Britain’s Best Little Prison

On 7/3/2020 at 1:54 PM, Neil Down said:

Convert the Calf of Man into an open prison...

You are Earl Louis Mountbatten of Burma and I claim my £5

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Southfork said:

Too true that place is a dump. 

it has probably got the best roads in this jurisdiction though.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It would certainly make a good Alcatraz. There'd be little chance of swimming across to the Sound to escape. Those old lighthouses could finally be put to use as well.

I was going to suggest that swimming across The Sound was feasible enough during slack tide. Google kicks up plenty of information including this link from 2007 Manx Forums:

There are plenty of swims across to the calf when the tide is favourable- some organised, some not. Plus, we have a lack of great whites in local waters, unlike Alcatraz. Basking sharks might not be much of a deterrent from entering the water 

• Like 1

I seem to remember hearing that in Summer, up to the 1950s, farmers used to swim their cows over to the Calf for summer grazing (and back again in Autumn).  Presumably some humans might be able to do the same thing - though presumably knowledge of tides would be useful.

I've kayaked through the Sound a few times, it's loads of fun and really hard. You have to be a very good swimmer and a bit nuts to try.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I seem to remember hearing that in Summer, up to the 1950s, farmers used to swim their cows over to the Calf for summer grazing (and back again in Autumn).  Presumably some humans might be able to do the same thing - though presumably knowledge of tides would be useful.

Are you hepeating?

A few years back, I suggested to the new Prison Governor a great way of filling the coffers with the new prison. Rendition flights! It seemed ideal - Learjet ready runway right next door, maximum security due to its moat. I reckon we could have creamed around £3-4m a year off the CIA. 

No appetite for it sadly. 

• Haha 1
On 7/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, Derek Flint said:

A few years back, I suggested to the new Prison Governor a great way of filling the coffers with the new prison. Rendition flights! It seemed ideal - Learjet ready runway right next door, maximum security due to its moat. I reckon we could have creamed around £3-4m a year off the CIA. 

No appetite for it sadly. 

I’m sure that’s one of the few viable options open to us.