Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

War on plastic

46 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Totally agree. But didn't want to give dilligaf another reason to go off on one about cyclists.

Yeah, it was a joke, but if you watched any of le tour they throw their bottles and other rubbish all over the place.

• Like 2

They could have done that years ago but there is simply so little political will to get anything done over here that I'm surprised this is now planned. Why are plastic bags still allowed over here for example? Could have banned them years ago with a simple stroke of the pen. Doesn't work you say? Works bloody well. They did it when I lived in Makati, chaotic business city of Manila and guess what: people learned to live with it. Use reusable bags, boxes, paper bags, etc. ZERO excuses for not doing it here. Better late than never for the plastic ban I guess, but it's annoying that so little of what could be done really gets done here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Shoe said:

Totally agree. But didn't want to give dilligaf another reason to go off on one about cyclists.

dilli doesn't need a reason

• Haha 1

We recycle our plastic... I hope.  I have no idea what actually happens to it after it leaves us.  Does it go by sea to the UK?

34 minutes ago, war baby said:

We recycle our plastic... I hope.  I have no idea what actually happens to it after it leaves us.  Does it go by sea to the UK?

No, it goes into the incinerator and generates lots of lovely green electricity. Great stuff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, it was a joke, but if you watched any of le tour they throw their bottles and other rubbish all over the place.

they have zones they are meant to discard them in to make it easier to pick them up. And people want them as souvenirs! 

• Like 1

Wouldn't use a water fountain even if they put them everywhere. We had a whole house filter installed at home for about 10 years now and every now and then I'll taste the tap water if I'm round someone's house and once you've not drank chlorinated shite for a while you realise how awful it is.  

I am not annoyed Declan I just think they are not tackling the main problem.   As for Foxy I have nothing against young people just describing them as they are, I forgot the ear pieces.   They are on a whole much smarter than I am I could not listen to music, text on a mobile phone and drink out of a bottle at the same time even without the skateboard.

• Haha 1

It's just that the throwaway economics of our modern society allow concerns to make more money. Simple as. Although they'll also tell you that they're keeping the costs down for the consumer.

It's far cheaper to make and use disposable containers than incur the collection, washing and turnaround costs of keeping reusable stuff in circulation. And then we can just ship our junk plastic off to the Far East and forget about it too.

• Like 1

You only get economic growth if people are buying shit. That's all there is to it. Just continue being a good little consumer and shut the fuck up.

• Like 2

The young fall into two categories in this context. The fit and active probably carry reusable bottles. They will be pushing their fitness to heights which were unfashionable when the OP was out and about walking, and probably covering much longer distances. I use one of these for sport too. A quick drink works wonders for performance when you are at your limits. Then there is the other sort of young  person.    The ones who slob around and never take exercise.  They tend to be the ones who buy a sugary drink or even a bottle of water, because they fall for the marketing hype, and then discard it irresponsibly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Irresponsibly indeed, despite the recent furore on plastic waste, sea pollution and micro plastics into our own food chain.

There are still plastic  bottles being discarded hither and............ It would seem that these people have just not heard of the 'problem' ? ( perhaps ITV reality shows should be made to carry free ads for climate and environmental issues ???)

Our Govts recent back slapping introduction of legislation to ban certain plastic products, plastic drinking straws eg. is just a paste and copy of EU legislation bannnig these  products!!!

If the EU has banned these plastics, they will not be available for use  on the  Island, so we are banning something that is no longer available and claiming the cudos for this!!!

What could the Island  do that is over and beyond the the rest of the World?

BAN COCA COLA!!!!

Ok. not just coca cola but any drink in a plastic bottle that is available in an alternative container, a can or glass bottle. There isn't any reason that we could not stop these containers being imported, though not the product which might attract the attention of the products lawyers!!!

Well done the the govt for these bans but don't pretend that it is 'Home Grown; Idea.

Edited by Kopek
sense!