Britain’s Best Little Prison

On 8/28/2019 at 2:54 PM, TheTeapot said:

Spoke to an old woman at the train station this morning, she said she's been watching the programme and thinks its great. Said it was really funny, sure that it isn't as relaxed as it appeared, thought the strong woman was the beat person on it, and that the Island looks beautiful. She said she hasn't been to the Island since she was a kid (she was at least 70) and that she might take a trip over next summer. So maybe there is something in this tourism lark.

I'm sure this is so.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

On 8/27/2019 at 9:22 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

Between this and the prison officer up for smuggling mobiles this just takes the biscuit. Who on earth in their right mind signed off that series? They need to go on the same PR course as Rob Callister! 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

It wouldn’t surprise me. You can only hope the UK press don’t pick up on either event and report on them as it will be a another huge PR own goal. But if that’s all over Twitter it might be funny. Must have a look and see if I can find it. 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:40 PM, gettafa said:

I think Dan, Bill, Bob & Co have opened pandora's box.

Why did they do this? Why?

Sometimes we tend to forget that what seems like a big deal to us on the Island really isn't in UK terms. Whatever we think is a disgrace or embarrassing will pale into insignificance by comparison with what people see on a day to day basis over there. Whatever gobshites we have here are amateurs compared to those in the cities across. The comments I've heard and seen seem to centre around how easy the regime is and the how photogenic the Island is. That's about it. I really don't see any long term implications from it whatsoever. Calls for inquiries are hysterical. Just let it end and blow away then put Margo in charge.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 5

Regarding the 'low re-offending rates'. 

Initially this had me puzzled too, as they all seem to be regulars there.  But perhaps it's only the idiots who are likely to re-offend that were willing to be filmed for the series?

If I had been locked up for something I had genuine remorse for/made a mistake and had no intention of ever getting locked up again, I would damn well ensure I wasn't filmed to advertise the fact I was locked up in the first place and give myself the chance to build my life back up again outside, without the fame from being featured on the show. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's very respectable ratings particularly for something that must have cost next to nothing to make. The golden combination for television executives everywhere.

Probably costs more than you might think, simply because with this sort of documentary you can be recording a hundred times the material that you use.  I think they had a full time crew on it for six months plus some follow-ups and so on, according to that Broadcast article.  That's why there's so so much scripted 'reality' on TV at the moment - you have to film a lot less if you know what is going to happen.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Probably costs more than you might think, simply because with this sort of documentary you can be recording a hundred times the material that you use.  I think they had a full time crew on it for six months plus some follow-ups and so on, according to that Broadcast article.  That's why there's so so much scripted 'reality' on TV at the moment - you have to film a lot less if you know what is going to happen.

Small independent team though. Even if they had a crew on it for 6 months. Drama can cost north of a million an hour and get less viewers.

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Much as I have enjoyed it I think one series is sufficient.    The views of the Island have been appreciated by people, talking to some visitors and they were saying they loved it and thought the panoramic views were great.   

They should have done it the other way round - 2 minutes of prison chit chat and the rest of panoramic views

• Like 3
3 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Just speed read the paper in the shop. Seems he did actually say to the cops, "do you know who I am". This is what happens when you have too much fame too young, seen it with bieber and britney too. He'll be checking in to the priory next

I look forward to reading his memoirs when he gets out, in/out, in/out, in/out, in..........

Out of interest, here's a shot of this week's newspapers.

With this new dimension, I am sure the newspapers will be provided more of such national headline grabbing stuff:

2140300062_20190827-29TVPrison02.thumb.jpg.055b52b8ec8af1e5fb74d76baac1ef21.jpg

5 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Just speed read the paper in the shop. Seems he did actually say to the cops, "do you know who I am". This is what happens when you have too much fame too young, seen it with bieber and britney too. He'll be checking in to the priory next

What gets me about this is his assumption that they didn't all know exactly who he was, even before Amazing Productions turned up.  If anything doormen (and coppers) are going to take him even less seriously now. 

And of course they will all know that he's on probation for another two years or whatever and that if he misbehaves he will be straight back inside.  He doesn't even have to commit and be convicted of another crime.  Though it doesn't seem to have occurred to Mr Goldsmith.

Looking at Goldie, I sort of feel sorry for his decline to return back to jail. Have the TV and media pressurised him into becoming jailbait and sort of ensured that he wouldn't stay out as there would be someone willing to goad him into returning? I don't know if our society actually is able to help recidivists and their only real option or choice is to revert back to what they know? What exactly is the solution? Do we just lock them away for a period of time only for them to do the same when they're out? What does society do to help them join society again? Do we only give them benefits, find some low cost shitty accommodation and say, hey, do something positive but you'll have to find your own work, but don't worry about that as no-one will; employ you anyway?

Is he wasting his time being out because no-one will give him the opportunity of doing something thats positive for both him and an employer? 

To those reading this - I'm not making it personal and not making excuses for him or others who rejoin society, but are our expectations too high? Have we really helped him/others to reintegrate into society where they become worthwhile and feel that they are able and capable of making the most of any job offered or do we say that your on your own now and we expect you to cockup as we don't really care?

Is there anyone out there willing to offer prisoners or ex prisoners jobs or are we waiting for them to be released where they create a ripple of victims because they have no hope?

I expect some shitty cheesy and flippant replies as thats what MF only does these days and would be surprised if anyone actually said something clever and positive to stop people returning to prison. Personally - I have little hope of MF members doing anything positive accept to write some stupid egocentric comment with no real solutions. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, manxy said:

I expect some shitty cheesy and flippant replies as thats what MF only does these days and would be surprised if anyone actually said something clever and positive to stop people returning to prison. Personally - I have little hope of MF members doing anything positive accept to write some stupid egocentric comment with no real solutions. 

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot. 

No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2