Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Britain’s Best Little Prison

On 7/26/2019 at 9:40 PM, Non-Believer said:

This could have the makings of a better sitcom than "Porridge"....

When is the next series due to be filmed, ( just asking for a friend, who wants to get on the telly )?

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2019 at 5:18 PM, hissingsid said:

Credit where credits due folks....thanks to kippergate and Jurby gate the Isle of Man has had more publicity than it has had from tourist attraction boards or whatever they are calling themselves now for about forty years.   People are aware where we are and what we do, forget the fairy houses we will become international news, wait and see.    The next thing , Howard should send the Krankie a pound of queenies, vacuum packed and with the ice pillow of course, with a note demanding she keeps the thieving Scottish fishermen away from our patch.    Photographs would have to be taken of course of them being posted and copies sent to the Daily Wail.   There is no such thing as bad publicity.

I think the film company are thinking doing another couple of programs" The Best little Bus Company" next, and then the "Best little Promenade" , This film company could do for the island, what Bergerac did for Jersey.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Can't wait to see the Manx equivalent of Peter Vaughan's "Genial" Harry Grout!

Did peter vaughan ever live at Africa house ?

7 hours ago, wrighty said:

Let’s give it a chance. They seem to be promoting it as a nice prison which results in a low rate of recidivism. Isn’t that a good thing? I know people think that prison should be about bread and water and breaking rocks, and I somewhat agree, but for most offenders rehabilitation has to be part of it.  

"Recidivism" in prison, surley not ?

5 hours ago, joebean said:

The most likely outcome of this is a new DHA minister and Prison Governor as the Island begins to the task of regaining the credibility of the Prison and  prison staff. 

And lessons will have been learned ( again ) !!

• Haha 1

I have been watching something similar about the Yorkshire Airport, Leeds and Bradford, and found it ok.    If tonight's viewing is in the same strain no harm done.   It has not even been shown yet and all the critics are having a go.    The airport one was just showing what happens behind the scenes.

6 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Of course they're human beings Sid but in most cases they've failed to act like it. Rehabilitation is for the most part bollocks. 

Surely rehabilitation along with perhaps deterrent is what prisons are all about (or should be). Not vengeance like many people seem to believe. 

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Gruel, I have no objection to giving them gruel. Once a week.

I draw the line at the bread though...

22 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Surely rehabilitation along with perhaps deterrent is what prisons are all about (or should be). Not vengeance like many people seem to believe. 

What about the serial offenders who simply cannot be rehabilitated? Or those serious enough who need to be incarcerated in order to protect the public? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, manxst said:

What about the serial offenders who simply cannot be rehabilitated? Or those serious enough who need to be incarcerated in order to protect the public? 

Good point.  The serial offenders I would imagine keep coming back to prison,  the prison should and I guess does continue to try to rehabilitate them. As for the serious offenders who are a danger to the public,  I would imagine their sentence would reflect that, and again every thing possible should be done to rehabilitate them while they are there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I have been watching something similar about the Yorkshire Airport, Leeds and Bradford, and found it ok.    If tonight's viewing is in the same strain no harm done.   It has not even been shown yet and all the critics are having a go.    The airport one was just showing what happens behind the scenes.

If you look at the pic that the local rag has done from the press release a la trainspotting. There is certainly one prize scum bag, who in all honesty if he departed this earth he wouldn’t be missed. I am sorry if this offends people but some individuals have committed heinous crimes, and pretend they are hard men when in reality are cowards and bullies. 

Incidentally the Prison Governor claims that some scenes made him wince. I bet! I found it distasteful and nauseating that he wrote letters to the victims of crime forewarning that the perpetrator of offences were being featured. I doubt he thought was distasteful, after all he is Malarkey’s Stooge, and Malarkey’s department needs the money. No doubt Skelly reminded him that the island needs all the publicity it can get, and a bit of publicity of convicts doing jobs, will be music to the ears of the Starship Enterprise who be hoping for some orders. Perhaps the post office needs mailbags sewing? Or the Sefton needs plastic cups placed in polythene bags and sealed?

Im sure they will get the plug in each week for the islands beauty, TT races, food and biosphere!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=49968&headline=Prisoners 'won't be painted as heroes' on TV show&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Edited by 2112
  • Sad 1

How long till the first mention of the TT. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

How long till the first mention of the TT. 

Within the first minute.

Im wondering if the words ‘tax haven’ will be mentioned?

ill be surprised if the Starship Enterprise, Skelly and Rob Callister haven’t had a hand in this little production. 

• Sad 1