Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Britain’s Best Little Prison

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Perhaps some form of weedkiller could be sprayed or cutting device employed?

Most efficient way of doing that would surely be to pull some sort of device  behind a locomotive of some kind..... :)

You'd think so wouldn't you.

4 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

How's that work?

Not biting the hand that feeds I suppose. If they piss off one police force, they piss them all off. Suddenly, the in car camera footage and ride-alongs dry up, and there is no programme....

Well rather than discuss anything about this programme, someone has conjured up a rumour for Minister Malarkey to answer:

"Does the Isle of Man Prison, Department of Home Affairs or government take prisoners off the hands of UK authorities in exchange for money?"

(wtf!?)

Story here: Manx Radio

Maybe Manx Radio reports have been dredging the pubs for a news story or something?

This is tabloid 'news' at it's very best such as when a group of Fleet Street reporters started making stories up in the pub and someone said, hey, what about Elton John having an affair with Princess Margaret? So off someone went to phoned Elton John and ask him if he was having an affair with Princess Market. The answer of course was a resounding "No".

The headline next day was "Elton John strongly denies having an affair with Princess Margaret"

So Manx Radio, how about asking Minister Malarkey wtf this programme is all about, why and who ok'd it? Or just make up or find a ridiculous rumour to follow up on.

Edited by gettafa

I suspect this is a non-story. Let's face it, the Isle of Man sends serious criminals and those serving a long sentence to the UK, for which money will take hands. So, it is more than likely that there is a reciprocal arrangement, where the Isle of Man takes in a few low risk cases (at a price) to relieve the pressure on the UK system. 

That said, I still wonder what Malarkey was smoking when he sanctioned cameras going in.

From Manx Radio website:

ITV documentary: "there are bits I still wince at" says prison governor

Hey Bob! Hey Bill! How about don't even have a documentary in the first place. It's not compulsory unless you are helplessly gagging for the chance to be some sort of ridiculous celebrity yourselves.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4

Cannot wait to wince, prime spot, getting loads of advertising time already and just after Corrie.   Has to be worth a good few bob, if you think how many morons watch Luv Island and the Jungle crap it is going to be a massive hit.   Watch this space, remember who prophesied this.   Only 26 hours to go ........

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Cannot wait to wince, prime spot, getting loads of advertising time already and just after Corrie.   Has to be worth a good few bob, if you think how many morons watch Luv Island and the Jungle crap it is going to be a massive hit.   Watch this space, remember who prophesied this.   Only 26 hours to go ........

I think you could be right. The red tops will be all over this tomorrow.

I will wait for the classic "Net equivalent advertising spend" similar to which was trotted out when it was questioned if £24k on a dolls house hidden on a hill was a value for money deal.

Tomorrow is genuinely one of the most anticipated days in recent Manx History.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I will wait for the classic "Net equivalent advertising spend" similar to which was trotted out when it was questioned if £24k on a dolls house hidden on a hill was a value for money deal.

Tomorrow is genuinely one of the most anticipated days in recent Manx History.

Either that or it will drive home, on a UK national basis, just what a shower the governance of this Island really is.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Either that or it will drive home, on a UK national basis, just what a shower the governance of this Island really is.

Let's be blunt.  I don't think there are many people inside or outside the UK who can look at it over the last few years and believe that they have much to offer anyone else in terms of advice about governance at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I would imagine a country run by Boris Johnson would take a bit more than that to have governance problems driven home!

50 minutes ago, Chris C said:

I would imagine a country run by Boris Johnson would take a bit more than that to have governance problems driven home!

Agreed..but 2 wrongs are nothing to be proud of in any instance.

Prison governor says "The truth is, of course it's a risk, but then everything you do is balance of benefit and risk and we didn't do it lightly."

so what is the benefit exactly ?