Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

The Laurence Lottery (the gift that keeps giving)

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

You'd think the place would be a veritable paradise with all that money sloshing about. Wouldn't you.

It doubtless is for the favoured and lucky some. And will remain so...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

It's certainly worth looking at, I just would have done a bit of ground work first before announcing it!

As always the meat of the story is hidden away at the end:

To test the market for a potential Manx International Lottery, the government agency Digital Isle of Man has asking interested parties the chance to comment at www.gov.im/procurement

If the proposal proves viable and is to be progressed, Digital Isle of Man will start a full tender process in due course.

Digital Isle of Man, the Treasury and the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission came up with the proposal.

Which makes the whole thing look as if it is basically about a whole lot of underemployed people making it look like they are doing something so as to stop themselves becoming unemployed[1].  Admittedly this describes about 95% of what the DfE actually does (or at least of their budget).

But there's another oddity going here.  If you look at the Expression of Interest document  it ways

Expressions of interest must be submitted through the above Portal by noon on Tuesday 6th August 2019.

So apologies to anyone putting a bid together.  But it does raise some interesting questions about why it is being publicised so late in the day.  Either there is already some chum lined up to be the Favoured One and they wanted to make sure that it is a one-horse race, even at this early stage[2] or they are panicking because there's not been a sniff of interest.  The Expression of Interest looks quite tightly specified, so it's probably the first, but it's the DfE so incompetence is the default explanation.

While Amadeus is correct that lotteries can indeed be a nice little earner for those running them, it's not a guarantee, no one is obliged to buy tickets and there is already a lot of competition.  And even if it succeeds, how much of that 'trickles down' is another matter.  What worries me is that, if the whole thing is a disaster, despite there being no legal obligation (see the EoI) the Island ends up picking up the bill to protect the civil servants who were supposed to oversee it 'the reputation of the Island'.  Rather as happened with the Barclays MEA loans.

[1]  We can dream.

[2]  The document is heavily larded with warnings that this is all provisional.  As it has to be, because there is no legal basis for one, and as far as I can tell no political will.

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

So apologies to anyone putting a bid together.  But it does raise some interesting questions about why it is being publicised so late in the day.  Either there is already some chum lined up to be the Favoured One and they wanted to make sure that it is a one-horse race, even at this early stage[2] or they are panicking because there's not been a sniff of interest.  The Expression of Interest looks quite tightly specified, so it's probably the first, but it's the DfE so incompetence is the default explanation.

Hmm, Vision 9 lessons been learned? Not a chance!

46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Either there is already some chum lined up to be the Favoured One and they wanted to make sure that it is a one-horse race, even at this early stage[2] or they are panicking because there's not been a sniff of interest. 

My guess is the former.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

So apologies to anyone putting a bid together.  But it does raise some interesting questions about why it is being publicised so late in the day.  

Published on IoMToday late in the day certainly, but probably published wider afield previously. 

I don’t think that many possible operators would be IoMToday readers. 

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Published on IoMToday late in the day certainly, but probably published wider afield previously. 

I don’t think that many possible operators would be IoMToday readers. 

Well no, though I couldn't find any evidence of the EoI being advertised anywhere else and I'm not sure when it opened.  Indeed it doesn't even appear anywhere on the Isle of Man Government Tender Plan (1 April 2019, but supposed to be kept up to date since) for Treasury or DfE.  So it certainly looks last minutes, which might suggest pressure from outside interests imposing their own plan.

• Like 2

Well no, though I couldn't find any evidence of the EoI being advertised anywhere else and I'm not sure when it opened.  Indeed it doesn't even appear anywhere on the Isle of Man Government Tender Plan (1 April 2019, but supposed to be kept up to date since) for Treasury or DfE.  So it certainly looks last minutes, which might suggest pressure from outside interests imposing their own plan.

I has been covered in some gambling/gaming publications. It won't be on the tender plan, as they aren't tendering. Quote from the article "To test the market for a potential Manx International Lottery, the government agency Digital Isle of Man has asking interested parties the chance to comment at www.gov.im/procurement. If the proposal proves viable and is to be progressed, Digital Isle of Man will start a full tender process in due course."

Some of the gambling publications are sceptical about the idea.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kevster said:

I has been covered in some gambling/gaming publications. It won't be on the tender plan, as they aren't tendering. Quote from the article "To test the market for a potential Manx International Lottery, the government agency Digital Isle of Man has asking interested parties the chance to comment at www.gov.im/procurement. If the proposal proves viable and is to be progressed, Digital Isle of Man will start a full tender process in due course."

Some of the gambling publications are sceptical about the idea.

There are quite a few other Expressions of Interest in the Tender Plan, including some from Treasury and DfE.  Despite its title it seems to be meant to cover the whole process, so the absence is still surprising, though DfE often seem to think rules are for other people.

I'm not surprised there is a some scepticism in the trade press though.  There doesn't seem to be much thought behind the proposal apart from "Do whatever you want and pay us some money for it".   An 'international lottery' (if that is even a thing) would probably need to be more focused. 

There are quite a few other Expressions of Interest in the Tender Plan, including some from Treasury and DfE.  Despite its title it seems to be meant to cover the whole process, so the absence is still surprising, though DfE often seem to think rules are for other people.

I'm not surprised there is a some scepticism in the trade press though.  There doesn't seem to be much thought behind the proposal apart from "Do whatever you want and pay us some money for it".   An 'international lottery' (if that is even a thing) would probably need to be more focused. 

The 'Expression of Interest' part is the first stage of the tendering process. This lottery request is just aimed at getting comments from the gambling industry on the plausibility of such a scheme, and is it worth investigating further. Still a long way before any tendering process even starts

......... maybe its the Gawne expressions of interest required for a huge undertaking (SPCO) over Christmas and new year ! ..... oh there aren't any ! we'll have to buy it !!

Lotteries offer people life-changing wins.
People want to have their lives changed by life-changing amounts of money.
People participate in lotteries.

Countries offer lotteries that offer life-changing wins.
People participate in country lotteries that offer life-changing wins.
Some people that participate in country lotteries experience life-changing wins.
Most do not.

After the lottery pays out its winners, the lottery gives its remaining money to (shareholders/governments/good causes)
The amount of money that is left over after winners have received their winners is usually substantial.

This is the reason that countries create country lotteries.

5 hours ago, Viddy well said:

Coupled with our Governments insatiable appetite for cash to burn of course !

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 1:12 PM, Roger Mexico said:

So apologies to anyone putting a bid together.  But it does raise some interesting questions about why it is being publicised so late in the day.  Either there is already some chum lined up to be the Favoured One and they wanted to make sure that it is a one-horse race, even at this early stage[2] or they are panicking because there's not been a sniff of interest. 

If you do a quick Google on lottery and Isle of Man the likely preferred winner is already clear. Definitely the former than the latter but largely due to a general lack of interest. 

9 hours ago, Viddy well said:

Lotteries offer people life-changing wins.
People want to have their lives changed by life-changing amounts of money.
People participate in lotteries.

Countries offer lotteries that offer life-changing wins.
People participate in country lotteries that offer life-changing wins.
Some people that participate in country lotteries experience life-changing wins.
Most do not.

After the lottery pays out its winners, the lottery gives its remaining money to (shareholders/governments/good causes)
The amount of money that is left over after winners have received their winners is usually substantial.

That's almost poetic.... as in licence.... if you get my drift.