Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Britain’s Best Little Prison

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

About ten seconds in!

That’s all the IOM was associated with TT and Taxation. And they (Politicos) whinge when anyone says Tax Haven. Sadly no the islands finest hour ....... or rather half hour.

1 minute ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

What an absolute fucking farce the Jurby Hilton is! How much tax do we actually spunk away funding those twats and then luxurious lifestyle up there?

I would also say the same about Tynpotwald - after all Malarkey, the Hot Tub Man is in charge of the Prison, I wouldn’t leave him in charge of the Mayors Chsin!

• Like 1

The reaction from UK social media appears to revolve around the lax discipline and holiday camp atmosphere, whether or not the whole thing is a spoof along the lines of The Office and general disgust at THEIR taxes being wasted on such a pussycat regime.

28 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

What an absolute fucking farce the Jurby Hilton is! How much tax do we actually spunk away funding those twats and then luxurious lifestyle up there?

Those prison guards are taking the piss big time, drop it to one with a shotgun.

Facebook has given all the ex-cons some status and bragging rights over everyone else just now. It's Facebook at it's most Jeremy Kyle.

• Like 2

It was very obvious that the inmates thought it was Butlitz-on-Sea.

Plus the background music and sunny vistas were clearly designed to promote this pitch.

The prison population stats indigenous vs foreigners would have helped put things in perspective.

Because I'm assuming that the low recidivism rates were helped by the on release don't bother coming back policy.

So it would be a nice to know....

Presently surprised at the first episode, not as cringe worthy as I thought. If you don't like it there's a boat in the morning

Edited by victorian dad

Imagine the 1000s of families having watched that, who pay over £1000 per week for residential care for their parents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

49 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Imagine the 1000s of families having watched that, who pay over £1000 per week for residential care for their parents.

+110%

There's something perverse about IOMG. I wonder how much lower they're prepared to sink to whilst the rest of us have to deal with reality?

Whoever you are (that authorised this), you need to fess up and explain why you thought this was such a good idea. If the Prison is actually run on the lines portrayed in the program then I think you should expect a backlash.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Augustus said:

https://www.judgments.im/content/J2579.htm

Key extract:

You decided to plead not guilty and blame the offence on somebody entirely different in order, I suspect, to cloud the view of the jury with respect to who was the primary perpetrator. They clearly saw through that and were satisfied so that they are sure that you are the person guilty of the offence. It was an unprovoked violent episode against a man who was seated on a sofa and who was not undertaking any kind of action by way of either provocation or anything else that would warrant any kind of assault taking place. Your account was foolhardy in my assessment, your defence again, in my assessment, was a smokescreen and no more.

Your previous convictions regrettably read abysmally. You were first convicted in 1990 before the Youth Court in Douglas for an offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, ABH. You were then convicted of other matters but another wounding with intent, this time an offence in 1996, for which you received three years imprisonment. And I note that the Crown Court at Manchester made an Order that a baseball bat and bricks be forfeited. I can only assume from that that those were the weapons used in the commission of that offence. Next violent offence, 2009, ABH for which you received 30 months imprisonment consecutive to a term which had already been imposed. There are further offences taking place, public order offences, criminal damage, etc., breaches of Court Orders as well. Failing to surrender to the custody of the Court, possession of drugs and then in 2007 you are convicted again for GBH, this time receiving a custodial term of 15 months. Further offending took place, you're quite a regular attender before these Courts. An offence from July 2009, assaulting a Police Constable, for which you received six months imprisonment. An offence in December 2009, ABH, for which you received 22 months imprisonment. Further offending taking place continuously effectively. An offence of assaulting a Police Constable from July 2013, for which you were sentenced the following month, six months imprisonment. An offence for which you were sentenced in May 2014, GBH, for which you received two years two months, with an extended sentence of two years as well. That must have been a grave offence for the Judge to have assessed you as someone who was dangerous and who was liable to commit further violent offences. That Judge was clearly right in the assessment made because, during the term of the unexpired period of your sentence on that occasion, the sentence expiry date being the 16th of June 2018, licence expiring on the 1st of November 2017, you committed this offence.

Why the hell did they let this little piece of shit out, time-after-time?

• Like 3

The troubling lack of detail as to the seriousness and the reality of the crimes that these people are banged up for is a problem. The actual crimes (including knife crime for the girlfriend in there) were almost glossed over in the haste to make entertainment out of the inmate lifestyle.

• Like 7

On 7/31/2019 at 3:42 AM, Andy Onchan said:

Can't wait to see the Manx equivalent of Peter Vaughan's "Genial" Harry Grout!

was there even a manx accent in there ??   it sounded like radio wirral 

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm sure even 'Genial' Harry Grout would've gone straight after watching that. His south-facing cell, with curtains, full en-suite, fresh cut flowers, T.V. and cocktail bar, was spartan living by comparison. That half hour would've been a game changer for 'Arry and he'd have wanted out :)  

43 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Why the hell did they let this little piece of shit out, time-after-time?

He’s just a gentle loveable rogue is ‘Goldie’. Said no one ever. Hope he comes to wash MY windows when he gets out next time. Or maybe not...

Bet his ‘thug life’ belly tattoo would go down well on Barry’s manor, mind! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

+110%

There's something perverse about IOMG. I wonder how much lower they're prepared to sink to whilst the rest of us have to deal with reality?

Whoever you are (that authorised this), you need to fess up and explain why you thought this was such a good idea. If the Prison is actually run on the lines portrayed in the program then I think you should expect a backlash.

They are prepared to stoop lower and lower as the administration is headed by HRH The Chief Minister - Toad of Toad Hall - ‘I don’t need the money’, aided by his toadying reptilian Canann, Skelly, Harmer, Boot and Malarkey the reject Beatle. Totally devoid of morals, ideals and scruples. All they are interested in is advertising the island at any cost, irrespective of the negative reputation. I wonder if any rules were broken for the aerial shots over and around the Prison?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-46445418

• Like 1