Britain’s Best Little Prison

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

... there are far, far more people unhappy with this TV show than are.

Can't see how you can say this as a certainty. Is it a farcebook conclusion?

What is it that makes the many so unhappy? 

• Like 2

That probation officer woman wasn't very nice, Whippy seems like a nice enough lad. The proper criminals are taken to higher security prisons, I expect Whippy is in the majority with the rest of the two bit weed heads incarcerated in there. It's warming that they're given chances to improve their options but sad that people like that probation woman have the right to talk to them in such a condescending way, who are ya(love)?

After seeing her I'm almost thinking of retraining as a probation person, I'd be much better than her.

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Can't see how you can say this as a certainty. Is it a farcebook conclusion?

What is it that makes the many so unhappy? 

You make a good point. I wasn't counting all the people in UK and the rest of the world - they probably love it. Just the locals such as newspaper comments online and in print, yep - Manx Forums, people I know generally and yes - good ol' Facebook.

Can I just say, I'm not necessarily arguing about the methods etc, just the fact that it has been made and  broadcast at all.

No need.

Maybe Bob wants to get in the Top 10 Most Luxurious Prisons in the World, which by th way includes HMPs:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

The scenery and publicity for the Island is fantastic far better than any that the Tourist industry have paid for for many years and they have shown lots of it not a quick glimpse. Win, win I would say.

Yes Sidney, people across the UK will be tuning in to see the grittier side of prison life and thinking "ooh, lovely hills, must book a holiday there". Bit like '24 hours in A+E' makes me want to visit London. Not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I thought the scenery was a diversion and showcased the island as a nice place to visit.

The commentator stated that the sentences were harsher here than across - another plus if jail time is regarded as a difference as to whether a person commits a crime or not .

We will only see what the producer wants us to see, but overall, I could think of it being much worse.

• Thanks 1

The sad thing is that this programme (if Minister Malarkey et al had bothered to get to grips with the production team), could have been a great one hour documentary. It could have reflected the positives which are - thankfully, it is properly funded and staff ratios are utopian; the fact that as a consequence Parole has to be earned because the management aren't under pressure for space. I have a good friend who has just retired from the prison service in the UK after working in some of Scotland's toughest prisons, and he cannot believe what he has been watching on TV.

But no - yet again, Malarkey has been well and truly hoodwinked, and now we have ended up with a cringeworthy comedic reality show that is nothing more than 30 minutes of "Trash TV" on a Wednesday. From the hill-billy music through to Stephen Fry's patronising narration, its embarrassing.

All we need now is for the programme to win some TV award.

And so far, the Governor (who I am told was very opposed to cameras coming in) is being left to deal with the press, while Minister Malarkey is nowhere to be seen - funny that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I suspect the dude living in his camper in the car park during TT was probably being a bit disingenuous. I'm guessing he'd rented his house out for the duration as opposed to the 'difficulty of getting home.' 

Or he'd heard the cameras were in..

I don’t believe for a second that this clusterfuck of a production would have gone ahead if the Prison Governor had refused to allow it. The Minister does not have that much authority over the Governor. He acquiesced to this production and the production company “hit it off” with him. He now says he is hurt by the criticism. Sorry but everyone in authority is liable for criticism when the decisions they make are fundamentally flawed. This series of silly programmes are unnecessary, embarrassing and woefully ill-advised. Mr McColm must accept that, as a consequence his judgement is subject to question, as is everyone else who played an active part in facilitating it. Ultimately you can’t not expect prisoners to show off in front of tv cameras, but prison staff and managers should be expected to demonstrate more professional judgement. Harsh, but fair. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I suspect the dude living in his camper in the car park during TT was probably being a bit disingenuous. I'm guessing he'd rented his house out for the duration as opposed to the 'difficulty of getting home.' 

I can tell as fact that this is not correct. 

• Thanks 2

The governor was on Manx Radio Mandate this morning  and sounding a bit forlorn over the criticism. I'm not sure what he expected.

Still no reason why he allowed this to take place.

He seems to be having a lot of woes, not just with personal criticism but with the production company too and speaks to them consistently. I wonder how much of his day is spent talking to the filmees?

But whatever, all this could have been entirely prevented - if only he could have stopped himself and said "No"

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1