Britain’s Best Little Prison

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

Some simple questions need to be asked such as who sanctioned this and why?

Maybe to show off to the rest of the world what a wonderful prison system we have? (!?) If, and it's a big if, it is such a wonderful system, why is there a need to put it on display and tell everyone about it? 

Just why.

Something that strikes me, is all politicians by their very nature and definition seek publicity and more people to admire them.  Tynwald certainly helps to feed their ever increasing egos. The Isle of Man has a ceiling as far as that is concerned. Maybe our Home Secretary (for that is what he is) has found a way to break through that ceiling.

I am sure there will be interviews to come of Bill and indeed Howard too.

• Sad 1

Actually I know this approach works, not for all but for some .   A couple of years ago a friend of  mine, single parent, was devastated when his son who was doing well at school, behaved well at home started to act strangely, staying out, looking spaced out, always in bed.....drugs.   It went on and on, bad to worse, nothing that he could say or do made any diffence.   In the end he was imprisoned possession and minor dealing.   My friend was absolutely distraught.   The first time he visited his son was a bit shell shocked and it was all yes and no, no conversation.   However after a few weeks he brightened up and was going on about the gym which he used as much as he could and started asking about how his dad was etc.. A few weeks before his release he wasted if his dad would ask around to see if anyone would give him a job, he was lucky got taken on for a trial two weeks by an understanding man.   At his release he was healthy , was fit and had changed his attitude to life.   Now still in the same job but with more responsibility he has got his own flat, has a steady relationship and is getting on with his life.   I know this may be an isolated case but if it works for just a quarter of the prisoners surely it is worth it.   Another thing, those guards were friendly and supportive but I bet if anyone turned nasty I bet they would sort them out, did you see the muscles on the wing guard.   Let us wait and see what the next 5 episodes are like.

23 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Actually I know this approach works, not for all but for some .   A couple of years ago a friend of  mine, single parent, was devastated when his son who was doing well at school, behaved well at home started to act strangely, staying out, looking spaced out, always in bed.....drugs.   It went on and on, bad to worse, nothing that he could say or do made any diffence.   In the end he was imprisoned possession and minor dealing.   My friend was absolutely distraught.   The first time he visited his son was a bit shell shocked and it was all yes and no, no conversation.   However after a few weeks he brightened up and was going on about the gym which he used as much as he could and started asking about how his dad was etc.. A few weeks before his release he wasted if his dad would ask around to see if anyone would give him a job, he was lucky got taken on for a trial two weeks by an understanding man.   At his release he was healthy , was fit and had changed his attitude to life.   Now still in the same job but with more responsibility he has got his own flat, has a steady relationship and is getting on with his life.   I know this may be an isolated case but if it works for just a quarter of the prisoners surely it is worth it.   Another thing, those guards were friendly and supportive but I bet if anyone turned nasty I bet they would sort them out, did you see the muscles on the wing guard.   Let us wait and see what the next 5 episodes are like.

An opinion based one experience of one first time custody case. That’s very naive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I can see Goldie and Lorraine getting a spin-off series from this. They're already social media sensations and the sky's the limit when the production companies come calling with the cheque book. Their names are perfect for programmers trying to sell telly advertising.

Well there's certainly a lot of dodgy people who have rode to fame and fortune on the back of accidental TV appearances: the Essex lot; the Chelsea lot; the Operations Director of IOM Airport; Boris Johnson.  But a quick google finds references mainly to the rapper Goldie, Lorraine Kelly and people called Lorraine Goldie.  So they haven't gone 'viral' yet and I'm not sure that the series will feature the same people every episode anyway.

The programme actually got 3.6 million viewers[1], which is about normal for that slot (as usual the second one will be the interesting one to see if there's any drop-off or build).  There doesn't seem to have been much reaction that I can see, despite the usual attempts to whip up indignation.

[1]  That will just be the 'overnight' and presumably doesn't cover those who watch on catch-up services etc.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Some simple questions need to be asked such as who sanctioned this and why?

Maybe to show off to the rest of the world what a wonderful prison system we have? (!?) If, and it's a big if, it is such a wonderful system, why is there a need to put it on display and tell everyone about it? 

