A wicked whisper has it that the corporation recycled bales of paper/plastic are recycled into heat at the energy from waste plant so saving on shipping as the price drop for this crap has fell well bellow economically braking even or making a profit. No doubt some Gov shiel  will be along to lambaste this unsubstantiated  rumor.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you go to suez.co.im, under the news section you can find the 2017 annual public report. This shows exactly what is processed, fuel oil (diesel) used, electricity generated, etc..    I en

£1000 per tonne is not ‘my’ figure.  All of the data on the current price of collected material is available from several very good independant websites. You can of course phone up buyers in the

Maybe you can share some of your "very good independant [sic] websites" .. The one I found is http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/plastic which seems quite comprehensive and lists things like mixed po

It's been going on for some time, it's not just DBC.

We either recycle or incinerate, for a population the size of Mann it doesn't and never has, made sense to do both.

Last I looked the emissions data from the incinerator have not been posted online for months.

And if the latest SUEZ report is correct the incinerator didn't generate any electricity from mid June to July 9th (approx).

The only good outcome (if there is one) is that we no longer have landfill.

ETA: I've not been able to find any minutes at all of the Richmond Hill Consultative Committee.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

I don’t know any details on what DBC are or are not doing, but they have a very good recycling set up and the commodity prices for the materials they collect are all either higher than ever or consistent (which can be found easily in less than a minute with your favourite search engine), so there is no logic to them paying to have it burned when it can be sold. 

The big DOI bins (civic amenity sites and most other locations) are collected by a private contractor. 

It is not in the interest of the contractor or central government to divert material from the incinerator as the incinerator contract is structured so that the government has to pay a financial penalty if a specified quantity of material is not received. I have a copy of the contract via FOI if anyone wants to see it. 

8 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

No it's not. Its costs more to ship them away and recycle them. Better financially and for the environment if it's incinerated 

I assume you’re just being trite. 

Anyone can look up the value of the materials and the transport costs, and confirm for themselves that for the majority of the high value material collected there is no logic paying to burn it. Unfortunately though we have an oversized EFW which government refuse to use logically as a power station they can fuel themselves - as they were advised to do by the  people they asked. 

Material prices for things like PET, HDPE & paper are stable or rising, have been for a long time, most are linked to oil / energy prices. 

22 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

No it's not. Its costs more to ship them away and recycle them. Better financially and for the environment if it's incinerated 

It defeats the object of recycling may as well just throw it all in the bin. But then recycling is after the problem has been created. The best thing for the environment is not to use plastics; more to be done with compostable waste (for instance paper is compostable); glass bottles to be reused rather than ground up; and for the incinerator to be used a lot less (low emissions is not no emissions). In other words fix the problem before it occurs not after.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1

I believe that recycling on the island is done more to make people believe that we are doing our bit. All those glass bottles are apparently crushed to go into cement to make it non slip but I'm not sure much else is actually used for anything?