Steam Packet - Vehicle Check In using QR codes

ISS

As a fairly regular traveller between Liverpool and the Island I have noticed that in the last few weeks a new method of checking in vehicles has started at Douglas, though not at Liverpool. Present ticket at booth you are then sent to the appropriate lane. If you have an old ticket without the code, the other week I had one booked last year, in that case you are given one boarding card no matter how many people are in the car.

If you have a recent ticket as I did on Thursday evening you are just given the ticket back.

At boarding time the marshalling area staff come around and scan the QR codes either on your single boarding card or on your ticket on small PDA gadgets. The problem appears to be that this is a slower way than just collecting the cards. 

The BEN was running a bit late last night when she arrived but there was a fairly smart unloading.

However, when it came to boarding a lot of time appeared to be wasted by with the marshalling staff having to scan the QR codes. One a few cars appeared to need several scans before it worked and the whole loading process appeared much slower than usual than when one hands in the boarding card and drives on. 

The Ben departed around 20:11 and whilst some of the delay was due to her late arrival I am convinced from what I saw last night at least 10 minutes could be blamed on the new QR code system.

Can anyone explain why there has been a change from something that was swift and efficient to something which looks like using technology for technology's sake?

Reminds me of the old self service check in which existed inside the Sea Terminal during the mid 1990s into which tickets were inserted and a boarding pass printed. That didn't last very long before disappearing seems this new system might have a similar fate?

It started 10 days ago. They’ll speed up. However cold fingers and mitts in winter may slow it down.

Its a logical time saving device and system.

The info is auto uploaded onto their main systems, so the info doesn’t have to be transferred from the old collected boarding cards and scanned separately, giving full passenger manifest in case of incident.

No doubt they’ll extend to Heysham, Liverpool, Belfast and Dublin. It’ll tie in with producing ID to board. That’s been introduced for CI, even although they are in the CTA.

It will be a bit like airports run.

At checkin (or security at an airport) you are scanned and marked on the computer as arrived.

Once you are scanned at the boarding ramp (the airport gate), the company can see exactly who is on board and who is missing. At the moment if missing a car or passengers, the SP have to manually check all the boarding cards handed in to see who is missing.  Now they can see the name of whoever is missing and tannoy them.

1 hour ago, andrew said:

It will be a bit like airports run.

At checkin (or security at an airport) you are scanned and marked on the computer as arrived.

Once you are scanned at the boarding ramp (the airport gate), the company can see exactly who is on board and who is missing. At the moment if missing a car or passengers, the SP have to manually check all the boarding cards handed in to see who is missing.  Now they can see the name of whoever is missing and tannoy them.

I see the principal but as far as cars are concerned the vehicle passes the check in box and enters the compound.

It would be highly unlikely that a car and pax could go missing after check in though it is obviously possible for foot passengers who can check in and then wander off out of the terminal.  

Are they using these scanners for foot pax as well? 

My last foot trip was a few weeks back, before the scanners were introduced. My next in about 10 days time. 

John

The time saving will be around back office processes. If it’s fairly new, it will likely need bedding in and refreshing a couple of times before it’s an effective time saving customer side.

whenever I see people scanning, I assume it’s a small step away from self serve or automation.

6 hours ago, ISS said:

I see the principal but as far as cars are concerned the vehicle passes the check in box and enters the compound.

It would be highly unlikely that a car and pax could go missing after check in though it is obviously possible for foot passengers who can check in and then wander off out of the terminal.  

Are they using these scanners for foot pax as well? 

My last foot trip was a few weeks back, before the scanners were introduced. My next in about 10 days time. 

John

Pax can exit their car and go into the terminal and then out onto the street. Vehicle much harder. But it’s possible to be through check in before the incoming boat discharges it’s load of cars and sneak out if you are front of the line.

Some recent trips with Stena Line were pretty quick on the vehicle check-in. Boarding card and cabin key (if you book a cabin) issued at check-in.  And that's it. Boarding card not collected or scanned, You just board. This wasn't an exception, it appears to be the norm. Same procedure at both Birkenhead and Belfast.

5 hours ago, IOMRS97 said:

Some recent trips with Stena Line were pretty quick on the vehicle check-in. Boarding card and cabin key (if you book a cabin) issued at check-in.  And that's it. Boarding card not collected or scanned, You just board. This wasn't an exception, it appears to be the norm. Same procedure at both Birkenhead and Belfast.

But loading and unloading pax and vehicles are physically segregated where you quote as an eg. Once you’re through the checkin and in the maritime security zone you can’t get out other than onto the boat or exit via the security gate where they’ll scan you out.

It was the same at Cork, Dublin and Santander when I passed through last week. Total separation.

There’s separation at Portsmouth on all BF routes, but you could walk from your checked in car to the terminal and exit.

Cork issued a boarding card/cabin key with magnetic strip, but cabin doors on MV Connemara aren’t equipped with readers, so the boarding card/key had to be swapped for a physical key at information desk,