Just why.

Something that strikes me, is all politicians by their very nature and definition seek publicity and more people to admire them.  Tynwald certainly helps to feed their ever increasing egos. The Isle of Man has a ceiling as far as that is concerned. Maybe our Home Secretary (for that is what he is) has found a way to break through that ceiling.

I am sure there will be interviews to come of Bill and indeed Howard too.

Tbh whoever sanctioned it may have been whistleblowing. Showing up what your tax dollars go to. Whoever did it has done us all a service. 

• Sad 2

So Chief Minister Howard Quayle and Home Affairs Minister Malarkey are big boys on the lil' ol' Isle of Man but when they go to Westminster - as Howard often does of course - they must be getting sick of people saying "Oh the Isle of Man, that's where they have the motorbike races/have kippers", whereas now the Isle of Man is really on the map. Prime time TV too.

They are that desperate to have their egos puffed up they will have got right behind this.

What other reason is there?

• Sad 1

I didnt think it too bad, it showed the inmates as the mugs they really are, I liked the statement from the Governor something like " Being sent to prison is the punishment , we  [the regime] are not here to punish further"

The link scenes of the Island were sympathetic and picturesque, I didn't see the shock horror some express, mild amusement with some shaking of the head at the idiots.

I don't reckon we will see an upsurge in criminal migration because the "bird" is easy, but you cannot tell with our master criminals.

• Like 4
On 8/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, 2112 said:

I wonder if this Prison Mockumentally is going to feature those people who are arrested for non payment of fines, and are then made to serve a custodial sentence, which in reality costs more than the fine - therefore teaching the offender nothing. If the offender is fined, a fixed amount should be deducted from their benefits or attachment of earnings made. If the offender has any assets - car, mobile and reasonable tech, surely it could be sold at Coroners Auction to recoup costs/fines, like the old days. 

Would that also apply to non payment of TV licences ?

I have a few valid comments to make on this programme. 

In my opinion this makes a total mockery of the Isle of Man prison system as a whole. 

Most of the ‘guests’ in the Hilton have been in and out of prison for most of their lives. One even said he is doing ‘life in instalments’, he seemed proud of that

Just a simple google of their names proves that they are reoffending again and again, so how is the rehabilitation and resettlement working? It clearly isn’t. 

As a tax payer for all of my adult life I am angry and embarrassed. One inmate to one guard??? If that isn’t over staffing I don’t know what...privatise the place. 

Also I seen a comment on Facebook that was quickly and obviously  reported. 

One of the female guards in the programme with the bad teeth was actually dressed as an inmate when the female inmates were going to the gym passed the drug dog, how desperate and embarrassing, having to get an officer to dress as an inmate to make the numbers up. 

And as for the Governor writing to the victims and their families then saying that it’s their choice whether or not they turn on the tv or not...how cruel and insensitive. 

• Sad 1
45 minutes ago, jabba1990 said:

I have a few valid comments to make on this programme. 

In my opinion this makes a total mockery of the Isle of Man prison system as a whole. 

Most of the ‘guests’ in the Hilton have been in and out of prison for most of their lives. One even said he is doing ‘life in instalments’, he seemed proud of that

Just a simple google of their names proves that they are reoffending again and again, so how is the rehabilitation and resettlement working? It clearly isn’t. 

As a tax payer for all of my adult life I am angry and embarrassed. One inmate to one guard??? If that isn’t over staffing I don’t know what...privatise the place. 

Also I seen a comment on Facebook that was quickly and obviously  reported. 

One of the female guards in the programme with the bad teeth was actually dressed as an inmate when the female inmates were going to the gym passed the drug dog, how desperate and embarrassing, having to get an officer to dress as an inmate to make the numbers up. 

And as for the Governor writing to the victims and their families then saying that it’s their choice whether or not they turn on the tv or not...how cruel and insensitive. 

Where did this bit about the Prison Governor writing to victims and families come from ? I somehow doubt that, although nothing would surprise me. If indeed he did then that's unbelievably crass and unprofessional for a man in his position. Was that his decision or an ill-thought and amateurish instruction from the minister or chief exec at DHA ?

Can any one confirm this ?