Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Non-Believer

Howard's First Three Years

Just noticed on MR News that Howard Quayle has delivered his (own) verdict on his administration's performance since taking office 3 years ago.

"We've walked the walk and tackled issues others shied away from", quoth Howard.

Well, some of his administration have certainly talked the talk anyway....

• Confused 2

24 carat pure bullshit from HRH The Chief Minister, who believes his own bullshit and hype. All talk and certainly no action. 

• Like 6

It was all about Brexit, everything, which turned out to be all about waiting to see what happens later.

Useless farmer voted in by farmers to keep the farmers in everyone else's money.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 2112 said:

24 carat pure bullshit from HRH The Chief Minister, who believes his own bullshit and hype. All talk and certainly no action. 

I'm not so sure.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find he's racked up some serious expense claims "lobbying" the HoC....

Oh no. Don't honour him with a thread of his own!!!

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I’m not so sure on some of the glib statements being bandied about regarding this current incarnation of government. Firstly we have had worse, much worse, than many of the current members of COMIN (including the CM). Secondly some things have been done. The only thing that has not changed is the actual government officers who are delivering most of the ineptitude, wastage, and fiscal carnage and until they start to be dealt with little will actually change. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m not so sure on some of the glib statements being bandied about regarding this current incarnation of government. Firstly we have had worse, much worse, than many of the current members of COMIN (including the CM). Secondly some things have been done. The only thing that has not changed is the actual government officers who are delivering most of the ineptitude, wastage, and fiscal carnage and until they start to be dealt with little will actually change. 

I actually believe HQ is the worst CM we've had. He lacks any kind of vision and leadership and comes across poorly when being interviewed by UK media on 'international issues' representing the IOM. God knows what he's like in 1:1 with Westminster types. I don't see any improvement evident in the IO and am actually more fearful of the future than I was before the last election. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The only thing that has not changed is the actual government officers who are delivering most of the ineptitude, wastage, and fiscal carnage and until they start to be dealt with little will actually change. 

But whose job is it, ultimately, to identify this and do the dealing with...?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But whose job is it, ultimately, to identify this and do the dealing with...?

I think we’re learning that it’s certainly neither Tynwald or Comin that has any control over the actual operations of the civil service or public sector in general. In fact the episode over the prom pretty much proves it as it should not require the Treasury Minister amongst others to get involved in sorting out a basic public project like that when it’s been (inevitably) screwed up. Government itself seems to be operating unchecked and largely out of control doing pretty much what it likes and will remain so. But that has been the way for the last 25 years I don't think it’s specifically down to this current Tynwald incarnation. My only real issue with Quayle is that Bell pretty much knew what sort of people he was dealing with in the civil service in that many were dangerous idiots who had to be managed whereas Quayle has not been prepared to rock the boat as he was only allegedly looking for one term. Cannan might be a different kettle of fish though longer term. 

In amongst this politically we’ve had the abortion changes, at least some changes on the IOMG pension scheme (even if they aren’t anywhere near enough), and the forthcoming cannabis debate/proposals which are pretty progressive. But everything fails in the delivery through a failed thick soup of red tape and active opposition to anything which might change the comfortable system that exists within the public sector.  

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Everything fails in the delivery through a failed thick soup of red tape and active opposition to anything which might change the comfortable system that exists within the public sector.  

...and the naysayers know that the best way to get things stopped is to kick off to the politicians.  We don't like change and we don't like what we have now.  An endless cycle of nothing happening, but Toad of Toad Hall has our back on Brexit so it's actually OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

...and the naysayers know that the best way to get things stopped is to kick off to the politicians.

Perhaps, I think that’s the main thing I’ve probably changed my view on in the last few years. Some are self evidently incompetent, some are very clearly useless narcissists, but in general I think the bulk of them are trying to do a good job but are being actively held back by a wall of self interest below them in keeping the waste and the bloat going for their own benefit. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Just noticed on MR News that Howard Quayle has delivered his (own) verdict on his administration's performance since taking office 3 years ago.

"We've walked the walk and tackled issues others shied away from", quoth Howard.

Well, some of his administration have certainly talked the talk anyway....

No, be fair...they have walked the walk... of a drunken sailor.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Twitch said:

I actually believe HQ is the worst CM we've had. He lacks any kind of vision and leadership and comes across poorly when being interviewed by UK media on 'international issues' representing the IOM. God knows what he's like in 1:1 with Westminster types. I don't see any improvement evident in the IO and am actually more fearful of the future than I was before the last election. 

Bang on. Sadly.

• Like 1