Jump to content

Britain’s Best Little Prison


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prison certainly works for this guy doesn't it. Chronic recidivism is learnt behaviour for him and prison is almost a reward like giving a monkey a banana. Every time he loses he probably thinks he's

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself for an idiot.  No employer is going to give him any sort of chance for no other reason than he’s a complete dickhead. 

Posted Images

On 7/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, gettafa said:

Well rather than discuss anything about this programme, someone has conjured up a rumour for Minister Malarkey to answer:

"Does the Isle of Man Prison, Department of Home Affairs or government take prisoners off the hands of UK authorities in exchange for money?"

(wtf!?)

Story here: Manx Radio

Maybe Manx Radio reports have been dredging the pubs for a news story or something?

This is tabloid 'news' at it's very best such as when a group of Fleet Street reporters started making stories up in the pub and someone said, hey, what about Elton John having an affair with Princess Margaret? So off someone went to phoned Elton John and ask him if he was having an affair with Princess Market. The answer of course was a resounding "No".

The headline next day was "Elton John strongly denies having an affair with Princess Margaret"

So Manx Radio, how about asking Minister Malarkey wtf this programme is all about, why and who ok'd it? Or just make up or find a ridiculous rumour to follow up on.

 

 

Daft thing is, that it would make the perfect Cat A dispersal prison for Britain’s most dangerous offenders. It genuinely could be a money spinner.

I did suggest CIA rendition prisoners to the previous Governor, flown in by Lear Jet. A sort of European Guantanamo. That would have paid well.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Daft thing is, that it would make the perfect Cat A dispersal prison for Britain’s most dangerous offenders. It genuinely could be a money spinner.

I did suggest CIA rendition prisoners to the previous Governor, flown in by Lear Jet. A sort of European Guantanamo. That would have paid well.

You are Lord Mountbatten and I claim my £5

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Can't wait to see the Manx equivalent of Peter Vaughan's "Genial" Harry Grout!

I think a "Mr Bridger" would be more appropriate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

As others have said, this should never have been permitted. Which clown sanctioned this 'Benidorm Behind Bars' and let the cameras in ? I'd have said no instinctively. Another own goal for the Isle of Man and which makes us look like idiots. 

Let’s give it a chance. They seem to be promoting it as a nice prison which results in a low rate of recidivism. Isn’t that a good thing? I know people think that prison should be about bread and water and breaking rocks, and I somewhat agree, but for most offenders rehabilitation has to be part of it.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

As others have said, this should never have been permitted. Which clown sanctioned this 'Benidorm Behind Bars' and let the cameras in ? I'd have said no instinctively. Another own goal for the Isle of Man and which makes us look like idiots. 

Sadly I have come to the conclusion that we are xxxxxx idiots .... look at what we elect ....  look at how we blow cash...... look at how we are portrayed ........ LOL

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, asitis said:

Sadly I have come to the conclusion that we are xxxxxx idiots .... look at what we elect ....  look at how we blow cash...... look at how we are portrayed ........ LOL

Cash is never ever blown, although of course we are meant to think that, and we criticize those that have control of it roundly for that reason.

It is only blown as far as we are concerned. The cash goes somewhere. It doesn't 'disappear'.

Many of these schemes are just a way to extract your cash into the pockets of others. OK, at the end of it you may get a power station that works, or a sewage system that doesn't, or a much needed ferry terminal,  but ultimately the main wonga has been legally transferred into the pockets of fat cats.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not watch it before condemning it, you may be pleasantly surprised, people who are imprisoned are human beings and if they are treated as such they may come out without resentment towards being imprisoned and try to improve their lives.   Whatever way you look at it I bet there are a lot of people living the good life who but for the grace of god and connections have managed to avoid a similar fate.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course they're human beings Sid but in most cases they've failed to act like it. Rehabilitation is for the most part bollocks. Rehabilitation is taking responsibility, self awareness, learning life's lessons and not going back for more. That should be the measure of it.

I agree with your last sentence (Sorry for the pun) though.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Of course they're human beings Sid but in most cases they've failed to act like it. Rehabilitation is for the most part bollocks. Rehabilitation is taking responsibility, self awareness, learning life's lessons and not going back for more. That should be the measure of it.

But if the measure of it is whether people are 'going back for more', then a low reoffending rate should be a good indication that it is working.  There's a lot of evidence that putting people in prison, especially for short sentences[1] doesn't really have much effect on their reoffending, so if the prison over here is making a difference, then it is worth looking at.

 

[1]  Because sending someone to prison will disrupt their life and they might lose their job, accommodation, and some elements of their support network, the lack of which may increase their likelihood of reoffending when they get out.  But they're not really there long enough for any rehabilitation work to have an effect or possibly even to be done.  This is probably made worse on the island by the way that people seem to spend a lot (or maybe all) of their sentence on remand.  On remand you can't do any rehabilitation work for a crime you haven't yet been convicted of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wrighty said:

Let’s give it a chance. They seem to be promoting it as a nice prison which results in a low rate of recidivism. Isn’t that a good thing? I know people think that prison should be about bread and water and breaking rocks, and I somewhat agree, but for most offenders rehabilitation has to be part of it.  

Gruel, I have no objection to giving them gruel. Once a week.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the list of names from this press released picture, I believe that none of these here have ‘learnt their lesson’ from previous incarceration? Hall especially seems a nasty piece of work with numerous convictions for drugs, and assaults from a quick google search? 

6F01D991-6F92-4108-8D9B-B85EF67CAA6D.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...