Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

IoM is best place to live in the British Isles!

Didn't we have this survey last year, or was it the happiest place or something?

As ever the devil is in the details.  It says we're the best in the British Isles, but actually we're 12th overall out of 33.  It's just that we beat Ireland (14), Jersey (19), Guernsey (25) and the UK (27).  We don't seem to have been in these rankings before, though there have been similar ones produced by other people.

Obviously they're not going to headline it "The Isle of Man a bit worse than Vietnam, but slightly better than Poland".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As ever the devil is in the details.  It says we're the best in the British Isles, but actually we're 12th overall out of 33.  It's just that we beat Ireland (14), Jersey (19), Guernsey (25) and the UK (27).  We don't seem to have been in these rankings before, though there have been similar ones produced by other people.

Obviously they're not going to headline it "The Isle of Man a bit worse than Vietnam, but slightly better than Poland".

But the headline in that article is correct 

• Thanks 2

We have taken 13th from Indonesia which has dropped to 31st! Lets hope Snaefell doesn't turn out to be a volcano!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Those 2,000 online votes Skellys team registered really have worked out well for us. 

3 hours ago, kevster said:

But the headline in that article is correct 

Didn't say it wasn't - but then so is my alternative.;)

As always with these surveys you need to look at how it was conducted and who answered.  The methodology I have found is interesting:

The 2019 Expat Explorer survey is a global survey completed by 18,059 expats across the world. The research was conducted online by YouGov in March and April 2019. League tables are calculated using responses to 27 of the questions asked in the research. A minimum sample of 100 expat respondents including at least 30 expat parents is required for a country to be included in the league tables.

So it's a reputable pollster and a decent sample in total, but the individual sample for any one country can be quite small.  This may explain why the Island and the Channel Islands haven't been included before - there just weren't enough people replying from here and it could also explain some of the odder details and the variability in some of the polls.  A sample of 100 really isn't enough to guarantee anything like an accurate result.

And it's only 'the best place' for expats, not all the population.  In truth it may not make a lot of difference somewhere like here, but there may be a lot somewhere that is generally poorer.

The tool is interesting for what the survey doesn't say. There are filters at the top where you can select / deselect quality of life parameters (by default they are all selected). Remove the "Ambition" parameters and the IoM goes up the league table. Remove the "Little Expats" (children) parameters and we plummet down. So the summary is that the IoM is a good place for people who are willing to sacrifice career success in order to provide their kids with a safe upbringing - which actually sounds about right and is certainly what has been articulated by many stay-overs who would have been more successful elsewhere.

Actually it's not a bad message - "Escape the rat race and bring up your kids safely".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craggy_steve said:

The tool is interesting for what the survey doesn't say. There are filters at the top where you can select / deselect quality of life parameters (by default they are all selected). Remove the "Ambition" parameters and the IoM goes up the league table. Remove the "Little Expats" (children) parameters and we plummet down. So the summary is that the IoM is a good place for people who are willing to sacrifice career success in order to provide their kids with a safe upbringing - which actually sounds about right and is certainly what has been articulated by many stay-overs who would have been more successful elsewhere.

Actually it's not a bad message - "Escape the rat race and bring up your kids safely".

"Abandon your dreams and you'll be right." 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

So it's not "abandon hope all ye that enter" then?

1 hour ago, Declan said:

As I approach 50, are you seriously telling me that I can't be an astronaut, professional footballer, rock star, racing driver & steam train driver?

but I'll be alright? 

Declan, the Dream Shatterer.

:(

21 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

As I approach 50, are you seriously telling me that I can't be an astronaut, professional footballer, rock star, racing driver & steam train driver?

but I'll be alright? 

It was a positive message. The older I get I've learned happiness comes from enjoying what you are not what you might be. Cast off ambition and enjoy the moment. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

It was a positive message. The older I get I've learned happiness comes from enjoying what you are not what you might be. Cast off ambition and enjoy the moment. 

Yessir!, you're in tune with the Manx zeitgeist.

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

but I'll be alright? 

You can be anything you want to be. To assert otherwise would be ageist and that would never do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1