Where's all these voids and washed out foundations?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I have a friend who in a well respected engineer. He isn't involved with the prom refurb scheme, but recently came to visit the island. 

He said it's "absolutely mental" that they've put the track down first. He said it is good form to sort out the utilities first, then proper foundations for the road then the track... he was a senior engineer on the Chunnel, HS2, and the Second City Crossing in Manchester. The latter involved making new tram tracks through a city centre that's even more complicated than Douglas prom. 

Well according to that interview with the Director of Highway Services, sorting out the utilities (and indeed putting more in) is indeed what they are doing first.  In fact he said they were effectively replacing all of the services, which seems a bit over the top.  Especially given that many of them will be very recently installed and should be both more than adequate for demand and very well mapped and known about.  And yet they seem fairly clueless about what is where - for example he quoted drainage at Broadway which was "a few feet shallower" than expected.  But that was presumably only put in at the time of the IRIS works and it should have been both done correctly and recorded in great detail. 

This isn't obscure Victorian works where the drawings were lost in a fire and only known about by Peter Kelly.  These are things done by the same Department - maybe even the same people - in recent memory.   One of the advantage of the Island is that there ought to be continuity and knowledge being passed on in the way it isn't in larger places.  And yet these mishaps are treated as if they were inexplicable acts of God that no one could possibly expect of be responsible for.  No one is responsible or blamed and nothing is done to prevent exactly the same things happening again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Rather amusingly there is a post by Isle of Man Transport on Facebook saying the nags aren't out today or tomorrow due to the roadworks. 

Why bother at all? Why not just get the work done before trying to play trains and trams?

Absolute waste of money and cause of disruption 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

This isn't obscure Victorian works where the drawings were lost in a fire and only known about by Peter Kelly.  These are things done by the same Department - maybe even the same people - in recent memory.   One of the advantage of the Island is that there ought to be continuity and knowledge being passed on in the way it isn't in larger places.

Interesting podcast from foensic engineer Sean Brady about this issue

https://bradyheywood.libsyn.com/episode-6-corporate-memory-loss-the-malahide-collapse

Episode 6 - Corporate Memory Loss: The Malahide Collapse
Oct 31, 2016

While the technical cause of failure of the Malahide Viaduct in Ireland was straight-forward, the human factor that collapsed the bridge was a relatively new phenomenon: corporate memory loss.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And Harmer wants is it 80 million for harbour scheme...Sadly no one is surprised by this mess on the prom. Many warned about time run over and budget increases.

Once DOI is in the equation its only going one way. Its far more than 9 weeks over as its been going 10 months already and how much is done ?? maybe 15% and then

we have the first area to be done again. And as for the bleating about unknowns  ,voids etc . It seems again its only the DOI experts who didn't forsee  the probability 

of issues arising underground. No..i'm on record as saying it will be upwards of 30 million and 3 years till completion . Lets see !!? 

footnote . re -doing faulty area cant be done till early November when horse tram season finishes !

Edited by Numbnuts

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

These are things done by the same Department - maybe even the same people - in recent memory.   

"Nah, that was the DOT, different department, doesn't exist anymore, don't have their records, even if we did we couldn't look at them anyway cos of GDPR n that, sorry mate, nothing to be done"

• Haha 1