Britain’s Best Little Prison

49 minutes ago, jabba1990 said:

I have a few valid comments to make on this programme. 

In my opinion this makes a total mockery of the Isle of Man prison system as a whole. 

Most of the ‘guests’ in the Hilton have been in and out of prison for most of their lives. One even said he is doing ‘life in instalments’, he seemed proud of that

Just a simple google of their names proves that they are reoffending again and again, so how is the rehabilitation and resettlement working? It clearly isn’t. 

As a tax payer for all of my adult life I am angry and embarrassed. One inmate to one guard??? If that isn’t over staffing I don’t know what...privatise the place. 

Also I seen a comment on Facebook that was quickly and obviously  reported. 

One of the female guards in the programme with the bad teeth was actually dressed as an inmate when the female inmates were going to the gym passed the drug dog, how desperate and embarrassing, having to get an officer to dress as an inmate to make the numbers up. 

And as for the Governor writing to the victims and their families then saying that it’s their choice whether or not they turn on the tv or not...how cruel and insensitive. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one who spotted this.. I was sure she was one of the guards featured in it.. then there she is dressed as a prisoner.. perhaps someone from the prison could answer as to why this was done? Is it perhaps that they have actually got more officers than prisoners and they needed to make up the prisoner numbers..? How did they think this would not be spotted..??  perhaps it’s because the people responsible thought they could fool the viewers just like they are fooling the law abiding tax payers of the island into thinking this prison is anything more than a holiday camp .. the prisoners have a easy life and so do the people working there, High pay for easy work.. some of the staff working there must be worried to Hell now that someone is gonna pick up on this fantasy prison and investigate it.I wonder how many of these officers would last a month working in a mainland prison?? Not many I’m sure.. keep your eyes peeled let’s see how many times we can spot the moonlighting “ officer”.. who will she be next week?? The cleaner? The cook? Or maybe she will have a part as a male inmate..?

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Where did this bit about the Prison Governor writing to victims and families come from ? I somehow doubt that, although nothing would surprise me. If indeed he did then that's unbelievably crass and unprofessional for a man in his position. Was that his decision or an ill-thought and amateurish instruction from the minister or chief exec at DHA ?

Can any one confirm this ?

Hit the link then the audio in this post:

On 7/31/2019 at 7:01 PM, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: Prison writes to victims ahead of TV show airing

Listen to the rather smug Governor:

"We take victim issues very seriously.........we have sent letters out to those who might see someone........all we can do is what is reasonably practicable....at the end of the day if they want to switch on the television that is a matter for them"

Hey pal, how about doing something else that is reasonable practicable: Don't let a documentary be made about the Isle of Man Prison in the first place.

• Like 1

There is a further point here. By writing to people is an admission that there could be concerns.

How does Uncle Bob know who is affected? Who does he write to? The victim? How many victims were there? Their families too? Their friends? Witnesses? What about the crim's family and friends? What about the police and other agencies involved? What about...what about...what about....etc.

This crock of shit has got someone's name who is little more qualified than a fridge fixer written all over it.

Edited by gettafa
10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

There is a further point here. By writing to people is an admission that there could be concerns.

How does Uncle Bob know who is affected? Who does he write to? The victim? How many victims were there? Their families too? Their friends? Witnesses? What about the crim's family and friends? What about the police and other agencies involved? What about...what about...what about....etc.

This crock of shit has got someone's name who is little more qualified than a fridge fixer written all over it.

Fixing fridges actually requires a fair amount of skill/knowledge, much more than he possesses I would suspect.

• Like 1

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/factual/the-best-little-prison-in-britain-itv/5141626.article

Our eureka moment was discovering that the Isle of Man is not under MoJ jurisdiction. Development producer Will Brown got on to it and we headed there to meet governor Bob McColm. We immediately hit it off.

In other words, we realised that, by some quirk of British constitutional history, we (groovy London media hipsters) had - to our astonishment - found a corner of the British Isles where we could have full access to filming in a prison in a style reminiscent of reality TV. In a manner which would NEVER be tolerated in the UK itself.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Our eureka moment was discovering that the Isle of Man is not under MoJ jurisdiction. Development producer Will Brown got on to it and we headed there to meet governor Bob McColm. We immediately hit it off.

I wonder what made them immediately hit it off. No need for a sales pitch, persuasion or any seduction here.

The mention of TV and TV cameras and Bob McColm must have immediately envisaged himself waltzing across the celebrity dance floor or something. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I wonder what made them immediately hit it off. No need for a sales pitch, persuasion or any seduction here.

The mention of TV and TV cameras and Bob McColm must have immediately envisaged himself waltzing across the celebrity dance floor or something. 

Absolutely brilliant ha 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well according to the article

"Our eureka moment was discovering that the Isle of Man is not under MoJ jurisdiction. Development producer Will Brown got on to it and we headed there to meet governor Bob McColm. We immediately hit it off."

The Governor has a different story: "My first response [to the documentary series] was 'no chance'. I've been involved in productions before and I know what it takes'.

Isle of Man Examiner July 30 2019 page 8

1298227171_20190720IMEp08NoChance-Bob02.thumb.jpg.6c44fb34ea6564cee0aefd0221491fac.jpg

Edited by gettafa
Updated clipping