Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Chinahand

A Level Results

So, anyone had a relieved or crestfallen young person today with A level results arriving. 

Lots of hard work and whether it is University a job or a break it is a day people will long remember!

Long time since I collected my own A Level results. Pleased to say that my niece picked up 3 A*s and is off to study medicine.

• Like 1

That’s a huge achievement. Well done to her. 

Yes, we are very proud of her, in proper subjects as well (Biology, Chemistry and Maths). I know every year people talk about how these exams are getting easier but I think that is unfair to those who work hard to pass them as they cannot help when they were born. We thought she would do well, as she got 10 A*s for her GCSEs and her work ethic is incredible. 

I, on the other hand, discovered women and booze as a 16/17 year old, my own A Level results were not quite as impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I, on the other hand, discovered women and booze as a 16/17 year old, my own A Level results were not quite as impressive.

Your time will come. A levels in Women and Booze can’t be far off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

And what would the pass rate be? Who can understand women?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Long time since I collected my own A Level results. Pleased to say that my niece picked up 3 A*s and is off to study medicine.

Is that a new thing? There was no such thing as an A* at A Level when I did them: the top grade we could get, even with a pass score of 100 out of 100, was an A. 

35 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

Is that a new thing? There was no such thing as an A* at A Level when I did them: the top grade we could get, even with a pass score of 100 out of 100, was an A. 

No idea when they came in. A was the top grade when I did mine too, not that I got any of those! I am young enough to have done GCSEs but did so before they added A*s to them as well.

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Been in, in Peel for a while now....

8 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Yes, we are very proud of her, in proper subjects as well (Biology, Chemistry and Maths). I know every year people talk about how these exams are getting easier but I think that is unfair to those who work hard to pass them as they cannot help when they were born. We thought she would do well, as she got 10 A*s for her GCSEs and her work ethic is incredible. 

Your homework was more fun though...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rodders said:

And what would the pass rate be? Who can understand women?

That's beyond education...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, timetraveler said:

We used to have special papers - an ‘extra hard’ exam on the same syllabus that were graded 1, 2 or fail, with the 1 or 2 being used to modify your A level grade to A1 or B2 or whatever. 

On 8/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, mojomonkey said:

It's a question of priorities which at the time you are unfortunately too young to appreciate.  It's been many years since I would know where to find either the girl I was shagging at 18 or my A level certificate.  To this day however, booze can still be found in the door of my fridge. The important things in life endure. 

• Like 1