Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Britain’s Best Little Prison

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

... which is why this series was so ill-advised from the start (although putting cameras in front of narcissists is usually the key to good reality telly - which again somebody should have worked out from the start). 

When the House of Keys is back from their summer holidays I hope someone is going to ask "Why?"

And then a follow up question: "Who?"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

When the House of Keys is back from their summer holidays I hope someone is going to ask "Why?"

I’m not that bothered myself. Rest assured Malarkey will get the blame when it’s pretty well known he’s not a well man and I doubt he was that hands on in the decision process anyway. The slopey shouldered civil servants will just shrug and roll their eyes and lessons will be learned (again). There’s no point in getting bent out of shape about it. We largely have crap chief execs with even crapper people reporting into them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's absolutely standard

Again this is standard. 

I realise it would be standard. I used "Series 1" as a stepping stone to make a point. It strikes me that such as Bob, Bill and Dan et al may well have dreamed of this being a smash hit worldwide series showing what wonderful people they are involved with DHA and the prison on Isle of Man.

Just the sniff of a TV camera has a way of doing that.

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m not that bothered myself. Rest assured Malarkey will get the blame when it’s pretty well known he’s not a well man and I doubt he was that hands on in the decision process anyway. The slopey shouldered civil servants will just shrug and roll their eyes and lessons will be learned (again). There’s no point in getting bent out of shape about it. We largely have crap chief execs with even crapper people reporting into them. 

I wish Bill all the best. But he will have had some input.

He is our Home Secretary. If he is unable then his position needs to have a stand-in.

If it turns out that when the Home Affairs Minister is absent then departments and arms of the department can call in the TV cameras for a reality TV jaunt then there is something seriously wrong with our government.  .

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

I wish Bill all the best. But he will have had some input.

He is our Home Secretary. If he is unable then his position needs to have a stand-in.

I still think that’s unfair in the circumstances. The politicians aren’t running the show but the CS are happy for them to be blamed for every crappy decision made in their name. They can’t win. I can’t see why anyone would want to accept payment for being a figurehead of any department which is basically staffed by incompetent people who will inevitably just make them look stupid at some stage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we're apportioning blame it's worth pointing out again that the Cabinet Office (and hence the Chief Minister) were also aware of this and had input:

The Government Communication Service has been involved with the project from the start. Advice was given to the Prison Governor regarding the contract and subsequent media appearances.

The Service advised that any behind the scenes documentary would create debate and that there would be no editorial control but this should be balanced with the potential benefit that the documentary would bring. It is expected that over the six week series the successful progressive regime run by the Prison Governor for the Department of Home Affairs would be highlighted providing a positive view of rehabilitation in the Island.

So we don't know where the greater pressure was coming from - the DHA and the Governor wanting to make the prison look good or the GCS wanting to make the Island get publicity on a coverage at any price basis.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Much as I have enjoyed it I think one series is sufficient.    The views of the Island have been appreciated by people, talking to some visitors and they were saying they loved it and thought the panoramic views were great.   

It has been a bit more popular than I expected, getting around 3 million viewers a week.  Which may not sound a lot by historic standards, but Episode 3 was to 20th most popular commercial TV programme of that week and, given that most of the places above were six Corries and seven Emmerdales plus Newses etc, it's usually been one of the top two or three non-regular programmes. 

Even including all TV it has usually been around number 40.  But the truth is that no programmes get the massive viewing figures that there used to be in the past (especially of course in August).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

The very few staff that were shown too looked like power hungry/camera loving narcissists. Probably thought this would get them a gig on love island or I’m a celebrity get me out of here 

They could have at least found a few good looking ones to be filmed

Edited by jabba1990

On 8/27/2019 at 8:48 PM, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Anyone else see the video of the "Goldie" throwing punches pissed up on Twitter.....

Back to the clink you go Oxygen thief.....

Just seen it. Pathetic punch n’all. Thug life my arse. 

34 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Just seen it. Pathetic punch n’all. Thug life my arse. 

Typical nobody...

On 8/27/2019 at 10:09 PM, finlo said:

Sounds like that film, Bob, Sue and Rita too!

Just as grim but not as much fun.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It has been a bit more popular than I expected, getting around 3 million viewers a week.  Which may not sound a lot by historic standards, but Episode 3 was to 20th most popular commercial TV programme of that week and, given that most of the places above were six Corries and seven Emmerdales plus Newses etc, it's usually been one of the top two or three non-regular programmes. 

Even including all TV it has usually been around number 40.  But the truth is that no programmes get the massive viewing figures that there used to be in the past (especially of course in August).

It's very respectable ratings particularly for something that must have cost next to nothing to make. The golden combination for television executives everywhere.