Jump to content

Britain’s Best Little Prison


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Getting accused of being Skelly on here, on the prom post been accused of being Harmer by Foxy...ffs stop I will be getting a personality complex.

That you Howard?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Getting accused of being Skelly on here, on the prom post been accused of being Harmer by Foxy...ffs stop I will be getting a personality complex.

wouldn't you need a personality to start with?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quayle is proud of our “progressive” prison according to his waffle on Manx Radio. I don’t suppose he could say much else. I wonder if he has any understanding of what a “progressive” prison actually is; what the IOM Prison reconviction rates actually are or what the people of the Island really think? Does he have any idea how many Isle if Man residents are proud of their Prison. Or is it only his opinion that matters?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask Howard, he says re-offending is low. Manx Radio - click the link. It's a poor audio but it does rather sound as if Howard is turning into Bill Malarkey :huh:

Having watched the programme, I feel there is something ironic, on a number of levels, that a prisoner can nip down the gym for an hour to forget they are in prison.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard's talking out of the wrong hole again. There's nothing progressive about running a holiday camp style regime. A real progressive system would provide optional opportunities in tandem with a basic, no frills prison experience which was tough but fair. Positive authority is what creates the atmosphere and environment for real rehabilitation and change; a change that comes from the experience of prison itself and which is self-actualised. It's not about creating a playground, it's about changing people's lives - for the better. The rehabilitation is in the whole experience, not in some progressive ideology which turns prison into Butlins behind bars. Jurby is doing no one any favours - neither the inmates or the taxpayers. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes one wonder what support is available for those exiting prison, accommodation, job finding etc. Given the number of repeat offenders it might be very little - or going straight back in as quickly as possible is the easy option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

It is a soft nick on a soft easy going island where crime is negligible compared to elsewhere if you had a hard nick your crime would be that much more serious. Try the nick down on my manor. 

Build it and they will come? ☺

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this Prison Mockumentally is going to feature those people who are arrested for non payment of fines, and are then made to serve a custodial sentence, which in reality costs more than the fine - therefore teaching the offender nothing. If the offender is fined, a fixed amount should be deducted from their benefits or attachment of earnings made. If the offender has any assets - car, mobile and reasonable tech, surely it could be sold at Coroners Auction to recoup costs/fines, like the old days. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Makes one wonder what support is available for those exiting prison, accommodation, job finding etc. Given the number of repeat offenders it might be very little - or going straight back in as quickly as possible is the easy option?

Housing Matters. However, some inmates are notorious and beyond help and redemption. Can a landlord seriously be expected to house a convicted arsonist or anyone with a record for setting things alight? Can a landlord be expected to house kiddie fiddlers? 

As with most things on this island, Chris Thomas’s beloved GDPR rules have put paid to normal intelligent and common sense approach to sharing information. - we can’t tell that information under data protection rules!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the family of Gwen Valentine think of Billy, Bob and Howard's Way approach to criminals? And on his return that guy ended up assaulting prison officers

But it's ok, he wasn't part of the documentary and Bob has probably sent the family a letter, and has said in any case, it is a person's choice whether they switch on the TV or not. How crass and insensitive.

 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

But virtually all of those featured are repeat offenders. In fact they’re more than repeat offenders one or two are pretty nasty career criminals so what does that say about our success at rehabilitation? 

That's the paradox they're going to have.  Most first time offenders and those hoping to reform themselves are are not going to want to appear on camera and have a record of their past offending on YouTube forever.  So you're left with the 'old lags', who simply don't care and rather like the attention.  And because they are 'characters', the programme makers want those as well. 

Almost by definition those who appear on television are untypical.  To see how successful the prison is we really need to look at the numbers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Howard's talking out of the wrong hole again. There's nothing progressive about running a holiday camp style regime. A real progressive system would provide optional opportunities in tandem with a basic, no frills prison experience which was tough but fair. Positive authority is what creates the atmosphere and environment for real rehabilitation and change; a change that comes from the experience of prison itself and which is self-actualised. It's not about creating a playground, it's about changing people's lives - for the better. The rehabilitation is in the whole experience, not in some progressive ideology which turns prison into Butlins behind bars. Jurby is doing no one any favours - neither the inmates or the taxpayers. 

I could not agree more.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I wonder what the family of Gwen Valentine think of Billy, Bob and Howard's Way approach to criminals? And on his return that guy ended up assaulting prison officers

But it's ok, he wasn't part of the documentary and Bob has probably sent the family a letter, and has said in any case, it is a person's choice whether they switch on the TV or not. How crass and insensitive.

 

I wonder how long it took Uncle 'Bob' to realise that the program was not really about re-offending & rehabilitation rates etc (my arse!) but more about it's entertainment value? 

I actually can't believe that someone with so much so-called experience in the prison and probation service agreed to take part. I wonder what his former colleagues in UK make of all this?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...