Britain’s Best Little Prison

2 hours ago, joebean said:

Quayle is proud of our “progressive” prison according to his waffle on Manx Radio. I don’t suppose he could say much else. I wonder if he has any understanding of what a “progressive” prison actually is; what the IOM Prison reconviction rates actually are or what the people of the Island really think? Does he have any idea how many Isle if Man residents are proud of their Prison. Or is it only his opinion that matters?

And it's clear that HRH The Chief Minister hasn't seen any of the episodes prior to airing as his final sentence in the piece concludes with "let's see what the other 5 episodes are like before coming to a conclusion".

Deary me. Who, exactly, is running this Island?

If we had an asylum I'd warrant that he was one of the escapees running the place.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder how long it took Uncle 'Bob' to realise that the program was not really about re-offending & rehabilitation rates etc (my arse!) but more about it's entertainment value? 

I actually can't believe that someone with so much so-called experience in the prison and probation service agreed to take part. I wonder what his former colleagues in UK make of all this?

Did the proposed scheduling of the said program not ring any alarm bells. It’s on ITV1 Prime Time which airs programming between 7-10. It’s not exactly Panarama! Though I’m sure HRH The Chief Minister could do with another televised tax avoidance investigation. I’m sure someone will stand on Athol Street pointing out various institutions.

This programming being shown prime time will have an element of reality show, and comedic value - whilst trying to show serious solemnity at some point.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I wonder if this Prison Mockumentally is going to feature those people who are arrested for non payment of fines, and are then made to serve a custodial sentence, which in reality costs more than the fine - therefore teaching the offender nothing. If the offender is fined, a fixed amount should be deducted from their benefits or attachment of earnings made. If the offender has any assets - car, mobile and reasonable tech, surely it could be sold at Coroners Auction to recoup costs/fines, like the old days. 

Then there is the Human Rights Act

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Did the proposed scheduling of the said program not ring any alarm bells. It’s on ITV1 Prime Time which airs programming between 7-10. It’s not exactly Panarama! Though I’m sure HRH The Chief Minister could do with another televised tax avoidance investigation. I’m sure someone will stand on Athol Street pointing out various institutions.

This programming being shown prime time will have an element of reality show, and comedic value - whilst trying to show serious solemnity at some point.

Well, if the Governor wasn't aware of it, then who was?

• Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Well, if the Governor wasn't aware of it, then who was?

Fcuk knows!

Each one of our various Politicos have their heads up their own arses. Unable to detach fact from fiction. Unable to disseminate Truth from Lie. All they are thinking of is viewing figures, and PRIMETIME. I can foresee Rob Callister persuading the Governor of the Prison, to do guided tours for the cruise line visitors. Why stop there, tourists could have photos taken in a cell, and have their picture taken with GOLDIE and Lorraine! 

The island and it’s administration has no scruples, after all, think of the money. I’m sure they charge a minimum of £45 for a morning tour.

Ok, after another 5 episodes of ridicule, embarrassment and trivialization of crime and criminal behavior on the Island and the loss of public confidence in the criminal justice system, can we draw our conclusions and demand that action is taken to remove those responsible? Or will Quayle draw a different conclusion than the rest of us?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
59 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder how long it took Uncle 'Bob' to realise that the program was not really about re-offending & rehabilitation rates etc (my arse!) but more about it's entertainment value? 

I actually can't believe that someone with so much so-called experience in the prison and probation service agreed to take part. I wonder what his former colleagues in UK make of all this?

40 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It's on prime time ITV. The broadcasting equivalent of the Sun. It was never going to be Open University.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Howard's talking out of the wrong hole again. There's nothing progressive about running a holiday camp style regime. A real progressive system would provide optional opportunities in tandem with a basic, no frills prison experience which was tough but fair. Positive authority is what creates the atmosphere and environment for real rehabilitation and change; a change that comes from the experience of prison itself and which is self-actualised. It's not about creating a playground, it's about changing people's lives - for the better. The rehabilitation is in the whole experience, not in some progressive ideology which turns prison into Butlins behind bars. Jurby is doing no one any favours - neither the inmates or the taxpayers. 

But you're not really considering that in any 'tough but fair' regime you need carrots as well as sticks.  The trouble is that the sticks tend to be withdrawal of privileges and so on, and it's rather difficult and very boring to film things not happening.  I suspect the prison authorities would say that they were trying to do exactly what you suggest.

Two things that were mentioned in passing in the programme that are done on the Island strike me as very useful.  The first is that sentence remission and release on licence are not automatic.  In England you automatically only serve half you sentence unless you've behaved really badly when inside, here it has to earned and they assess when you should be released.  The second, which is linked, is that prison and probation are run by the same people, so there is some continuity moving between the two.

• Like 1

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece speaks 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/public-reacts-to-prison-documentary/

Not very favourable. 

5 more episodes to go, me wonders whether HRH The Chief Minister is praying to God that the other 5 programmes don’t make the Isle of Man Prison Regime a complete laughing stock. I have the distinct impression that someone or something, will embarrass the island. 

Howard is in this case one hundred per cent correct, wait until the whole series is aired before you judge it.    I would rather this prison than the shameful hell holes in the U.K. where violence is norm and young offenders get educated in crime whilst being in them.   Prison itself is enough of a punishment without being treated like some sort of animal.   If you have ever been to Butlins you would be aware that you do not get locked up in a small room for hours on end and you are allowed to leave the camp if you want to.    The views of the Island scenery are superb and out tourist section would be hard pressed to find the money to fund this.   We were stigmatised for years for birthing kids it is nice to be noticed for being humane for a change. Some people have no human decency at all.

Speak for yourself Joe, I have spoken to a lot of people who agree that the way to go forward is to treat people decently, they are being punished by being locked up.Do not include a lot of decent people in...the rest of us..because believe me we do not agree with you one bit.

8 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Speak for yourself Joe, I have spoken to a lot of people who agree that the way to go forward is to treat people decently, they are being punished by being locked up.Do not include a lot of decent people in...the rest of us..because believe me we do not agree with you one bit.

Explain that to the victims.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've known many that have been in and out of prison over very many years. From a young age, through school and the teenage years they had plentiful opportunities to sort themselves out and straighten up. Apologies and excuses were made for them, hands were wrung, meetings held, 'experts' involved, money spent, and all to no avail. Lads I knew at school made a career out of petty crime, violence and anti-social behaviour. It was their choice and what they wanted. That's the way it is and no amount of pussyfooting around the reality and soft-headed idealism will change it. If only it did, we'd have done it a long time ago. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Howard is in this case one hundred per cent correct, wait until the whole series is aired before you judge it.  

he just wants a months thinking time so someone intelligent can tell him what to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1