Britain’s Best Little Prison

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

There was one guy selling stolen goods in his shop or something similar. Not sure of the exact details right now.

The best was an MHK done for assault. A Douglas councillor had been too familiar with his wife so he give him a (well deserved?) thumping. In court the judge said it was no way for an MHK to act - he replied that his constituents were right behind him. They were indeed and he walked in at the next election unopposed, and topped the poll at the one after that.

And someone tried to accuse Roger Watterson (then MHK) of something but it wasn't reported in the newspapers because the newspapers were the other side.

It was very well covered by the papers back then. I went to the Manx museum about 15 years ago and read them on micro film...Michael Moyle prosecuted...I assume this is the same case you refer to and not some other. Deemster Eason presided. The case I read involved fraud and a motor bike transaction and there was a sentence but was successfully appealed against something like the Deemster's misdirection of the jury. The appeal is in Manx law reports I think 1973 Watterson v R..

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, woolley said:

You must be terribly bored nowadays, Bazza. Why on Earth did you leave?  You'd have been in line for Manx Supplement too!

I am very busy creating historical work for Essex Record Office and my memoirs of the Baltic Exchange in the good old days of face to face trading on the floor pre-computer...In the past ten days three of my former compadres have died...My memoirs are for the London Metropolitan Archives....Corporation of London...

I left because I was offered a housing association retirement flat in a leafy area off Arbour lane, Springfield, Chelmsford...Where the family is...Peverell House look it up. Bit institutionalised but better than the doss 'ouse in Murray's road I was living in...

I get better than Pension supplement 200 sovs a week every Monday, pension credit, savings credit and guarantee credit, rent paid, council tax paid, free leccy from E.on and all I pay is 15 sovs a week for a flat close to city centre, good bus routes, stops close by. I totted it up once is worth about £450 a week and you would not get that on IOM...I just jumped on the boat and came running when they told me about it...That was April 2008...Old and poor on IOM is no fun...Dear old Blighty much better...

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

The prison population stats indigenous vs foreigners would have helped put things in perspective.

Because I'm assuming that the low recidivism rates were helped by the on release don't bother coming back policy.

So it would be a nice to know....

That argument doesn't really work when you consider how often you see complaints on here that people can't be deported because they have some link to the Island.  Even if they have a Funny Foreign Name!

But looking for evidence, I found a Tynwald Answer from March 2015, covering that year and the three previous one.  That shows the percentages of where prisoners were born pretty much matched that for the population as a whole[1].  Hall's question actually asked about residence rather than birth, but they might not have the data to work from on that[2].  So there's no evidence that 'foreigners' (ie non-Manx) are committing more crimes or being imprisoned for them. 

I've also found a more recent FoI request that gives a similar result (Case ID 415636):

The population the morning of December 11th [2017] was 103
1. Convicted prisoners = 91, Remand = 12
2. Born in UK = 38
3. Born in IOM = 54
4. Born elsewhere = 11

Of course on discharge some will go elsewhere even if there is no formal deportation or banning[3], either because there roots are there or to start anew.  But equally some Manx criminals convicted elsewhere may return.

That said I actually found it difficult to establish what reoffending rates on the Island were and how they compare with elsewhere.  The last independent review of the jail in 2011, was worried about the lack of strategies to tackle reoffending and that clearly has been addressed since, but I couldn't find any figures. 

[1]  The general population figures don't quite match those in the 2011 Census and may be for those aged 18+, who are more likely to be born off-Island.   Of course the percentages for prisoners will only be based on a 'sample' of around a 100, so you would expect them to vary quite a bit from year to year and indeed over the year.

[2]  At best they might have last address, but no indication of how long they were there for or if they had enough links to the Island to count as residency.  It's a rather fuzzy concept at best and you could only say that someone had or had not received a deportation order as part of their sentence.  But even then some without that might leave anyway.

[3]  From various court cases I get the impression that banning actually happens more with non-custodial sentences anyway.  Also if prisoners are being released on licence (as most are) then they may be obliged to remain on the Island to be supervised.  I think supervision can be passed over to the UK authorities, but given the mess that probation services are in in England, this may be difficult.

6 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I left because I was offered a housing association retirement flat in a leafy area off Arbour lane, Springfield, Chelmsford...Where the family is...Peverell House look it up. Bit institutionalised but better than the doss 'ouse in Murray's road I was living in...

I used to work in the Springfield Area, Dukes Park and also Robjohns Road for Lex Mead Barry. Long gone as they sold all of their retail motor interests. They were the largest motor dealer in Britain and had made inroads into the USA and far East, on top of all of their electrical manufacturing, leasing, trucking businesses throughout the world.   

26 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Anyone who winds up in the Jubry Hilton should automatically be banned from claiming benefits of any kind for 5 years. We do it for newcomers to the island who actually contribute to society, so why can't we cut off some of the local born shithouses?

A lad I knew came out of Jurby for a drugs related matter, on leaving got a cheque for £1800 back payments in social or whatever, blew the lot on a new suit and a slap-up meal for the family and another stash of H.

He's dead now.

28 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Anyone who winds up in the Jubry Hilton should automatically be banned from claiming benefits of any kind for 5 years. We do it for newcomers to the island who actually contribute to society, so why can't we cut off some of the local born shithouses?

Yeah that'll stop 'em going on the rob when they get out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I used to work in the Springfield Area, Dukes Park and also Robjohns Road for Lex Mead Barry. Long gone as they sold all of their retail motor interests. They were the largest motor dealer in Britain and had made inroads into the USA and far East, on top of all of their electrical manufacturing, leasing, trucking businesses throughout the world.   

Then you will have tasted the joys of civilisation like the ancient Briton transported to Rome there to wonder...Chelmsford. Gateway to the Orient (Leyton that is!)

• Haha 2
44 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Human Rights Act ring any bells?...A lawful sentence is served and a further punishment is no Benefits so has to leave IOM and claim in the UK (Which you can do by the way)...Already the learned friends in Athol Street are drooling and licking their chops...Interesting case. Nice little earner methinks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

It was very well covered by the papers back then. I went to the Manx museum about 15 years ago and read them on micro film...Michael Moyle prosecuted...I assume this is the same case you refer to and not some other. Deemster Eason presided. The case I read involved fraud and a motor bike transaction and there was a sentence but was successfully appealed against something like the Deemster's misdirection of the jury. The appeal is in Manx law reports I think 1973 Watterson v R..

A former MHK was jailed in 1973 for receiving goods knowing them to have been stolen.

24 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Then you will have tasted the joys of civilisation like the ancient Briton transported to Rome there to wonder...Chelmsford. Gateway to the Orient (Leyton that is!)

Civilisation yes, but Chelmsford was a bit run down in the late 80's and 90's. The A12 bypass had only just relieved the London to East Coast traffic from the centre and it was still awaiting something to happen.