Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Britain’s Best Little Prison

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Within the first minute.

Im wondering if the words ‘tax haven’ will be mentioned?

ill be surprised if the Starship Enterprise, Skelly and Rob Callister haven’t had a hand in this little production. 

Look for the production credits at the end of the programme. See if it says, Copyright 2019 IOM Government Department for Enterprise. Like it does for the TT. :lol:

9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

ill be surprised if the Starship Enterprise, Skelly and Rob Callister haven’t had a hand in this little production. 

I'm sure they'll have had absolutely nothing to do with it.  The fact that it is taking place at all argues against that.  If the Sparshop was involved they'll have still been having lots of Terribly Important Meetings[1] about it and nothing would have happened.  That won't stop them claiming all the credit mind and giving each other more money on the basis of it all being 'worth' £ x zillion in terms of publicity.

[1]  Obviously they wouldn't be called anything as boring as 'meetings' - it'll be 'thoughtclusters' or 'synergymelds' or whatever.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Look for the production credits at the end of the programme. See if it says, Copyright 2019 IOM Government Department for Enterprise. Like it does for the TT. :lol:

You have a point. However, Inwould like to know how much have DHA/Treasury received for access and filming rights. 

Seeing as Mental Health and Drugs have caused a lot of the problems, perhaps it would be nice if the island got a benefit out of this - a new unit dealing with Mentsl Health and drugs out of the proceeds, with any additional amounts coming from the additional VAT revenue that the Treasury will get, as a result of rolling over backwards and complying with the Beneficial Ownership Register.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Manx Radio: Prison writes to victims ahead of TV show airing

Listen to the rather smug Governor:

"We take victim issues very seriously.........we have sent letters out to those who might see someone........all we can do is what is reasonably practicable....at the end of the day if they want to switch on the television that is a matter for them"

Hey pal, how about doing something else that is reasonable practicable: Don't let a documentary be made about the Isle of Man Prison in the first place.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Obviously they wouldn't be called anything as boring as 'meetings' - it'll be 'thoughtclusters' or 'synergymelds' or whatever.

It'll make a change from Blame Storming followed by Skeleton Closeting....

Expect this place to go quiet in about 35 minutes.

• Like 2

I'll be giving this series a miss. In the normal distribution it will be one highly intelligent outlier and everyone else under the 20% region taking part.

This series will make us look a like bunch of idiots. Big mistake.

27 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: Prison writes to victims ahead of TV show airing

Listen to the rather smug Governor:

"We take victim issues very seriously.........we have sent letters out to those who might see someone........all we can do is what is reasonably practicable....at the end of the day if they want to switch on the television that is a matter for them"

Hey pal, how about doing something else that is reasonable practicable: Don't let a documentary be made about the Isle of Man Prison in the first place.

On the surface you would be correct in your POV. I feel that he didn’t have a choice in the matter. I feel that Malarkey and others had a major say in this. I would like one of the Politicos to ask questions and freedom of information requests - how much was paid by the TV Production company for access? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone know if they rent the dungeons out for the evening? For, let's say, some nefarious leather events

I was just asking for a friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Declan said:

How long till the first mention of the TT. 

About a minute. 

43 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This series will make us look a like bunch of idiots. Big mistake.

To be honest no one expects prisoners to be clever or wise - they wouldn't be there if they were.  Just be grateful it isn't the Best Little Parliament in Britain.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.judgments.im/content/J2579.htm

Key extract:

You decided to plead not guilty and blame the offence on somebody entirely different in order, I suspect, to cloud the view of the jury with respect to who was the primary perpetrator. They clearly saw through that and were satisfied so that they are sure that you are the person guilty of the offence. It was an unprovoked violent episode against a man who was seated on a sofa and who was not undertaking any kind of action by way of either provocation or anything else that would warrant any kind of assault taking place. Your account was foolhardy in my assessment, your defence again, in my assessment, was a smokescreen and no more.

Your previous convictions regrettably read abysmally. You were first convicted in 1990 before the Youth Court in Douglas for an offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, ABH. You were then convicted of other matters but another wounding with intent, this time an offence in 1996, for which you received three years imprisonment. And I note that the Crown Court at Manchester made an Order that a baseball bat and bricks be forfeited. I can only assume from that that those were the weapons used in the commission of that offence. Next violent offence, 2009, ABH for which you received 30 months imprisonment consecutive to a term which had already been imposed. There are further offences taking place, public order offences, criminal damage, etc., breaches of Court Orders as well. Failing to surrender to the custody of the Court, possession of drugs and then in 2007 you are convicted again for GBH, this time receiving a custodial term of 15 months. Further offending took place, you're quite a regular attender before these Courts. An offence from July 2009, assaulting a Police Constable, for which you received six months imprisonment. An offence in December 2009, ABH, for which you received 22 months imprisonment. Further offending taking place continuously effectively. An offence of assaulting a Police Constable from July 2013, for which you were sentenced the following month, six months imprisonment. An offence for which you were sentenced in May 2014, GBH, for which you received two years two months, with an extended sentence of two years as well. That must have been a grave offence for the Judge to have assessed you as someone who was dangerous and who was liable to commit further violent offences. That Judge was clearly right in the assessment made because, during the term of the unexpired period of your sentence on that occasion, the sentence expiry date being the 16th of June 2018, licence expiring on the 1st of November 2017, you committed this offence.

• Thanks 1

Well it was all I expected and an embarassment. To go back to a previous point I'm surprised the Prison Governor didn't have final sign off on this. If he was over-ruled then I'd want to know who by ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I thought it was great, the shots of the Isle of Man were fantastic and it showed off a humanitarian way of treating prisoners, no one looked stupid the wardens were friendly but firm.   Congratulations to all concerned cannot wait until next week.   The publicity the Island got with all those great shots of different parts of the Island was priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1